It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Never have caffeine again?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
    luckx1005
    (male)

luckx1005 HB User
    Never have caffeine again?

Hi everyone,

Iím basically a caffeine junkie and I would like to never have caffeine again. Iím not sure if itís because I take two antidepressants and thereís an interaction, but I think that any amount of caffeine (even one diet coke) negatively affects me. It gives me a short-term buzz that I find addictive but long-term use leads me to feel more fatigue and anxiety and to be less productive at work. Part of me feels like a freak because all other adults can have some caffeine without problems and I feel like I should be able to have a cup of coffee a day just as a normal American adult would. I have had days when I donít have caffeine and do tend to be more productive on those days but sometimes I find myself craving the extra stimulation caffeine gives me, and Iíll have a cup of coffee or two or four and then feel too wound up to work. Then later in the day Iíll be wiped out. Iím 32 and I often have the goal of never having even one mg of caffeine again in my life. Then I go a day or two without having any caffeine and function pretty well. Then the next day I tell myself, ďYou canít possibly go the next 50 years without having any caffeine. Your Ďno-caffeineí goal is crazy.Ē And thatís enough for me to abandon the goal and have a cup or two or more. Iíve looked many times for caffeine addiction forums but Iíve found none. It seems like Iím the only person in the world who canít have any caffeine without there being negative side effects and I feel like a weirdo.

By any outsiderís perspective, Iím doing reasonably well in life. I have a full-time job that I do reasonably well. And I know my addiction is not anywhere as serious or impairing as addiction to many other substances is. But I feel like Iím only being about 75% as productive as I could be and living with only partial fulfillment. I guess I just wanted to describe my situation to an audience that hopefully would be supportive and to hear othersí thoughts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
    mikeladdder
    (male)

mikeladdder HB User
    Re: Never have caffeine again?

I love cola.. I don't messure but I bet I drink a 2 litter a day and have every since I can rememebr (26 now) So I don't notice any changes in my body.. I do however know when my body does not have it..

I will get a throbbing tension head ach.. Excedrine is awesome.. acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine... Makes the pain go away within 20 mins.. (just saying incase this can help you wein off soda?) I do wonder if it affects my health and gives me anxiety etc aswell..

I Know exactly how you feel about everything you say about anxiety and about having just one cup etc.. You must know that you will never touch it again.. NEVER.

I have experience quitting smoking (15 year smoker) and everything else that I did recreational.. beer/weed..

You just must tell yourself NEVER again and its been one year for me on quiting smoking and I'm getting the full affect now.. I don't know when I reached that point.. proabably a couple months till your safe to say I'm never again having caffine.. Not sure.

I do drink alot of soda.. and I'm over weight now.. gained 50 pounds since smoking..!! I clicked here because I thought maybe you had some info on quiting this habbit.. Good LUCK! and thanks for you info.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
    davee76
    (male)

davee76 HB User

People really underestimate how addictive caffeine can be. Good luck getting off it.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:03 AM   #4
    luckx1005
    (male)

luckx1005 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try to get off the antidepressants too. I don't think they do anything for me. I've been on them for about 15 years. I know I have to stop them very gradually.

Last edited by luckx1005; 11-23-2011 at 05:05 AM.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

I was a diet coke fiend. I started drinking it in college to stay awake at night to study. Then was addicted. Many years later, I started to get those horrendous headaches and 2 incidents made me decide to give it up. We had recently moved and my husband and I were doing yardwork when I got one of those headaches. I grabbed the diet coke, but not quick enough and ended up puking off our back porch. I was too dirty from the yardwork to go inside LOL. Then right after that I had surgery and it got delayed and when I woke up screw the pain from surgery, I had a headache from hell. From that moment on I decided to taper down and I have not had caffeine since 2002.

Good luck!

Old 11-24-2011, 03:10 AM   #6
    luckx1005
    (male)

luckx1005 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boxerluver View Post
    I was a diet coke fiend. I started drinking it in college to stay awake at night to study. Then was addicted. Many years later, I started to get those horrendous headaches and 2 incidents made me decide to give it up. We had recently moved and my husband and I were doing yardwork when I got one of those headaches. I grabbed the diet coke, but not quick enough and ended up puking off our back porch. I was too dirty from the yardwork to go inside LOL. Then right after that I had surgery and it got delayed and when I woke up screw the pain from surgery, I had a headache from hell. From that moment on I decided to taper down and I have not had caffeine since 2002.

Good luck!
    Have you really never had caffeine since 2002? No sodas, no coffee, etc.? If so, that's really impressive!
    I hit a bit of a low earlier in the week. I had a coffee and a 5 hour energy drink and then I started feeling lightheaded and out of it and cancelled meetings at work. (I gave a different excuse.) This was the first time I ever had to cancel something from stimulant use and was a wake up call. I didn't have any coffee yesterday felt extremely tired all day but I actually feel really good right now.
    I guess the hard part is convincing myself that I can't have caffeine again - not even on an occasional basis and I just need to permanently quit. I love the high it gives me if I just have it in moderation occasionally - like once or twice a week. And I always tell myself I'm just going to occasionally have it but then I become addicted and start having more and more.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Yes, see I never noticed either a high or a buzz or like when you have too much, that never happened to me. I'd drink a 2 liter bottle while studying in college and then go to sleep for 2 hours before class. So that was why it was not difficult to get off. And nope, no coffee, no soda, just what caffeine I would get from chocolate, but I don't over do there either.

I'm sorry it's difficult, my husband has to have it or he gets headaches, but not so much a drop in energy. With everybodys body chemisty different, yours must be sensitive to caffeine. I wish I could give you an easy option, but tapering worked great for me.

You can do it!

The Following User Says Thank You to Boxerluver For This Useful Post:
    luckx1005 (11-25-2011)
    Old 11-25-2011, 02:55 AM   #8
    luckx1005
    (male)

luckx1005 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boxerluver View Post
    Yes, see I never noticed either a high or a buzz or like when you have too much, that never happened to me. I'd drink a 2 liter bottle while studying in college and then go to sleep for 2 hours before class. So that was why it was not difficult to get off. And nope, no coffee, no soda, just what caffeine I would get from chocolate, but I don't over do there either.

I'm sorry it's difficult, my husband has to have it or he gets headaches, but not so much a drop in energy. With everybodys body chemisty different, yours must be sensitive to caffeine. I wish I could give you an easy option, but tapering worked great for me.

You can do it!
    Thanks! I appreciate your support!

Old 11-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I had to taper off it because of the headaches and nausea from going cold turkey. It took me months to totally get off it. That was 25 years ago and I guess I've had maybe 3 cafeinated drinks - all by accident -in that time. And boy could I tell it! Whew...was glad when that wore off.

Best of luck....

Old 12-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
    luckx1005
    (male)

luckx1005 HB User

I had some testing done. It turns out I have "reactive hypoglycemia." Consuming a lot of sugar or caffeine makes my blood sugar level plummet. I've done some reading on the condition and I see many other people with this condition have really bad reactions to caffeine too. It's nice to finally know what's going on although it kind of stinks that I can't have coffee because I do like how it tastes and I like the brief buzz I get before my blood sugar levels plummet (which is about 2-3 hours after consumption). Oh well. I'm going to try not to have any caffeine any more. I'm supposed to avoid sweets too.

Closed Thread