It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Easing Heroin Withdrawel!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2000, 02:02 AM   #1
    skoked
    (male)

skoked HB User
    Question Easing Heroin Withdrawel!!

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone can suggest some over the counter drugs or Herbs or ANYTHING to ease and help with Heroin Withdrawel. ALL replies are greatly appreciated.

Skoked

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2000, 07:38 PM   #2
    TrickyDick

TrickyDick HB User
    There are no "over the counter" remedys.
    The best thing you can do is go to the
    nearest Methodone clinic or drug rehab
    clinic and request help.
    If you are afraid that it will become
    public, don't worry about it. All services,
    private,state and federal are very protective
    of their patients and will not give out
    info about you or your treatment.
    Of course, for any treatment to work you
    must be ready to give your life over to
    the lifelong fight to never use again.
    Without that conviction and commitment
    any treatment is just a waste of time.
    Good luck, your going to need it...but
    GUTS is needed more.

Old 12-03-2000, 08:49 PM   #3
    skoked
    (male)

skoked HB User
    Unhappy

The worst part is, me and my g/f HAVE been to the local drug rehab clinic, called EVERY number in our phone book and no one can help us for at least a week.

We even went to the emergency room and they told us there was nothing they can do exept refer us to Community Intervention Center who wont even evaluate us for at least a week.

That is why I asked, it is kind of an emergency. The crises worker at the hospital told us that that is the downside, everyone thinks help is readily available, but isn't..

Thanks,
    Skoked

Old 12-03-2000, 08:52 PM   #4
    skoked
    (male)

skoked HB User
    PS- Is it SAFE? To go "Cold Turkey" off heroin and modest amounts (Maybe 20-80mg dailey) of oxycontin's??

Thanks...
    Skoked

Old 01-10-2001, 07:13 AM   #5
    jazzcat

jazzcat HB User
    It is totally safe to go cold turkey man, I used to shoot 30mg of diluadid a day, did cold turkey everytime I quit, You can handle it , it is not as bad as in the movies but it does give you something to think about if you want to start using again I haven't touched opiates in a year and a half and won't do them anymore! good luck, make it happen... use the force Luke!

Old 01-10-2001, 02:30 PM   #6
    Christine

Christine HB User
    Angry

You know, Jazzperson, that is the worst advice I have ever heard - "hey man, go for it, it went OK for me" - what planet are you from? People DIE from going cold turkey, but I guess, because YOU didn't, that's just more bull**** advice from a bunch of clueless 12-steppers who simply spew meaningless cult-like propoganda right? By the way, it seems that most cults are pretty self-serving, I see AA as nothing but self-giving. Watch the "advice" you give, man, - you could kill someone.

Old 01-10-2001, 06:18 PM   #7
    Victoria

Question

About Heroin Withdrawl:

I've not had this problem, but I was wondering about something I've seen on tv - I don't know the medical name for it, but basically it's a rapid withdrawl procedure, in which they let you sleep through the first 24 hours (maybe even 48 hours), so you don't feel the normal withdrawl symptoms.

Is this experimental, maybe? It seems like such a good thing to do in theory, but, like I said, I've only seen in on television.

I WOULD NOT try to go cold turkey. These people are right - cold turkey could kill you.

Good luck in whichever method of quitting you choose - when you choose it.

Old 01-11-2001, 12:58 AM   #8
    Casper

Casper HB User
    I'm assuming that this is urgent because you've run out of dope, money and options (addiction sucks the big one, eh?). If I'm wrong, I apologize.

I don't believe that heroin withdrawal is life-threatening (but, to be sure, call one of the detox centers and ask someone there - or check with a doctor or nurse in your area or at the local emergency room - someone should be able to provide you with at least that information). You will suffer from insomnia, body aches and pains and diarrea (like a heavy-duty flu). I think that it also causes low blood pressure (don't stand up too fast or you'll pass out). If you do get too sick, go to the local emergency room and they'll treat you.

I don't think there is any comfortable way to detox from heroin unless you can pay a doctor to put you under for 10 days (totally beyond expensive). I've seen people try to ease the withdrawal by using other meds, but they always end up using again.

Get on the wait lists at the drug rehab clinic and the community intervention center and, hopefully, you'll still be willing to go in when they call you.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you're doing. You're in my thoughts.

Be well.

Old 01-11-2001, 10:22 PM   #9
    Marlayna

Marlayna HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by skoked:
    Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone can suggest some over the counter drugs or Herbs or ANYTHING to ease and help with Heroin Withdrawel. ALL replies are greatly appreciated.

Skoked
    d

Old 01-11-2001, 10:28 PM   #10
    Marlayna

Marlayna HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by skoked:
    Hello All,

Skoked
    Dear Skoked,
    I stumbled across your problems w/withdrawal looking for ways to get through mine. I am addicted to pain pills. There is a dr. in NJ that is an addiction and recovery dr that will prescribe 3 injections and medicine to help you sleep that eases the pains of withdrawal a lot. I went to him and I did NOT FEEL SICK I worked the 3 days of injections and the week after and I was ok. Tired but not sick. Although I quit and started using again I know people who have gone to him for heroin and pills and have stopped for several months. His name is Dr. Gooberman in South Jersey. I am not sure of the town but I can find out. Good luck I know what you are going through!

Old 01-11-2001, 10:37 PM   #11
    Marlayna

Marlayna HB User
    I stumbled across your question about withdrawal looking for ways to ease my own. I am addicted to percocets and oxy's and know what withdrawal can be like. There is a doctor in NJ Dr. Gooberman who helps with withdrawal and addiction. He prescribes injections you take once a day for 3 days and medicine to ease the body aches and sleeplessness. I tried it and it really helped I worked the whole time I was going through withdrawal and was tired but NOT SICK!! I quit and started using again but I know a couple people who went to him for heroin and pills that have been clean for several months. He is in south jersey I'm not sure of the town but I can find out. Good luck I know what your going through.

Old 01-12-2001, 09:32 AM   #12
    Princess

Princess HB User
    Unhappy

Actually, it is safe to go cold-turkey off heroin. The only drugs that are truly life-threatening in the sense of going cold-turkey are alcohol and benzodiazepenes. (Valium, Xanax, etc.) My ex- boyfriend has gone cold-turkey twice off heroin and is now about to go through it again as he is in jail. He has also had to kick a valium habit twice and did that in a de-tox center. He was sick as hell, but he got through it fine and it lasted about a week. He stayed at home in bed and just avoided contact with the outside world. Good luck kicking the habit. For what it's worth, heroin ruined my relationship with this man who I thought I would marry and it's ruined his life. I commend you for trying to get off of it whatever the reasons.

Old 07-22-2004, 10:37 AM   #13
    moseymo

moseymo HB User
    Smile Re: Easing Heroin Withdrawel!!

i am a mother of two herion addicts....both in recovery houses, working, going to meetings. my older son 26 has battled and loved is addiction for about ten yrs...my younger son 23 since he's 18 or so. i've been suspect of my younger son using again and my intuition was right again. so this weekend he's coming to my home to withdraw for three days. i'd like to know what if anything he can eat or drink to ease the sick feeling and restlessness. he wants to detox but can't risk losing the roof over his head nor his job to keep the roof. so he is willing to rough it at my house for three days. he has to go back to his house and carry on with his life once again. don't know how he got pulled back....he just didn't reach out to anyone and recovery is all around him including myself. my older son once described heroin like satan...he said it must be satan because how could something that is so so bad for you make you feel so good!
    personally i can't imagine why someone would go back to herion after so long clean only to have to suffer with the withdrawl again. i only know my experiences withdrawling from alcohol was not very pleasant and know that it is similar to heroin but not as severe.
    so...and thoughts/suggestions as to easing the withdrawl from heroin will be welcomed!

Last edited by moseymo; 07-22-2004 at 10:55 AM. Reason: add icon

Old 07-22-2004, 06:56 PM   #14
    formygirls3

formygirls3 HB User
    Re: Easing Heroin Withdrawel!!

Moseymo
    I hope you get this message in time and please post it in the front lobby so you can get more help. I don't know of any thing otc that will help except for some Advil for the aches and Imodium (sp?)for the diarrhea. I also used some antihistamines and it seemed to help with the watery eyes and nose. Maybe some Epsom salts for a hot bath and allot of support. If you could get him to a dr. to get some clonidine, it would ease his withdraw significantly. He sure is lucky to have someone there to help him.

God Bless You.
    Teresa

Old 07-23-2004, 05:38 AM   #15
    goddessgrl65
    Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User
    Re: Easing Heroin Withdrawel!!

Hi stoked-
    Hope you get these messages-im sorry that someone was harsh w/ you-you don't need that now..
    Sounds like you are out of cash/drugs/etc..and you Got to kick..if im wrong sorry..its not a put down..ive been there.
    It is generally safe to kick cold turkey-but i would check out your local hospitals-there are many free detox facilitys-and you can be medically supervised and get meds to help w/ coming off.
    Ive kicked c/t many times-and i don't wish that pain/suffering on anyone-there are some OTC meds that are helpful-immodium/benadryl/advil/motrin-but for the first couple days-its a hellride-im sure you know this-being sick is part of life of a junky,and keeps the cycle going..
    If you are not w/d already-cos i haven't seen you reply-drink as much fluid as you can get down-broth/soup/i know it seems impossible.
    Hope you find a detox-
    GGrl65

Closed Thread