It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Any advice for ditching Skoal? Smokeless tobacco?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2001, 12:13 AM   #1
    (male)

D@N HB User
    Post Any advice for ditching Skoal? Smokeless tobacco?

I have been dipping Skoal since I was 14. I am now 33 and want to stop. I have bouts to mouth bleeding after removing the tobacco. I brush 3 times per day and have suffered no dental problems from it, but I the fear of mouth cancer is making me want to stop.
    I tried quitting several times, but after I eat nice, large, satisfying meals, I long for a chew of snuff.
    Has anyone here ever crossed over and beaten this?
    Any tips? Horror stories to scare me to death?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2001, 05:06 AM   #2
    annita

annita HB User
    Exclamation

hi there!

i have never dipped skoal, but i smoked cigs for about 15 years. i have quit hard drugs, drinking, etc. but the nicotine was the hardest thing EVER to give up. i would be able to handle it for mabye 3-4 weeks and then i would practically go nuts. ughhhh!!! i suppose the two are much alike. anyway, quitting that stuff is definately the thing to do. you dont want to get cancer in your mouth!!

now, first of all, keep trying. your chances of success get better and better after each serious effort to quit. have you talked to your doctor about this??? sometimes that can be a great help.

i will tell you what my last resort was. Wellbutrin. it really helped me alot!!! talk to your doctor about that option as well!! dont give up!!! it is hard, but not impossible!! good luck! annita

Old 08-08-2001, 10:20 AM   #3
    david c1
    Inactive

david c1 HB User
    Hey D, Just find a web site that posts pics of cancer of the lips and gums. The shock value should be enough to make you think twice. My MIL has no teeth, no upper pallett in her mouth, No jaw bone on the right side of her face. All from cance that started onher lip. They have put a piece of skull to replace her upper pallettt and she refected that, they used teflon and that too was rejected. If you don't mind food coming out of your nose when you eat and aren't too attached to your teeth have at it. Other wise reconsider . Perhaps Bandits are named that for a reason. They can certainly rob you of any quality of life if not life itself. Good luck, David

Old 08-17-2001, 07:35 PM   #4
    kingofthahouse
    Inactive

kingofthahouse HB User
    I to was a dipper for a long time until i was injured badly and as a result ended up with some depression and was put on wellbutrin or zyban which ever you want to call it, they are both the same. It made it impossible for me to dipp without throwing up so that kinda broke the mental addiction as well. It leaves a taste in your mouth most all the time which completly takes away your desire for it. The downside is that alot of HMO'S and insurances won't cover it if your useing it for nicotin addiction and it's fairly expensive comeing out of your pocket, but if it has the effect on you as it did for me it would only take 1 month....2 max...it really did the trick

Closed Thread