It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Tapering off Clonazepam

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
    shopgirl37
    (female)

shopgirl37 HB User
    Tapering off Clonazepam

I been on clonazepam 1mg at night for over year. I would like to stop taking it . I know I need to taper off slowly. Has anybody successfully stop taking it. Do you know what kind of schedule I should I used to taper off. Any suggestions would be helpful

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
    Re: Tapering off Clonazepam

Hello shopgirl37

Welcome to the board. :-)

Clonazepam is a drug in the class of benzos and you are correct that it should be a very slow taper. I came off Xanax and did it by a very slow taper. A good rule of thumb is to cut only 5-10% of one dose at a time. That often involves crushing the tablet and eyeballing the amount to be taken. I always saved the crushed particles to use when I need to make a cut again.

I started my taper when I was taking xanax three times a day, morning, afternoon @ 2PM and bedtime. I first cut the morning dose by ten percent and then gave my body and brain.time to adjust and level off.. usually 10 days-2 weeks. When I felt ready, I cut 10% from the afternoon dose and again waited until I leveled off.

As I tapered, I also slowly began to stratch the time of my doses. I started that process by stretching the morning dose by 15 minutes or so every few days. Eventually, the morning and afternoon dose merged. Once they were fully merged, I started backing up the bedtime dose to help my body not depend on it for sleep. At this time, per my doctors, I started using the supplement Melatonin 3mg at bedtime to help my brain ready for sleep.

I think the most important thing is to remember that a benzo taper should be measured in progress, not time. as long as you keep progressing, do not worry if some cuts require more time to level off than others.

I am sure you have other questions. Ask away! We are all here to help you.

Hugs
    reach

Old 10-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
    shopgirl37
    (female)

shopgirl37 HB User
    Question Re: Tapering off Clonazepam

So how do I taper off 1mg clonazepam ? I only take at night.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hey shopgirl37

I guess if it were me, I would start by breaking that tablet into half and then one of those halves into quarters. I would then crush one of the quarters and removea bit less than a half of them. That would be near a 10% cut.

It's going to involve some math calculations on your part. Use a calculator and make yourself a chart. That should help.

I would also start moving away slowly from taking it at bedtime to help your brain stop depending on it for sleep.

Good luck
    reach

Old 10-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
    gbnlb
    (female)

gbnlb HB User

Hi,
    I have taken Clonazepam on and off over the years for anxiety, which worked much better than Xanax ever did. Anyway, I agree with the other posts. I would just break it in half for three nights (.5mg) then go to another half (.25) for three nights, then try stopping or just go at your own pace. I really never had any withdrawals when I stopped taking it, but we are all different and where you are taking it for insomnia you may have a problem getting back on a regular sleeping pattern. Have you ever tried any of the sleeping medications like Ambien or Lunesta? Melatonin is a natural supplement that you can buy over the counter that people say works really well for them. I wish you the best of luck and keep us informed!

Closed Thread