It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Hydrocodone - questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2001, 02:58 PM   #1
    bearbob

bearbob HB User
    Question Hydrocodone - questions

I have been lurking this board for some time now looking for some help, and I want you all to know what a great relief it is to find you. Please forgive me for my basic questions, but I am new to this, and I am wondering if my wife needs help. I finally got up enough courage to post, so here goes....

My wife has been taking Hydrocodone every day now for over a year, and I am starting to get worried. She refuses to talk about it, and gets defensive when I try to bring it up. After arguing, she usually tries to hide it when she takes her pills. This makes me feel worse, and I usually drop the subject. I am not sure of the dosage of the pills, but she started out after a back injury by taking 1/2 each time, twice a day. Now she is taking (from what I can tell) 3-4 whole tablets each day.

From what I remember, the bottle is just marked "Hydrocodone," and makes no mention of acetominaphen. I am wondering if I am worried about nothing, because the things I have found on the internet always seem to mention that hydrocodone can be taken with acetominaphen to increase the effect and produce a high. I am wondering if hydrocodone contains acetominaphen, or if it has to be taken in addition to it to get the high? I have not found any acetominaphen around the house, so, as I said, I may be worrying about nothing. Over the past year I have found that she can be a very good liar, though, so I am not really sure. Any help would be appreciated!

Also, I am not sure exactly what this drug can do. If it is a painkiller and you have no pain anymore (it has been a year since her injury), why would you keep taking it? Wouldn't you just feel like you had no pain (normal), or is there some sort of euphoria? What does it feel like? How good could it possibly be to make a terrific person begin to sneak around and lie to her family?

Please forgive my questions - I am trying to find out as much as I can so that I might be able to help her before it is too late. My daughter (age 3) and I thank you very much for all your help. I am looking forward to reading your postings.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2001, 05:00 PM   #2
    Claudius

Claudius HB User
    From what I have read, hydro itself is an opioid (any synthetic narcotic not derived from opium) and so has the potential for addiction. The acetaminophen is non-opiate analgesic that also reduces fever. So the important ingredient in this cauldron is the hydro. If she has taken it for a year, daily, with increasing doses, well, I would say there is a damn good chance she is hooked. It would suprise me if she wasn't. What I mean by hooked in this case, is a physical dependence on the drug, usually marked with increasing tolerance.

Thanks.

Old 03-02-2001, 04:22 PM   #3
    Joseph77

Joseph77 HB User
    Unhappy

Answers to your questions are:

Hydrocodone does have acetom. I don't beleive the acetom. increases her high,it's the hydrocodone that does it, since it's a narcotic. If she's been taking it for a year and has been increasing her doses, i'm almost sure that she is dependent. I don't like to say addicted because you really aren't.
    Hydrocodone produces euphoria, can usually last 1 to 4 hours depending on the person and the ammount taken. Usually your not suppose to take more the 1-2 every 4 hours. On the bottle, there will be numbers by the hydrocodne. Such as 5/500, 7.5/600, 10/900. The first number is the ammount of hydrocodone in the pill in mg's i think. The higher the more hydrocodone. The last number is the ammount of acetomitphon in the pill.
    All in all you do get HIGH off of it, just like any other drug. I'm reading where you said that she lies about it. That actually can be signs of REAL ADDICTION, even though in a study of i think 1000 people with chronic pain only .03 were REALLY addicted to it. If she has no more pain, and she is just taking it to take it and get high, i'd consider getting help.
    Good Luck, hope this helped.

Joe

Old 03-06-2001, 12:35 PM   #4
    kristi

kristi HB User
    i would say that your wife is addicted to it...you would be amazed how many people are and after a while they will increase the dose themselves b-c they no longer feel anything i have an uncle who is addicted and he took 36 to 40 in 6 hours and is still alive i just dont understand why people want to be tired and sleepy all the time...and they can lie to get their pills i have watched my uncle take everything my grandparents have and it really upsets me..let me know how things go...kristi

Old 03-06-2001, 12:37 PM   #5
    kristi

kristi HB User
    also joseph is correct about the dose of hyrocodone and acem...what milligram does she take??? there is about 4 different ones...

Old 03-08-2001, 04:08 PM   #6
    Joseph77

Joseph77 HB User
    Kristi... WOW 36-40 in 6 HOURS!!!!??! I'm surprised he has not gone into liver FAILURE! Bearbob, another thing that is also very dangerous is that constant ingestion of acetom. can cause liver damage. It's very dangerous of whats she's doing. Although I can only imagine how painful it is to see your wife doing that, she needs help.

All the best to you and don't be afraid to post anything up here, we're all here to help!

Old 03-09-2001, 06:05 AM   #7
    kristi

kristi HB User
    joseph i know that he can have liver failure and the sad thing he knows too....we watched my aunt die in no time and at first they told us that it was to much tylenol and she had taken one for a headache that night so they said that is why it showed up so high they guess but he doesn't care he wants his pain meds....i don't know how to help him....kristi

Old 03-12-2001, 12:36 AM   #8
    Joseph77

Joseph77 HB User
    Exclamation

Kristi, I can only imagine how helpless you must feel in regards to your uncle's addiction to narcotic painkillers. How does he get these meds anyway ? Does he have an injury of some sort that gains him access to so many pills ? Has your family as a whole tried to speak to him about it all at once. I guess he has not learned from experience per say. Please respond ! I'm here to help (:

Old 03-16-2001, 03:01 PM   #9
    Mamanell

Mamanell HB User
    Unhappy

My husband has been taking hydrocodone off and on for about 20 years. He is now taking it on a regular basis and has been for over 3 years. He takes 2-3 per day 7.5/750.

Hydrocodone is generic Vicodin. According to his Dr., it is not addictive as long as you are in real pain. Believe me, he is. However, I feel sure he would have a problem stopping.

I've taken it for a short period of time after surgery and I can see how you could become addicted. It does give you a "false sense of well being". I liked it. However, it made me feel dopey and kinda sick when it started to wear off.

My husband has been on it for so long, he don't even feel the drug effects, but it still works on the pain. (or is that just his imagination)?

He too gets paranoid when his supply runs low. His Dr. tells him that he is in chronic pain every day and needs a chronic painkiller.

I hope your wife can at least cut down her dosage for your little girl's sake. I know from experience that it messes up your mind.

Good luck to you. I'm new to this board, so I'll try not to write a whole book next time.

Old 03-21-2001, 04:09 PM   #10
    Joseph77

Joseph77 HB User
    I agree with Snow and Mamnell. Your wife has to be treated, and supported by you and the whole family. It will be very difficult for her to do this by herself. Symptoms of taking hydrocodone are; drowsy ( in your wifes case maybe not, since she's been abusing it for so long ), also when SNOW said that if she complains that she's hot all the time that's also another symptom, because hydrocodone affect the hypothalamus, which regulates the temperature in your body.

take care,
    joe
    medical student

Old 03-21-2001, 05:37 PM   #11
    BabydollJ

BabydollJ HB User
    Exclamation

In my opinion, your wife is addicted..especially if she is hiding to take the pills...She needs support, love, and help to get through this..But she needs to realize what's up...Maybe she'd like to post on here to get some support....

Closed Thread