It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• First Time Post-Addicted to pain pills

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
    philliesnut
    (male)

philliesnut HB User
    First Time Post-Addicted to pain pills

Hello world,

I am a 29 yr old male with a 10 yr old son and a newlywed wife (1st anniversay (4/24). For years, I recreationally used oxy, perc, vic basically any type of pain pill, but would go months even year or two without taking any. My neighbor is in chronic pain and a party guy who was more than willing to sell off a few of his perc 30's. Well that was in May and ever since I have been addicted to these damn little blue pills...I've snorted them and ate them whatever I felt like at the time. It's not just percs, it vics, oxy hell even tried fentonyl (sp?). I have made some pretty shady friends in this last 11 months and had them stop over with my son sitting there watching TV as we go into the basement for 5 minutes also I am depleting my savings, dropped out of a night class I was taking to get my degree, can't take my family to the jersey shore this year since I spent all the money on pills. I am finished. So sick of wasting money, being constipated, having little to no appetite, etc....I have had a few minor withdrawls when I couldnt' get the pills for a few days, but nothing major... I am scared to be without that crutch, I am just writing this in hopes of some support.. I just can't believe I am an addict, I never thought in a million years,..well you know the story I'm sure... Anyway, today is day 1 without the pills and I was doing great all day, but now that it is close to 5pm and I know I am almost going home, I am starting to get depressed about a night without pills. Just had to tell my story. Thanks for reading...Any comments would be appreciated

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: philliesnut
    mgm55 (04-01-2011),SWEETIE65 (04-23-2011),writeleft (04-02-2011)
    The Following User Says Thank You to philliesnut For This Useful Post:
    mgm55 (04-01-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
    mgm55
    (male)

mgm55 HB User
    Re: First Time Post-Addicted to pain pills

you are so Blessed to realize that it is now time to stop. chances like this come all too infrequently for many people. just think that up to now you have lost really nothing. maybe just some jersy shore money, thats all. you still have your family, youre health, a clean legal record. and most of all you have your mind.

we use drugs simply because they make us feel good. but then the payback begins. the perfect time to beat drugs at their own game. you get out now and you will be a winner for life!

if you decide to wait then just like in deal or no deal , your greediness may cause you to lose it all.

GOD BLESS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
    oxygirl
    Veteran
    (female)

oxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB User

If you are not having any major withdrawls, definitely stop before u get to them. Trust me you will start getting physically dependent as well as psychologically dependent as well. I am a chronic pain patient and didn't think i was addicted till one day my script ran out and I about freaked out. It happens trust me. I have never even smoked cigarettes or anything. never nada.....pure as the driven snow! trust me if it can happen to me it can happen to anybody. I am currently slowly tapering. it is hard cause of arthritis pain on top of it. down to 3 pills a day instead of 4 so that is a 25% reduction. If you don't have any other issues I would definitely put an end to it. It only gets worse.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: oxygirl
    mgm55 (04-01-2011)
    Old 03-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
    janw49
    (female)

janw49 HB User

Hi Philliesnut, I am a mother of a 22 year old son who has gone through the nightmare of OxyContin addiction. He started in his junior year of high school, through a girlfriend, who's mother was selling her own prescriptions. Anyway, my son and all who love him, have been through a total nightmare with his addiction; from stealing, lying, pawning everything he owned of any value and alienated himself from all of his clean and sober friends. Through his addiction he ended up with two felony thefts on his record and is now on probation. When he couldn't get Oxy's, he used morphine, heroin, phentenyol, vicodin, or whatever he could get his hands on. There were several times he should have died, from the amount of morphine he was injecting (100mg) and even injecting into his legs so that we wouldn't know and developing the flesh eating bacteria in both legs. Once, again he was saved and was able to keep both of his legs. My son went through several relapses before he found a treatment center that he has been going to everyday since last September when he was in the hospital with the flesh eating bacteria and withdrawls. I think he finally realized that he needed to turn his life around before he killed himself. Opiod addiction is one of the hardest to overcome but I know if my son can do it, you can too. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck to you...... Through all of this I have become an advocate against precription drug abuse here in the San Diego area. Living this close to the Mexican Border makes drug problems a major issue here. My son informed me that during his addiction, he and his drug friends had gone to Tijuana to buy drugs. The thought makes me cringe to think that he could have been mugged, killed or put into a Mexican prison. All I can say, is that God has looked after my son and must have something big in store for his life. Take care.......

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: janw49
    mgm55 (04-01-2011),writeleft (04-02-2011)
    The Following User Says Thank You to janw49 For This Useful Post:
    mgm55 (04-01-2011)
    Old 04-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
    opiatesgotme
    (female)

opiatesgotme HB User

Hey Philliesnut, I have a similar story. Was taking pain killers for fun maybe 6 times a year at most. Then I burnt my hand. Really serious, painful burn. The dr gave me percs and more percs and more percs. By the time my hand was healed I was hooked. I was taking them more fun fun then for pain. By the time I wanted to get clean I was doing 300mg- 500mg oxy daily and it was basically just getting me to a place where I could function. I wasn't getting that nice feeling anymore. I too still have my family, job, and pretty much my life is in tact. However, when I look at how much money I made past year and we have little to no savings. It kills me. With that said I have been clean for 30 days. I had some painful WD but I was able to get through it. You can get through it too. you seem strong and level headed. Just try to stay focused on other things, stay as busy as possible, not sure if you work out (I hadn't worked out since college until now) but working out makes me feel great. Bottom line is I have been trying to avoid the things that make me want to get high and staying as busy as possible. This board has also helped me alot. Its a great place to ask questions to people who know what you are going through. Good Luck. Keep posting it helps. ~L

Old 04-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
    second go
    Veteran
    (male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

I went through withdrawals twice man. If you havnt gotten that far, nows the time to give it a break. Detoxing really sucks! ha. It really does, trust me. welcome to the board, keep us posted

Old 04-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
    tiedup
    (male)

tiedup HB Usertiedup HB User

hey- im a nut for the phillies too- should be a good year for them--

make it a better year for your family-- but dont think you've lost stuff, because everything you've lost can be replaced... but that will not be true if you continue-- money trouble usually gives you the excuse to sell to support your habit, which gives the cops and dhs the right to mess with your family--

sounds like that would be worse than giving up the pills-- and i bet if you started putting aside what you would spend for pills into an account each week, your shore trip would be possible too...

Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
    newlife4us
    (female)

newlife4us HB User

You sound alot like me So I am no expert, just trying to saty clean day to day & figure it all out. Day 27 off percs, day 17 off Soboxone. I have never been addicted to anything in my life so like you I really cannot believe it! But believing it is part of the beginning to an END. I am an addict to PILLS, any kind. They are easy, clean & quick to take. I dont even feel like taking them is wrong, like coke, etc. But they are my DOC, those lil blue Roxys aka perc 30's. When you say about your son & having people over I relate so much. I too have gone places & seen people that my son never should of seen. I too used to take my kids on trips, outings, etc. but when those pills need to be bought, we all know they come 1ST! Time & time again my 2 younger would beg me to take them to see Mickey Mouse, but no we didnt have enough money..for that we didnt, for pills we did. I would cry & cry from the guilt! But still bought the pills! I think you are getting to the point I was at when I stopped. Heck it is super scary, super hard, etc. wont suger coat it. Even today I am going through bad times physically & mentally but I can look my children in there eyes, I can save up for Disney, I have no shame or guilt. I am healing & so is my family. I can tell you love your son or you would have no guilt <3. Make a choice, make a change, day by day it will get a little easier~so I am told. Post on the board, it helps me alot to post & read.I am pulling for you very much You really are alot stronger than you think you are!

Old 04-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
    janw49
    (female)

janw49 HB User

Hi NewLife4Us,
    I haven't been through the addiction nightmare myself, but I am a mother who's 22 year old son has been through the opiod addiction nightmare. He started on OxyContin in high school, through peer pressure and a girlfriend. He knows now how stupid that was but at the time he didn't realize what type of drug OxyContin was and how addictive that drug is. He also used morphine, herion, phentenoyl, percocet, vicodin, anything he could get his hands on. Whatever he could score from his druggie friends or dealers. I won't go into all of the nightmore issues with what a child puts you through when addicted but you can only imagine. He now has two felony thefts on his record as a result of his addiction. He came VERY close to loosing his legs from the knees down, last September, as a result of using intravenious morphine in the front of his legs. hiding it from us by wearing long pants. He developed the flesh eating bacteria and spent a week in the hospital. It was a miracle that they were able to stop that bacteria and were able to save his legs. He should have died from many overdoses from the amount of drugs he was taking but he didn't and I can only say that the Good Lord has looked after this son of ours for a reason. He has gone through several relapses in the last 5 years but since his scare with his legs, he is now in an aggresive outpatient treatment center where he is getting one on one counseling, group counseling, accupuncture, random drug testing, visits with their physician and NA meetings. They also have him on a light dose methadone which he says has taken away ALL cravings for any drug for the first time in 5 years. He will be taken off of the methadone slowly when they feel he is ready. They are giving him a lot of relapse prevention. He has been clean now since last September and is doing very well. I truly believe that someone who's been addicted to an opiod type drug needs drug treatment. My son was clean for two years when stress last August (his best friend killed himself) made him turn back to drugs once again. But prior to that, he had no drug treatment of any kind. My son is now giving speeches to school faculties, parents of high school students and law enforcement, on his experiences with his addiction and all that goes along with it. This is truly why I believe his life was spared so that he may save other young people from making that wrong decision to use pain pills or worse (herion, morphine).
    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you will be strong and able to conquer the pill addiction. But please look into drug treatment, as I have seen first hand, how much it has helped my son. Take care, Jan

The Following User Says Thank You to janw49 For This Useful Post:
    newlife4us (04-19-2011)
    Old 04-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
    torwadeo
    (male)

torwadeo HB User

Hi - I quit drinking 2 years ago. About 1 year ago I hurt my back and the doctor gave me a prescription for Percocets. Thats all it took and I was off and running.

Please stop now while you still can.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #11
    philliesnut
    (male)

philliesnut HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by opiatesgotme View Post
    Hey Philliesnut, I have a similar story. Was taking pain killers for fun maybe 6 times a year at most. Then I burnt my hand. Really serious, painful burn. The dr gave me percs and more percs and more percs. By the time my hand was healed I was hooked. I was taking them more fun fun then for pain. By the time I wanted to get clean I was doing 300mg- 500mg oxy daily and it was basically just getting me to a place where I could function. I wasn't getting that nice feeling anymore. I too still have my family, job, and pretty much my life is in tact. However, when I look at how much money I made past year and we have little to no savings. It kills me. With that said I have been clean for 30 days. I had some painful WD but I was able to get through it. You can get through it too. you seem strong and level headed. Just try to stay focused on other things, stay as busy as possible, not sure if you work out (I hadn't worked out since college until now) but working out makes me feel great. Bottom line is I have been trying to avoid the things that make me want to get high and staying as busy as possible. This board has also helped me alot. Its a great place to ask questions to people who know what you are going through. Good Luck. Keep posting it helps. ~L
    opiatesgotme

Thanks for your response. you seem to know exactly where I am coming from. Since my first post I was sober for 6 days then I relapsed hard... 6 out of the next 7 days I took perc 30's since my neighbor's prescription came in.. I have since said sober 98% of the time, last week took some vicodin since I had a real bad day at the office..I felt so guilty the next day and I haven't touched them since...It's been now 2 wks since my last pill and life is getting better.... I HATE the fact that I used these things just so my Wednesday, Thursday etc.. nights weren't as boring and mundane as they seem.

I realized boring and mundane is goood. I have an awesome child who is perfect in school and plays little league and doesn't give me any major trouble. A wife who is devoted, and not on the sneak about anything. And we just celebrated our 1st annivesary last week. I am trying to learn that a so called "boring' life is better than the alternitive with all the drama and problems...and instead of trying to make my life more "exciting" I should thank the good Lord that I have the life I have...I have almost no savings anymore, but you know what,, I can build it back up and I haven't lost my house, kids, wife or anything yet... I am on the right track now.. God Bless you and thanks for responding to me...

Oh and I am going to my first N/A meeting next Saturday so wish me luck....

Old 04-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
    philliesnut
    (male)

philliesnut HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by opiatesgotme View Post
    opiatesgotme

Thanks for your response. you seem to know exactly where I am coming from. Since my first post I was sober for 6 days then I relapsed hard... 6 out of the next 7 days I took perc 30's since my neighbor's prescription came in.. I have since said sober 98% of the time, last week took some vicodin since I had a real bad day at the office..I felt so guilty the next day and I haven't touched them since...It's been now 2 wks since my last pill and life is getting better.... I HATE the fact that I used these things just so my Wednesday, Thursday etc.. nights weren't as boring and mundane as they seem.

I realized boring and mundane is goood. I have an awesome child who is perfect in school and plays little league and doesn't give me any major trouble. A wife who is devoted, and not on the sneak about anything. And we just celebrated our 1st annivesary last week. I am trying to learn that a so called "boring' life is better than the alternitive with all the drama and problems...and instead of trying to make my life more "exciting" I should thank the good Lord that I have the life I have...I have almost no savings anymore, but you know what,, I can build it back up and I haven't lost my house, kids, wife or anything yet... I am on the right track now.. God Bless you and thanks for responding to me...

Old 04-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
    philliesnut
    (male)

philliesnut HB User

Closed Thread