It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Question about methadone...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
dxml
(female)

dxml HB User
Question about methadone...

I have been taking 5-10 mg of liquid per day since around November, will I suffer extremely bad when I stop taking it completely? I was sick a few weeks ago, and couldn't hold any down for 2 days, and when the sickness was over, felt fine, just decided to take some for the extra motivation to get up and get going. It's been 30 something hours since i've had any now. I'm really just scared to stop completely. Anyone know what I should expect on this dosage?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Biggzzz
(male)

Biggzzz HB UserBiggzzz HB UserBiggzzz HB UserBiggzzz HB User
Re: Question about methadone...

I am not completely familiar with methadone, I was only detoxed with it once for 5 days... 20 mgs first 2 days then 10 then 5 then sent home.... was fine for 5 days, then relapsed for reasons other than withdrawals.... you WILL have some withdrawals as far as how bad they will be differs from person to person. I suggest tapering off. I would jump off at 20 I would taper 5 mg less every 3-5 days unless you have the will power and strenght to get through it.

I have been detoxing from a bad oxycodone aprox 300-400mg daily got on subs about a week ago, and jumped off the subs 80+ hours ago now. I am experiencing mild withdrawals... masking it with valium a few times a day to help sleep and help with the RLS. (restless leg syndrome) one of the worst parts of withdrawals in my opinnion.

I would search on here as there are TONS of threads about people detoxing from methadone and how they did it. very inspirational. may help you tons.

I wish you the best on your path to sobriety, stay strong you can do this and I promise you it'll be the best thing you ever did for your self.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
dxml
(female)

dxml HB User

Thank you for your response! Yeah, I think the BIGGEST part may be my making it worse in my head... The mental part... I was on the pill form for a few months before hand, because I fell 26ft and compacted and broke my spine and pelvis, and i was prescribed 50mg, and only took 30 a day, it was too much to take it all... I completely stopped that all together, no problem... But I was also taking prozac at the time. And then a few months later, I was hurting so bad I gave in and started taking a lil of the liquid each day... I just know how the liquid w/d can be, and it terrifies me. That's the only reason I keep taking it, is the fear... Maybe that's silly... Congradulations on your choice to detox as well... I hope things don't get any worse for you!

Old 03-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
Biggzzz
(male)

thank you! wow 26 feet, ouch I am sorry! I hope your ok. Can I ask how long you have been taking the 20mgs a day for? straight? that will determine the strenght of withdrawals. I am not judging you or preaching at ALL, but methadone is HORRIBLE I can't stress that enough, I have heard nothing but horror stories about it EVERYWHERE from people and Doctors alike. even the docs at the detox place I went to the first time I tried to quit.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
dxml
(female)

dxml HB User

You're welcome! Thanks, it happened awhile back, the dr's said it should heal fine (whenever it first happened), but I wasn't able to afford a back brace, so it didn't heal properly and gives me problems DAILY! The docs at another facility mentioned a possible need for surgery later on down the line last year, so I'm hoping once I'm able to afford it I can do that and have it fixed! I've been taking it nearly everyday since around November of 2010... Since it's the liquid, I'm not exactly POSITIVE on the exact mg amount but I'd say somewhere between 5-10, and on some days up to 20. Yeah, I know how methadone is the hardest to come off of! That's why I have myself panicking, but I want to just stop it completely!

Old 03-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
Biggzzz
(male)

well if you WANT to then you WILL. Find it in yourself. Just take my advice your better off tapering so the withdrawals arent AS bad. they will be far less severe if you taper down to a low dose for a week or so then lower until your down to just a very very small amount for a few days then jump off. I wish you the best. I am here to help however I can. please keep posting and keep us updated on your progress, no one here is judgemental, either way you go, we are here to support and guide you the best we can.

good luck !

Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
dxml
(female)

dxml HB User

Thx again for your response! When I was 17 I got caught up with the wrong guy and got really bad off on 4mg dilaudids with him, doing (myself) 15-30 of them each day, then again when I was 19, for about 3 or 4 months each time, and the first time quit completely cold turkey and ended up being fine, it was pure hell at first, but after about 2 weeks I was much better. Then again when I was 19, a couple of times was sick for several days, it was AWFUL, but I managed to do it each time, and turned out fine... I have it somewhere in my head that since this is methadone, that it's gonna be that bad or worse! Especially now that I've injured my back. But I haven't had access to it since Sun morning... I took a very small dose at about 8am that morning. So... at this point in time, I don't have too much motivation to get up and do stuff but I think it may be in my head, and my knees are kinda achey, but I haven't had near the stomach issues as with the dilaudids. I think the worst part is the fear of what could be coming... it's definitely the mental part that is nagging at me! I really wish I was able to taper, but i don't have access right now. I really appreciate your best wishes! Thanks so much!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Biggzzz
(male)

Just hang tough and do the taper... it will make it a lot easier. I promise you that. You have to eliminate all people in your life who do these types of drugs or the access/temptation will cause you to fail. STAY STRONG and truck forward.

THIS is what is working most for me. I keep telling myself the pain is not there its in my head and once the first few days of withdrawals pass, it goes away. It's a mental thing. mind of matter.

Closed Thread