It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Hooked on Xanax

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
    xanland
    (male)

xanland HB User
    Hooked on Xanax

I have been on xanax for about 7 years (although at a very small dose, no more than 1 mg of xanax a day to help sleep or deal with tinnitus. I want to get off the stuff is cold turkey a bad idea ?

The following user gives a hug of support to xanland:
    gmak (09-25-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
    Re: Hooked on Xanax

Hello

Welcome to the board here.

I, too, had long used Xanax before tapering off from it a number of years back now. It's tough, but certainly can be done. Xanax is a very powerful drug and although it may sound like a low dose, 1mg is a strong dose.

Xanax is a benzo and we can never, ever go cold turkey from it or any other benzo. Cold turkey can cause, at the least, seizures. At first, when I began to taper, my doctor took me down too fast and I had seizures the first 2 nights. ( At the very start of my tapering, my doctor tried taking me down from opiates and Xanax at the same time. Horrible! He consulted with a psychiatrist who said, "Opiates first, Benzos second." So that is how I went.

When I got to the stage to start tapering the Xanax, I strictly followed the "10% rule." I took it 3 times a day at first... morning, afternoon and bedtime. I first cut 10% off the morning pill. Often, it will necessitate shaving the tablet with a razor or actually pulverizing it in order to measure the dose. Perfect measurements all the time... probably not, but we can eyeball it pretty close. Save any pieces or crumbs for a future dose.

When I made the cut, I stayed there for 10 days-2weeks and "leveled off." There will be some anxiety....learn some breathing techniques to help and try to stay physically active when anxiety hits. When I felt fairly level again, I would make the next cut on a different dose and then wait the 10 days-2weeks, etc, etc.

I also started to Ssooooowly move the morning pill away from early morning bit by bit. Eventually, I was able to merge the morning and afternoon dose. Then I slooooowly began to back the bedtime dose away from bedtime so my body could start adjusting to not needing it for sleep.

It took me a lot of months to do it, but I did finally get off of them. In retrospect, I should have taken even longer. When we have been on it for years, how long it takes to get off shouldn't be a concern. Measure in progress and not in time.

Wishing you well and will be around if you have questions or concerns.
    reach

The Following User Says Thank You to reachout For This Useful Post:
    xanland (09-16-2013)
    Old 09-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
    xanland
    (male)

xanland HB User

I take .5 morning .5 afternoon .5 bedtime last night I cut .5 in 1/2 and I felt fine I will do the same now .125 for morning. I added B12 I read it might help with gaba but I am not sure.
    thanks

Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi xanland, Thats too fast for a benzo thats a 50% & 75% reduction in 16 hours & there is a risk of seizures with reducing benzo taken for years, are you working with a dr to taper down? The above poster made a good point that if we take something for years then why do we expect to be off of it in a week or two or days even? The 10% reduction sounded workable & smart, did you understand it? It takes patience to taper but a smooth healthy recovery is the best. I hope that you are successful but think months not weeks or days to get off.
    P.s. i just noticed that there is a sticky note about tapering at the top of this board

Last edited by gmak; 09-16-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: added ps

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
    xanland (09-16-2013)
    Old 09-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
    xanland
    (male)

xanland HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    Hi xanland, Thats too fast for a benzo thats a 50% & 75% reduction in 16 hours & there is a risk of seizures with reducing benzo taken for years, are you working with a dr to taper down? The above poster made a good point that if we take something for years then why do we expect to be off of it in a week or two or days even? The 10% reduction sounded workable & smart, did you understand it? It takes patience to taper but a smooth healthy recovery is the best. I hope that you are successful but think months not weeks or days to get off.
    P.s. i just noticed that there is a sticky note about tapering at the top of this board
    maybe I should try morning .5 afternoon .125 bedtime .5

thanks
    Steve

Old 09-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
    xanland
    (male)

xanland HB User

ok so the time table should be about 12 weeks to be clean if I cut 10% every 2 weeks. damn I hate this ....

Old 09-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
    xanland
    (male)

xanland HB User

note to myself today
    morning .125 afternoon .125 diner bedtime .5
    1 mg for the day,

.5 less so far I feel great.

When can I stop worrying about seizures ?

thanks

Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
    SoundsFamiliar
    Inactive
    (male)

SoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB User
    Cool Re: Hooked on Xanax

That's a respectable dose level you've been on for 7 years.

I'd be thinking in terms of tapering off over say, 14 weeks and not much faster. I suggest you give yourself a full week after each small reduction in your daily intake, to get a sense of how well your body's handling it.

sf

Old 09-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Steve

How are you?

Well, I have to say in honesty that I do think you are moving much too quickly. There has been a 30+% cut in just 2 days. I know you have written that you cut to .125mg, but I wonder if you mean to .25mg? .25 would be half of a .5mg tab; .125 would be only a quarter of a 5mg tab.

At any rate, if you were to cut by the 10% rule, it will take much longer than 12 weeks, much longer. We each have to do what we feel best for ourselves in the end. For me, I followed the 10% rule because it has been tried and true.

I hope you will let us know how things continue for you.
    All good wishes
    reach

Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #10
    xanland
    (male)

xanland HB User

I am doing ok, yes .25 it's been 3 days now and I am trying to shave off 10% I woke up last night at 1:30 am freaked out about seizures so I took another .25 to calm down. This is the 1st time in 7 years to try and kick this. I feel more awake than ever but affraid of seizures. I will post tomorrow 9/19 cheers all

Old 09-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi xanland, It is just a precaution to taper so dont worry bc i have gone days without since cardiologist started it in february & nothing has happened to me. Just being safe. So if you are tapering, then it will be ok.

Last edited by gmak; 09-18-2013 at 07:48 AM.

xanland (09-19-2013)
    Old 09-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
    xanland
    (male)

xanland HB User

yesterday morning .25 afternoon .50 needed nothing at night total was .75mg for the day.
    I finished my first week cutting back 10-20 %

Today I had .25 at 9:00 am lets see how the day goes. I still haven't gone 1 day without in the last 7 years, I hope to report soon that I did

I had another .25 at 4 pm today
    another at 10 pm .25

total for 9/22 .75

Last edited by xanland; 09-23-2013 at 08:23 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to xanland:
    gmak (09-22-2013)
    Old 09-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi xanland, I think that is great, safe but significantly lower. If starting at 1 mg/day & now at .75mg/day thats a 25% reduction, Bravo!

Last edited by gmak; 09-22-2013 at 04:49 PM.

xanland (09-23-2013)
    Old 09-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
    xanland
    (male)

xanland HB User

9/23 day 9

so far .25 at 6 am
    another .25 at 10 am
    feeling a little shaky right now.
    .25 at 6:30 pm
    Total for day .75

I feel like I am taking it so I don't have a seizure. I feel less depend on it,
    no need to keep a pill in my pocket. I would always have one in my pocket
    but now I can leave the house without it.

update later today.

Last edited by xanland; 09-24-2013 at 05:17 AM.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi xan, Thats great! But, you mean that you are taking it to keep tapering not just to prevent a seizure right? I wish that your dr was tapering this with a plan for you because i think that would lower anxiety as well!

Closed Thread

Tags
    xanax withdrawal