It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Alcoholic

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
allanbruce
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User
Alcoholic

Is there not an alcoholic site here? I wonder why they have classed it as addiction? I have always found a difference between alcoholism and drug addicts. I have had a dependence on Marijuana but I didn't class it as an addiction because I am an alcoholic primarily and the pot was only an extra benefit. I had always been able to take it or leave it. But alcohol was another matter. I am an alcoholic and I don't call it drug addiction. I was addicted to it but not to drugs. I have also found drug addicts to have a somewhat different personality and others have also said that to me. I have had to use medication for chronic pain for about 10 years but never found that I would want to abuse the drugs and always followed my doctors advice. Yet an addict may have problems with that. I have also been able to come down on the strength after my surgery without any real withdrawals and I will be glad the day I can stop altogether. So as I said I don't consider myself to be an addict at all. But when it comes to alcohol it is a big difference. One drink and I start to get the cravings and would be back on the booze if I did I too often. I think alcohol would be much harder to give up also. It is so entwined in ones life that it dominates everything. It is a life style and a socially excepted outlet that can be deadly. It has caused way more deaths than drugs I would think as the innocent often end up being the victims.

This is probably a controversial topic but I believe it is important. I tried doing NA but I don't need them I need AA. I also need another alcoholic to share my experiences with as an addict has different problems to me. I can use narcotics without any concern about developing an addiction because it effects me differently to alcohol. I just light up once I have that first drink and I can drink for days only sometimes using drugs to help me stay awake. Not really for the extra buzz but so I can drink more alcohol because that is what my body craves. My body doesn't crave the drugs.
I know this is different for an addict because he may drink but has to have the drugs or will go into withdraws. I realise the body also withdraws from alcohol causing the DT's which can be fatal if not treated correctly. A couple beers can help that or I believe valium is used to help with that problem. I am not an expert but this is my opinion.
If anyone wants to help me understand I would be happy to listen but as I said this is just in my experience and I am not certain about how it works.
Please help me to understand if I am wrong.
Allan.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
musicman3
(male)

musicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB User
Re: Alcoholic

I think your points are very vailid. There is a difference in alcoholism and drug addiction. There are some commonalities as well. This board does provide us with support which is key for both. I just wrote on a thread last night as to why I do not believe in AA for me, as I do not drink. If I was told today that I could never have a sip of alcohol ever again in my life, I wouldn't even blink. I do not drink at all. The problem with alcohol is that it is socially acceptable and easily accessible, which, I think, would make recovery very hard for someone.

The commonality between the two lies in the fact that there is a dependence on our bodies that require us to use or abuse the substances. And in that, there can be root causes that cause us to use the substances to escape issues while our bodies have become physically and mentally dependent.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
allanbruce
Senior Veteran
(male)

I got sober in 2002 after 25 years practising alcoholic but the last 3 years I haven't been at meetings much for a number of reasons but I really need them now. AA that is. Three years back I lost my cousin and the father of my niece and nephew. My cousin was one of my closest friends most of my younger life and it was hard to loose him. He took his own life after loosing his job of over 30 years. He left 2 children a wife and parents. He was also having alcohol problems and depression.
My ex brother in law, I rode road bikes with drank and drugged with over many years and his children loved him though I was more like their father than he was. It also hurt to loose him after not seeing him for about 15 years we where just becoming friends again when he took his life.
I had to clean his home and deal with his solicitor in the settling of his estate in another state. During this time I also was battling with depression, chronic pain and sciatica leaving me in bed up to 20 hours a day. Before my surgery I had not been able to walk for more than about 10 minutes and not without a cane. I was also on large amounts of pain medication building from 2002 until recently. I had seen 6 surgeons, had over 100 injections in my facet joints and my medication was steadily increased.
As you can imagine this has been very challenging time for me but I have been given another chance. Six weeks back I had spine fusion surgery on my lower back. It has been successful beyond my dreams. It was made possible only by the help and support of my young brother and my parents. I owe them more than the money they helped me with. I did save some of that money but will pay my brother his when I am back on my feet as it were. I am very happy but have a long way to go in recovering not only physically but emotionally and spiritually.
So I may be here looking for some help also. Please don't feel that I am looking for pity but I know I have some way to go in getting back on my feet.
Allan

Old 02-17-2011, 05:41 AM   #4
positiveadjust
(male)

positiveadjust HB User

Having at least one drink a day is perfectly healthy for you. There are asserted personality attributes that are casual among alcoholics. This is why traditional coping methods work for every alcoholic condition. One key to enjoying life while being in a relationship with a problem drinker is knowing what the personality looks like. True alcoholics have a hard time admitting that they have a problem indulging in the so called "occasional" drink which is every day or every hour until it becomes a part of their lives & they can't function without it. It's becomes they're liquid crack. But no you're not an alcoholic my friend just take it easy & enjoy yourself you'll be fine.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
dbrock
(male)

dbrock HB Userdbrock HB User

Heh, I attend AA and NA meetings and this comes up often, one bashing the other ( not saying thats what this is ) but to me it's all the same, alcohol is a drug, oxycontin is a drug. We're all different but the urges and cravings are the same in my eyes. I prefer AA.

Last edited by dbrock; 02-17-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
allanbruce
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sorry positiveadjust but one drink at anytime could set off my condition which is a compulsion to drink which I have no control over. This is a physical condition that all alcoholics have along with the mental obsession of wanting to drink so it is crazy for any alcoholic to think that they can have one drink a day. I know I am an alcoholic and should never drink at all. As far as addiction goes I am not addicted to any drug even though I use a pain killer. My choice of drug has always been alcohol and other drugs donít affect me that way. I now use a patch for pain as it is slow release so there is little chance of me being addicted to it. I had no trouble coming off the oxicodone as I am not an addict. But I definitely am an alcoholic so AA is the only place that can help me as there is no cure for alcoholism only a daily reprieve which I get through my higher power I call God. AA basically is a reminder that the disease is only kept at armís length by not picking up the first drink, going to meetings and handing over my will to a higher power. My best thinking will only destroy my life and lead me to a drink. Iím afraid my brain is hard wired that way because of over 25 years of problem drinking.
This is my opinion and I understand this because of years of work with AA, the steps and having a good sponsor. I need to go to AA meetings for the rest of my life otherwise I could drink again and that would either lead me to a hospital or my death. I know this from past experience. When I drink I canít control my behaviour. It is different to using my medication under a doctorís instruction.
Allan (Alcoholic).

Closed Thread