It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Quitting codeine today

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
    ZeroSum
    (male)

ZeroSum HB User
    Quitting codeine today

Quitting codeine today
    Hi all, I've got a similar story to half the people here I expect. I was prescribed some high dosage codeine tablets for pain relief about three and a half years ago, I was only supposed to have them for two weeks, but after that I started getting my own supply because I enjoyed the high. Fast forward 3.5 years and I have only gone two days without in all that time. Both of which were horrible. I'm taking up to 600mg a day, I don't know how serious this is 'compared to other people' but I do know I need to get off them. They've caused problems at home, financial difficulties, and I've had enough. I've spent too long telling myself 'I'll quit tomorrow / next week / I need some for that meeting at work / I need some to get through this day or that day'. I want to be able to wake up and not have my first thought be 'have I got some codeine' and then panicking if I haven't. When I can't get hold of any strong tablets I buy weaker ones from the pharmacy and take more. I have about 10 stores in a 15 mile radius that I alternate between. I'm sick of this drug ruling my life. I am quitting cold turkey today. I've tried twice before, as I mentioned above, and had no luck. This time I am determined though. I took my last dose yesterday about this time so I'm 24 hours in now. So far so good, got real aches in my legs and a banging headache. Got an upset stomach, but no chills or sweats. Hopefully I wasn't taking enough to get some of the symptoms I've read about. We'll see. I'm just posting here because I wanted to be able to speak to people who've had similar experiences.

Well, that's it I guess. Fingers crossed. Thanks for reading.

The following user gives a hug of support to ZeroSum:
    JustPortia (11-05-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
    Re: Quitting codeine today

Hello Zero

Welcome to the board on such a monumentous day for you. :-)

I think a good thing to read would be the second thread on this board titled,"Sample Home Detox." There is good info there on some things to use to help you through this withdrawal period. Although I did not go cold turkey from opiates, even in my tapering the info helped me a lot.

I would say 600 mg a day is a pretty high dosage and honestly, I believe it may be a rough ride for a bit for you. Expect a great deal of diarreha. Stock up on Immodium... not only will it help with the bowel issues, it also contains an ingredient that has a bit of an opiate effect in it. Sneezes will come as your respiratory system begins to wake up after being depressed for a long time with the opiate. Anxiety is a biggie for most. Practice slow breathing techniques and keep in mind that anxiety will not kill us. be as physical as possible to help the process of withdrawing along more quickly.

Zero, do you have a support plan in place? Withdrawing is a part of reaching sobriety and beginning the process of restoring ourselves. We must additionally have some kind of live support in place also. Some use AA, some NA and some, like myself, individual counseling. As hard as withdrawal is, it is super easy to relapse without following through on some serious support measures.

I am wishing you well in this task and rooting for you big time. Stay in touch and let us know how it is going.

With all hope
    reach

Old 11-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
    zoiegrace
    Inactive
    (female)

zoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB User

Hello Zero, I agree with everything reach had to say. You need to titrate down if you were taking 600mg a day. Be very careful as you could end up in the hospital or worse. I see you live in the UK, so the dose of codeine you get from the pharmacy has to be low, right. I feel for you, it's going to be HELL and it also worries me. I'm a addict like everyone else and have abused and used and stopped and started more times than I care to admit. On suboxone now.
    Just be careful and keep us posted and go to the ER if you have too.
    Godspeed
    grace

Last edited by zoiegrace; 11-06-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:15 AM   #4
    ZeroSum
    (male)

ZeroSum HB User

Thankyou for the replies. I was doing ok, but I think I seem to have got sick at the same time as stopping. All the symptoms of flu/cold. So achy, banging head, so tired, not sleeping, stomach hurting. I had to come home early from work yesterday and today. And now, I feel like such a stupid stupid idiot - I managed to get hold of 120mg codeine and took it. I even managed to convince myself I was taking it for a legitimate reason but I can see I was just making excuses to myself. What a fail. I don't want to start again, I don't want to use this as a reason to say what the hell, might as well carry on. I still want to quit. I'm so angry with myself.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
    zoiegrace
    Inactive
    (female)

Zero sum, sounds like you were starting WD's, did the codeine make you feel better, did the sick symptoms go away? I too at one time was sick first, then started WDs. Didn't know which end was up. Was in bed 10 days and saw a MD which confirmed my illness, 5 days into it started WD. On subs now.
    Can you titrate your codeine down, or will you take all you can get.
    I've had several relapses. At least you are being honest and know what you need to do. Don't give up, your worth it.
    Keep posting. It really has helped me. Take care.
    Peace
    Zoie

Old 11-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Zero

You wrote:
    All the symptoms of flu/cold. So achy, banging head, so tired, not sleeping, stomach hurting

My friend, this is the classic description of withdrawal!! When someone asks for a description of what withdrawal will be like, the answer inevitably is "think about the worst case of the flu you have ever had."

Honestly, if you have been on 600mg of codeine a day, you are either going to have a pretty severe withdrawal going cold turkey, or you are going to need to taper down before trying to stop, or go to an inpatient detox center where you can be medically supervised and come off quickly.

It is vital to reach the point where we recognize that we need to get off the merry-go-round, but an impulsive decision without a well thought out plan, that includes live support and aftercare, is not, realistically, apt to succeed. It is a really high amount to come off of and my suggestion would be to truly consider an inpatient detox. If that is not possible, then I would plan for at least 10 days off from work in conjunction with an outpatient program. Myself, I took months to slowly taper from 60 mgs of Oxycodone a day and all along worked with professionals and had great live support in my family and friends.

Perhaps making a pro and Con list of various methods of getting off the codeine will help you decide the way that would work best for you. Don't make a hasty decision without first putting all the pices in place.

Stay with us. We will support whatever way you choose for yourself.

With all hope
    reach

Old 11-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
    zoiegrace
    Inactive
    (female)

Zero, just checking in with you to see how you are??
    Reach always has great things to say and able to say it like no one else.
    I agree with everything she said so well, positive and TRUE.
    You need help and it's ok to ask for it./
    Thinking of you,
    Take care.
    Love and Peace,
    Zoie

Old 11-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
    ZeroSum
    (male)

ZeroSum HB User

Hey guys, still around. Back on Codiene although I have cut from 500-600mg a day right down to maybe 120mg max. Using it only to 'feel normal' and not chasing a high any more. I'm hoping to taper down from this soon.

Thanks for the messages of support and advice. I have taken it all in.

Last edited by ZeroSum; 11-29-2011 at 06:53 AM.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
    zoiegrace
    Inactive
    (female)

Zerosum, congrats on your progress. Your tapering down well without going thru horrid WD's. I believe that's the best way, instead of CT which may have put you in the hospital. YOU ARE DOING IT!!, chasing the dragon is no fun. Plus your doing it without suboxone, which is an evil drug from the devil.
    My opinion only. Subs have helped many people, but I just traded addictions, without the pain relief. So be proud of yourself and take care,
    Peace and Love,
    Gracie

The Following User Says Thank You to zoiegrace For This Useful Post:
    ZeroSum (12-01-2011)
    Old 12-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
    zoiegrace
    Inactive
    (female)

ZeroSum, just thinking about you and wondering how you are doing??
    Are you able to continue to cut down the codiene?? Slowly, to let you body adjust to the new dose. it will always be screaming for more and you've come so far you don't want to go back to 600mg.
    Take care and sending warm thoughts.
    Gracie

Closed Thread