It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Cold turkey off Norco, need help please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
    beachdude
    (male)

beachdude HB User
    Cold turkey off Norco, need help please!

So ive been using norco for 5 months straight, been using up to 10 pills a day. It started with a injury and then i just kept taking them more and more becuase my tolerance got up. Now i realized thats its time to stop. So i went to my doctor and had them give me a wean plan and i couldnt stick to it, it was too darn tempting having all those pills and whenever i felt bad i would just take one. So knowing how i am i know that i need to go cold turkey. So i went cold turkey 2 days ago. Havent had a pill since saturday at 11pm. Its now monday at 11pm and i feel miserable, weak, restless legs, sneezing running nose, typical symptoms that you get going through a withdrawal. I hate being not able to sleep but being tired. Anyone know how much longer this will last? I didnt wean down i just went cold turkey. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
    txarmywife
    (female)

txarmywife HB Usertxarmywife HB User
    Re: Cold turkey off Norco, need help please!

I want to applaud you because I know all too well how difficult it is to stop taking Hydrocodone (whether its Vicodin, Norco, or Lortabs). My experience when I would stop taking them cold turkey was I would feel really lousy the first 2 days. And by day 4 I was beginning to feel better and in a week I was completely (at least physically) back to normal. Whatever normal is. What helped me with the restlessness was taking a Tylenol PM or Benedryl prior to bed. I also made sure to eat a lot of bananas or take a potassium supplement to help with the restless legs. The withdrawal symptom I have the toughest time with is the diarrhea. It is dibiliating for me. And never found anything to help it other than taking more Hydrocodone. If you can get through the first four days I believe you will find it gets much easier. Those first few days are terrible and I often had to prevent myself from calling the doctor to call in more meds for me. Sometimes I was able to fight it and I was usually glad when I did because I felt better in just a few days. Getting back on them, for me, was just prolonging the envitable...eventually I would have to get off of them. So try to hang in there. If you need additional help perhaps go to a NA or AA meeting. Post on the boards or consult your doctor.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
    beachdude
    (male)

beachdude HB User

Thanks for writiing me back txarmywife. I am on day 3 today, havent taken one since saturday at 11pm. I slept the worst last night, i could not get comfortable, the restless legs were at full force. Well today i feel not so horrible, but i still feel the withdrawals. I have friends coming in town for thanksgiving weekend and i just want to feel normal by then. I am hoping i will since that will be about 5-6 days clean. Yeah i also took a benydryl, didnt really help! It was at full force like i said and nothing was stopping it, i took a hot bath before and had bananas, with sleepy time tea. So i expect to start feeling normal around day 4, like you said. That sounds about right. Im going to try and get some exersize in today like a little hike.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
    Grace817
    (female)

Grace817 HB User

Hi Beachdude, I applaud your efforts. I quit vicodin about a week and a half ago and feel pretty normal. I, like you was prescribed it for a legitimate reason and somewhere between taking it for pain I began taking it for pleasure. You will feel better soon, you're doing the right thing!

Closed Thread