It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Vicodin, Valium, Soma - 3 years

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2002, 12:53 PM   #1
    Houston858

Houston858 HB User
    Question Vicodin, Valium, Soma - 3 years

I had spinal surgery in 1999 and since 6 months prior to surgery, my doctor has kept prescribing Vicodin HP, Soma Compound, and Valium. I have questioned him repeatedly about addiction and he just passes it off telling me that I don't have "an addictive personality". I'm not sure I agree with him.

At first, 1 Vicodin buffered the pain and now it takes 2 - and that doesn't give relief when the pain is severe.

I would appreciate ANY comments!

JH

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2002, 01:47 PM   #2
    Frankie

Frankie HB User
    Please do not listen to that ole myth, that, "oh you don't have an addictive personality." Because just like the 1 vicodan wasn't working for you so you went up to two, eventually two is not going to work and you will go up to 3 and so on. It's inevitable. Your talking about a substance your body gets physically dependent upon and you will not be able to function normally w/o taking them, even when your not in pain.

Before i was on heroin i was taking all sorts of pain killers everywhere from vicodan to oxycontin, and they all started out with taking one. Your body WILL build up a tolerance and you will be taking more and more just to feel normal.

As far as the alcohol comes into play with the benzos, your skating on thin ice there. Benzos meaning your valium, xanax, etc... You can take like 1 or 2 valium, start drinking and turn right into a vegitable. No joke. So all in all. It doesn't matter if you have an addictive personallity or not, what you are taking is alot of chemicals that your body is starting to get used to, and the longer you go on with it the more your body will need and the harder it will be to get off. Hope this helped you a bit. All the best,

Frankie

Old 06-22-2002, 01:54 PM   #3
    Dawn1973
    Inactive

Dawn1973 HB User
    Wait a minute, sorry to disagree Frankie, but she is using these pain killers legitamately. If you were using them to get high -not to take the pain away- then yes, I would say there is a problem and you must get help for it. Since you are only using them to fight pain, which you said you are, then upping the dose to two for pain is perfectly normal. Anyones body will build a tolerance to Vicodin after a while. If you read the literature, it says just that. There is a difference between addiction and dependance. After using any opioid for an extended period of time, anyones body eventually becomes physically dependant, meaning, if the drug is stopped suddenly, you will develop withdrawl symptoms. This is the reason why most doctors taper doses instead of stopping the meds suddenly. Now I don't know you or your doctor, but generally, if he is continually prescribing them, then maybe it is quite possible, they are necessary for you to function. However, after two years, I would think he would have referred you to a pain clinic where your pain can be managed with a long acting pain killer rather than short acting vicodin, therefore, you would not need to increase the dose. Be well.
    Dawn

Old 06-22-2002, 02:17 PM   #4
    Houston858

Houston858 HB User
    Thanks to both of you.

My doctor tells me that doctors who specialize in "pain management" do nothing more than "play" with new pain medications. And he has a FIT at the thought of a "pain management clinic" - he says all they do is hand out pain meds to addicts.

john

Old 06-22-2002, 09:21 PM   #5
    Dawn1973
    Inactive

Dawn1973 HB User
    Wrong, they do not do that. Many pain clinics don't even prescribe drugs, they use things such as epidurals, cortisone injections, biofeedback, etc. And the worst thing to do is to keep giving out a short acting drug like Vicodin. That is immediate release so it produces a high, unlike oxycontin, which is slow release and (unless abused-crushed,snorted,injected) does not cause a high. Pain drugs are so misunderstood. It really is ashame, because many times people suffer needlessly because of the ignorance of doctors.

Old 06-25-2002, 06:09 AM   #6
    levgio

levgio HB User
    Thumbs down

Whether you are getting loaded on pain killers or not, they are addictive. I was in 2 car accidents in 3 months and I started out with 1 dose a day, taking 1/2 at a time. Now, 5 years later, I am still taking them, my body is dependent on them. I have never gotten loaded off of pain killers, I still only take 1/2 dose at a time. But I am up to 5 doses per day, and would probably take more if my Dr prescribed more. I am still in pain, but I take the pills for my satisfaction, not for pain relief. And as far as pain management, there are some clinics that do just throw pain meds at you, and some that are legit. But no matter if you are taking pain medication for pain legitimately, they are still addictive. I don't tell anyone that I'm going to the Dr, no one knows that I take 5 per day. And when I run out of them, I'm in a bad mood, don't want to do anything (usually I'm a very energetic person), and I call anyone and everyone to buy a few to hold me over. But like I said, I have never gotten loaded on them, I have never drank while on them, and I have never taken more than 1/2 at a time. But my body depends on them to get me through the day. I just wanted to share my pain med experience with you.

[This message has been edited by levgio (edited 06-25-2002).]

Old 06-25-2002, 10:54 AM   #7
    Houston858

Houston858 HB User
    I talked to my doctor again and he still tells me that pain clinics are for "drug addicts" - to each his own I guess. BUT...

I have realized that I am the one in control (or should be), so I've made an appointment with another doctor for next week.

And I feel like I need to say this. I DO take them when my mood is down - even when I'm not in pain. Sorry I didn't admit this earlier. I am amazed that so many of you have taken an interest in the things that matter to me. I feel like I have many new friends - that I CAN be open and honest with about my problem.

Anyway, going to new doctor to see if we can get rid of the moderate to severe pain and get OFF of these meds.

Thanks to all - really.

john

Closed Thread