It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• *Oxycontin* Please beware! Anyone hear of *Opiate Rapid Detox*? Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2001, 10:01 AM   #1
    Summer Lynn
    Inactive

Summer Lynn HB User
    Unhappy *Oxycontin* Please beware! Anyone hear of *Opiate Rapid Detox*? Help!

I am a 35 yr. old woman, have a wonderful husband, 2 kids, house in the suburbs, business owner, and seem to have the perfect life. Perfect life except for the fact that I am addicted to Oxycontin. I was the envy of all my friends...Now I envy them. I started taking Vicoden & Lorcetts in "93", but 6 months ago I upgraded to Oxycontin. I live daily life im my own personal living hell now. Every morning starts with hunting for my pills for the day. Worrying if I will find enough to function to take care of my family. I don't even take them to get high anymore...I take them to feel normal enough to be able to take care of simple every day tasks. At $40 a pill... our bank account has suffered deeply.
    last week, I finally told my husband about my problem. Telling him was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life. I had to tell him where all the missing money went. I had to tell him about the kind of people I was hanging with while he was at work during the day & the parts of town I had to go to. I had to tell him all the times I lied about where I was going and where I had been. I was so ashamed I still am so ashamed. I have tried so many times to detox on my own. But withdrawl from this Oxy-Demon is worse than any pain I have ever endured in my life. You feel like you ARE dying.
    I am very thankful to have such an understanding husband. He still loves me and wants to help me. If it wasn't for me telling him when I did, I may not be here today of my own choice. This Tuesday, I am flying to Florida (I live in Michigan) to a Rapid Opiate Detox Facility. The treatment is done under anithesia and rapidly detoxes your body of opiates in 4-6 hours while you are asleep. I have my bags packed and wish I were leaving tomorrow.
    Does anyone know of anyone who has had this procedure? Just a little scared and not sure what to expect.
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Don't ever try these Oxycontins! I know too many good desent people who have ruined their lives taking this drug. I have a friend right now losing her home because of her addiction and the high cost of this pill. You can get addicted after 1 try and your body always craves more & more. I am taking 2 pills a day...$80 a day now. Last month it was 1 pill a day, and the month before that it was 1/2 a pill a day.
    Thank you for listening. I hope my story will help someone who is around OXYCONTIN. Remember...I said "It won't happen to me. I am a strong person." It did happen to me and it is stripping me of everything. It CAN and will happen to you if you take these.
    If anyone has ever been through Rapid Opiate Detox...please resond.
    Thank you!
    Take care & Beware
    Summer Lynn

[This message has been edited by Summer Lynn (edited 03-21-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2001, 03:59 PM   #2
    Joseph77

Joseph77 HB User
    I've been on oxycontin once. I have a herniated disk in my back and the doctor prescribed me that exact drug. I took it as prescribed, then later my doctor told me to crush it and swallow it instead because I was having alot of nausea. When I did that, I realized why people get addicted to this drug so much. As bad as I feel saying this, I really got a "buzz", and it lasted for 3 hours. I'm so glad that those were my last couple of pills because I could have run the risk of getting addicted.

The only thing I can tell you about this detox center is that heroin addicts use it also. They are detoxed through anesthesia and it has a high success rate. I wish you all the best, and I know you will make it through this. You have a loving husband and family that I know will support you 100 percent. It took alot of guts to tell your husband what you did, and THAT by itself is the FIRST STEP TO RECOVERY....

Take care, and keep us posted....
    Joe
    Medical Student

Old 03-22-2001, 02:10 AM   #3
    Claudius

Claudius HB User
    Thumbs down

I can't believe this procedure is still legal. I wonder how much they are leeching you...$5,000...$8,000?

This procedure does NOT have a high success rate. Their claims are false. There is no way you can detox in 4-6 hours, I don't care how much naltraxone, opiate antagonists, et al they pump you up with. Not possible. And you will NOT be asleep the whole time. I have talked to many people with first hand experience, have done much research on this topic and sadly, it does not live up to it's hype. You will be throwing your money out the window. I am afraid it still has to be the slow and old fashioned ways: cutting down, meetings, rehab, methadone, etc... UROD does NOT work and is a dangerous procedure. There are no easy ways out of this, no magic bullets. Be very careful.

Sincerely,

Claudius

(I was looking for some files but I am not having a very good day I will look for them later and post them if you like...)

[This message has been edited by Claudius (edited 03-22-2001).]

Old 03-22-2001, 09:08 PM   #4
    Vincent

Vincent HB User
    Please be cautious about these rapid detox places....the previous poster is correct, the results are not that great.

Why can't you simply go to your regular MD and tell him or her that you have an addiction to Oxycontin and you want to get off of the medication?

They can always taper you down to the 20mg oxy, then the 10mg oxy, and then either to percocet or meth.

Have you done research on this place?

Old 03-24-2001, 01:30 PM   #5
    Christine

Christine HB User
    I to, have heard of this procedure, but have not heard of the success rate.

I hope you have a plan for when you return home. Have you found a local meeting of AA or NA to joi? I would recommend going to a meetings before you evengo to this detox so that you have a plan of action to stay clean. Believe me and every other addict you will talk to - detoxing is only a beginning - it is only half the battle. Staying off drugs is the challenge. Good luck to you.

Old 03-30-2001, 10:14 AM   #6
    WinterAires

WinterAires HB User
    I just read the original post here and am hoping that the original poster comes back to tell us of her experience with this Rapid detoxification. We have one doctor here in alaska who does thsi procedure and it is very expensive yet has been reported to be a very safe and effective procedure. So let us know how you're doing and about your experience with it.

Closed Thread