It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Apology Letter

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #1
    wizwaz2004
    (male)

wizwaz2004 HB User
    Question Apology Letter

Hi all, this is my first post so here it goes. I am an alcoholic and have two grown and married daughters that cut me off from seeing my grandkids 2 years ago. So at that time I sought some professional help and went to the VA hospital and to the church to participate in their celebrate recovery program. After one year of being clean and sober I made an appointment to meet with my pastor, my wife, my daughters and their husbands and spilled my guts as to some of the reasons I foolishly drank all the time and sincerely apologized to them. Now it has been 2 years of being clean and sober and they still cut me off. I don't understand how they can continue this stand off but I am being as patient as I can. Right now I am thinking about writing another letter asking for forgiveness again, but am not sure if I am doing the right thing. So my post is to ask for suggestions.

The following user gives a hug of support to wizwaz2004:
    Linda662 (07-07-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
    renko
    Veteran
    (female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User
    Re: Apology Letter

I'm so proud of all you have accomplished in your life. Keep being with people who will support you and your decisions and keep reaching out to your children. I had a situation with one of my sons and finally he came to want to know me better and to learn to trust me. it takes time when people have been hurt and disappointed by someone they loved in their life. Don't give up on them. Keep communication open and the bridge open from your side and perhaps they will soften and forgive you and be healed. If they choose not to, you have no control over them and their decisions. You only can do what is best for you and your life. Best wishes to you. There is always hope.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
    wizwaz2004
    (male)

wizwaz2004 HB User

Thank you very much for the reply. It seems like it was motivation to continue the way I was going. Thanks again, it was very helpful.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I don't think the letter could hurt! Congrats on getting your life on track, and I hope they will find it in their heart to give you another chance......you certainly have earned it. And as renko said, you have no control of what they choose to do, only over yourself, and you're doing all you can. I applaud you!

The Following User Says Thank You to rosequartz For This Useful Post:
    wizwaz2004 (06-18-2013)
    Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
    Linda662
    (female)

Linda662 HB User

WizWaz2004....Other than letters, what kinds of attempts have you made to be a part of your GrandChildren's lives? If it was me I wouldn't spend my life groveling for forgiveness from the Adults but maybe start focusing on the Children more. Send them a card and a gift for Birthday's and Christmas, depending upon your religious beliefs of course. You have to let them know that you really care about the Children and not as much about the Adults forgiveness. I feel that you just have to keep doing this and really mean it, make sure you are doing this because you really miss your GrandChildren and that there is not some underlying issue to try to get your family back. It is so hard for people to understand that alcoholism is a disease, and think, well if he really cared about us than he would stop drinking. Coming from a family of alcoholics I understand what you are going through. But my suggestion is to just forget how the Adults feel and focus on winning back your GrandChildren, think of it as your next bridge to cross. Good Luck Sweetie, I know it has been hard for you but you have done a great job coming this far.

The Following User Says Thank You to Linda662 For This Useful Post:
    wizwaz2004 (06-18-2013)
    Closed Thread