It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• suboxone, headaches and sleepiness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
    Knickel
    (female)

Knickel HB User
    suboxone, headaches and sleepiness

Hi Folks,

It has been a month of hell. My beautiful son (age 16) asked for help with an opiate addiction. How did I not know? (ok totally irrelivent) We got him on suboxone. He started on 28 mg and awoke 8 hours later with killer headache and vomitting. Thinking he was having w/drawal the doctor upped his dose until he was taking 32 mg ever 8 hours.

The headaches and vomitting stopped but he started sleeping alot. We backed him off very quickly to 24 mg every 8 hours. He seemed stable but a few days ago started getting killer migraines that only sleep will cure. He slept 18 hours today.

We think he's still on too much suboxone but the doctor is conserned that if we lower the dose too quickly we won't be able to distinguish suboxone symptoms from opiate w/drawal. The doctor says he has never experienced these side effects in a patient.

Has anyone had experience with this? I'm terrified, he is just a 125 lb kid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
    HelpGSX
    (male)

HelpGSX HB User
    Re: suboxone, headaches and sleepiness

Sorry for such a late response, hopefully everything has gone smoothly since you posted this, but just to let you know, you really need a doctor who has more experience than the doctor you have. To be honest, I truly don't believe any doctor in their right mind should EVER prescribe anything even remotely CLOSE to 24-32mg of Suboxone a DAY. Again, hopefully you've realized this by now.

Suboxone is extremely powerful and is extremely addictive itself. Tapering down from 32mg a day, to me, seems like a journey that could last forever.

It really depends on how much opiates your son was taking. In my experience, people I know who were taking upwards of 200-300mg of Oxycodone per day, were able to feel better with only 2mg of Suboxone per day.

As you can see, you only need about 1/100th the amount of suboxone than previous opiates to curb withdrawal symptoms. Obviously everyone is different and will react differently to it, but anytime I see someone say that they are taking some insane amount of Sub, I get nervous for them.

If your son is still taking that much, or even half that much, in my opinion and experience, you need to cut his doses down. It's probably too late at this point and he probably has developed an addiction to the Suboxone.

I personally would find a doctor with more experience for a second, maybe even a third or fourth opinion, then go back and kick the original doc in the junk for having put you and your son into another mess instead of taking you out of one.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
    zoiegrace
    Inactive
    (female)

zoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB User
    Re: suboxone, headaches and sleepiness

hi there, ditto from me, way to much, my sub doc started me out at 32mg and I am paying the price, tapering down to 10-12 mg.
    All that suboxone will give wicked headaches, nausea and vomiting, your MD is an arse, decrese his dose NOW, he won't sleep so much and you need to find an MD to work with you, mine is in it for the cash, sorry to say alot of MD don't know what they are doing with the massive doses of subs.
    Best of luck and keep posting.
    Gracie

Closed Thread