It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Dizziness and Weird Feeling in My Head: a postponed reaction to Ambien W/D?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Sleepless in RI
(female)

Sleepless in RI HB User
Dizziness and Weird Feeling in My Head: a postponed reaction to Ambien W/D?

I got off of Ambien on Feb 15th (didn't use it every night, but when I didn't, I used benadryl or valium - but valium only for a month, 60 mg all in all - not regularly). I did take one half of ambien on Feb 24th, but NOTHING since then (except some melatonin). I have to add: I did not taper.

I expected withdrawals, or at least insomnia, but I was completely fine for the first week, then I started being VERY dizzy, then I got bouts of something that is almost like vertigo, even though it actually feels more as if I'm on a boat - very unsteady, the world somehow floating, fluid...

I also started to get this strange feeling in my head, almost impossible to describe. My brain feels like a computer that briefly freezes: like a little glitch in the system. No pain, no sounds. Doesn't feel "electric," as most people describe brain zaps. (And if they were that, would they start 10-14 days after my last ambien?). This glitch is accompanied by a feeling that my brain is falling down and into itself - a very, very unpleasant feeling. This, after 15 days off of drugs, I started experiencing throughout the day. Otherwise, I didn't have other W/D symptoms, except for anxiety.

For now, I only saw my GP and she didn't see anything wrong with the reflexes or pupil reactions. She doesn't think it's ambien W/D because I was fine for the first 8-9 days. I almost went to the ER yesterday. Could this be from the d-mn ambien ("added" by one month of valium?)?

I posted this on Other Health Topics, thinking it can be caused by anything, but I'd like to reach those with experience with ambien (and/or) valium.
Thanks for listening!

Last edited by Sleepless in RI; 03-12-2011 at 10:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
musicman3
(male)

musicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB User
Re: Dizziness and Weird Feeling in My Head: a postponed reaction to Ambien W/D?

It could very well be ambien withdrawal.. I know many who have had a tough time getting off the stuff and have the syptoms you have described. How long were you on Ambien?? I take it off and on myself but have never had a dependence on it at all, but I really hate the drug. Toxic feeling to me. It works for 2 nights than it will not work at all. I also had a fightening incident in 2009. I went to bed with 30 pills and I woke up the next day with them all gone. I think I posted that already here. Anyway, when I get a script for it, I get it for 6 pills with 5 refills. Anxiety can also cause the symtoms you are having as well. I suffer from anxiety so I know!!

Old 03-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Sleepless in RI
(female)

Sleepless in RI HB User

Thanks Musicman! Hope you're doing well? I do remember your horror story with the bottle. (I was afraid of that and was trying to hide my bottle after I take the toxic little pill - once couldn't find it the next day because I managed to forget where I hid it from myself. Felt really ridiculous.)

I was first on benadryl for around 2 years (with an occasional - off and on - ambien) and then started taking them almost all the time a year and a half ago. (5-10 mg a night, 15 mg tops - but that was rare.)

Decided to stop because I just wasn't myself anymore - tired, brain-dead, bad memory, dizzy, started to get the brain glitches that I experience now (that's why I started to think: maybe it's just something happening to my brain, maybe it has nothing to do with ambien).

If all this is from W/D - can't believe what I did to myself! I don't want to whine too much, but I've felt really really horrible for the past week. I even had to work, had a meeting with someone and in the middle of the conversation, everything started moving, floating... I was clutching the desk desperately, trying to look normal. I want this to end!!!

Last edited by Sleepless in RI; 03-12-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
oxygirl
Veteran
(female)

oxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB User

wow sleepless! that sounds real scary. I am sorry this is happening to you. I haven't heard of those symptoms but that is not to say that isn't what it is. I would have thought u would have them sooner. Let me ask u an off the wall question. Did your doc check your ears? An inner ear infection or even fluid in the eardrum can cause the same symptoms.

I also don't sleep well. I don't have it to the extent you do as I will sleep on and off throughout the day if I have to. However, it is around 4 am here (with the time change) and I am going strong! Didn't sleep today either. I have fibromyagia and chronic fatigue but yet I still don't get quality sleep. Ambien scares me. my daughter takes it and i hate that but she is a lot like u describe she can sometimes fall asleep but can't stay asleep. It is a crazy time in which we live and we have lots more added stresses to us than previous generations. Although we may have technology, do we actually have the peace and serenity that some of the earlier generations had? They worked hard and slept harder!

Well I am going to try to get a little sleep. I want to go to church tomorrow with my youngest as he is the only one of my 3 kids home tonight. Take care and keep posting us and telling us if u are okay. And if you haven't had those ears checked do it soon. Or even again because maybe they were undetectible until now. It happened with an ear infection one of my kids had one time. Doc didnt see anything on monday and by weds the kid was burning up with fever and had full blown infection. Stranger things......

Closed Thread