It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Quitting Tramadol for Good

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
    Olo5855
    (male)

Olo5855 HB User
    Quitting Tramadol for Good

Well today's the day, the day I finally get off this stupid, addictive, drug my doctor told me was so much safer to take than narcotics....Tramadol.

I've been taking the drug for over a year, and have reached an average of 500 mgs. a day. I've cut down, and tried to taper in the past, but just couldn't seem to quit completely. I feel very weak taking this drug mentally, I truly hate admitting that I am dependent on this drug. My fear is the withdrawal symptoms, and my ability to continue to make it through my busy day while dealing with these symptoms.

You see, no one in my life has a clue to my dependence on this drug. I am married, with 4 kids. I coach all of my kids baseball and football teams, work hard in business, and make a very good living. No one would suspect for a moment that I've been buying Tramadol off the online pharmacy's for well over a year after my doctor quit prescribing me the drug. Honestly, I'm somewhat disgusted with myself that I let myself get in to this predicament.

So I'm quitting. Since Thanksgiving, I've cut down on my intake, for the past 3 days I've taken a single pill when the symptoms get too bad. My issues include the "zaps", sweating while having goosebumps at the same time, cold hands, cramping in my stomach, and of course the good old sh*ts to go with it. In addition, I'm foggy, and feel a bit disconnected and awkward. My joints hurt, and at times, just getting comfortable is a lesson in futility.

I took my last pill yesterday afternoon around 5pm, and am completely out of Tramadol. I know myself well enough to know that I can't have any around if I'm going to quit. So they are all gone.

I have no doubt I'll be searching for a pill, in my jeans, or under the couch, or in the medicine cabinet soon, but I'm fairly positive they are all gone!

I'm writing this today for a few reasons;

1) I think writing out my feelings and admitting them to someone, even anonomously will help me get through this. Any support, or words of encouragement would surely be appreciated. No one knows in my world, I don't believe they could be sympathetic to someone who is, for all intents and purposes, a junkie. I know, sad right? But it's true, and you know, I got myself into this, I can get myself out!

2) My hope is that this post will help others who are in my same boat. I know I'm not alone, I know there are many, many others who are struggling with this addiction too. I hope in some way my day-to-day account of quitting can help those who have to deal with this in the future.

I can do this, I can get off this cycle of addiction. I am 39 years old, I have to do this now, I have 4 kids who are my life. I want to grow old and be a positive influence in their world for many years, why would I risk my life for this drug?

-J

Last edited by mod85; 12-03-2013 at 01:17 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Olo5855
    Me2You51 (01-28-2014),Pandie (12-04-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
    lenvegas
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
    Re: Quitting Tramadol for Good

Hi I wish you the strength to get through this and believe it or not there is a light and the end of this dark tunnel you are in. I should know as I quit the pain killer Vicodin cold turkey many years ago and know what you are feeling and yes, good people,responsible church going people and parents get hooked on this stuff, it is just the nature of these drugs. Tramadol is not considered an opiate per se but it has a similar molecular structure as codeine so its' potential for abuse can be quite high. Benadryl may help you with withdrawal (no more than 100mg per 12 hours) and it is non addicting so you may want to get a medical consultation on this. And listen, if you can not get through this do not be stoic, get some help, it is really nothing to be ashamed of and has little to do with will power because an addiction by its' very nature renders the person powerless over his addiction. Consider telling your wife as she may offer a measure of support for you during this time. Hang in there buddy......

The Following User Says Thank You to lenvegas For This Useful Post:
    Olo5855 (12-03-2013)
    Old 12-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
    Olo5855
    (male)

Olo5855 HB User

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement, I find it comforting to know that others have gone through the pain of withdrawal, and come through the other side. I know that if others can do it, then I'm strong enough to do it too. Thank-you as well for the tip of benedryl, I've been trying Advil Cold & Sinus as it helps take a little edge off, while giving me a bit more energy to make it through the day, but I will definitely try the benedryl in the evening, as maybe it will help me sleep a bit. I'm considering telling my wife, I feel like I've been hiding this knowledge for a while, and though I didn't make the choice to be addicted, I'm ashamed that I am. I'm also highly emotional, which isn't a completely new trait for me, though it definitely is stronger than standard. Thanks again for the note...it helps even more than you know.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
    lenvegas
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User

Good luck to you and please let us know how you are doing from time to time......

Old 12-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
    Pandie
    (female)

Pandie HB UserPandie HB UserPandie HB User

Hi Olo,

I commend you for taking back the reigns of your life!! I know you probably feel like crap right now, but I promise, it does get better. I've got almost 4 months clean off opiates (roxicodone) and just want you to know I'm rootin' for ya.

I know you probably do not feel like it, but maybe check into some NA meetings in your area or even online. The best thing about recovery is you're going to feel your feelings. The worse thing about recovery is you're going to feel your feelings. I don't know what you were medicating with the tramadol, but usually whatever that was, depression, anger, fear, sadness... just doesn't go away. Don't be afraid to talk to someone.

Praying for you brother, this too shall pass.

Pandie

Old 12-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
    Olo5855
    (male)

Olo5855 HB User

First off, thank-you for the words of encouragement, and the hugs, it's funny how much more connected I feel just knowing there are people out there who care.

Last night & this morning was a mixture of good and bad, and I'm not 100% sure how it will pan out. Let's start with the good. After work, my 13 year old son had a wrestling match, and I was in pretty bad shape. Zaps, stomach cramping, cold sweats, you all know what I mean. So after reading many more forums, and blogs, I went to the pharmacy and purchased some Immodium AD. In addition, on the advice of LenVegas, I picked up some Benedryl. Both made a huge difference, and has, so far, made a huge difference in these withdrawal symptoms. Anyway, I was able to get to the match, socialize, and enjoy the evening watching my son. Afterwards, I took some Benedryl and slept much better than I would have under normal circumstances. Sure a few times during the night I had to get up and "walk it off", and my wife told me I was "doing gymnastics" in bed last night, but I managed to get some sleep.

In addition I told my wife what I was dealing with. I don't think she truly understands the true depth of it, but that's ok, I like it that way. The good news is that I told her! I am tired of feeling as though I'm lying to her, as I was with the amount of Tramadol I was taking. So today has brought a feeling of a weight being lifted off my shoulders. It feels good.

Speaking of shoulders, now the bad news, I found out yesterday that I need to have another shoulder surgery. I was a college wrestler and football player long ago, it's these injuries are what set me down the path of pain killers & pain killer abuse. This will be my 3rd surgery on this shoulder.

So....I have to go back on pain killers??? My surgery is Friday and its pretty invasive. I'll be out of commission for 5-7 days, and then its a 6-8 week process to get me back to being able to utilize it again. I don't think there is a choice? I dunno, maybe it will help in the withdrawal from tramadol? Ha, yes, get off Tramadol by taking Morphine. Genious! Anyway, I'm stuck on this one. Ideas?

Back to the good news. This morning my wife and I took our 4 month old baby girl to the doctor for her check-up. Just looking at her gives me renewed strength and commitment to succeed in this. To see her, so dependent on me, unable to live without me, it made me realize that I'm not just living for myself, but for them.

Thanks again to all who've read this & have even just hoped for my success. The good chi is something you just can't get enough of!

-J

Old 01-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
    Me2You51
    (female)

Me2You51 HB User

I have quit twice previously and am trying again. This is my second day off tramadol - technically third, but the first day I did take low dose codeine, so. .however you want to view it.

I am getting by on Coricidin, aspirin, Imodium and arthritis rub. Oh, and Calms Forte which does seem to help the anxiety. But then, as I recall I am not in the belly of the beast yet.

This is very hard, so I empathize with you. I got on tramadol a few years ago and find it hard to quit because of pain I acquired after kyphoscoliosis surgery. So it is real pain that always makes me go back on it. I'm thinking I'll try a TENS machine and everything natural I can this time to see if I can't do this without pills. I really don't want to be on the little devils the rest of my life -- and realistically, since I am 63, the doctors may stop prescribing to me.

I will now read over this thread as I am in great need of encouragement myself, and believe me I appreciate you and your example.

The following user gives a hug of support to Me2You51:
    Calyn72 (04-22-2014)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Me2You51 For This Useful Post:
    Calyn72 (04-22-2014)
    Old 01-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
    Olo5855
    (male)

Olo5855 HB User

Hey Me2You51, don't sell yourself short, the first few days are always the hardest. The fact that you've gone a few days without is reason to be excited. Each day will get easier, and, sure, you're going to have times when it's hard to resist, but if you keep living moment by moment, you'll get there. Keep up the good fight!!!

So, I haven't been here in a few months, but your reply to my thread pulled me back on here to let you know that I've made it through!!! In fact, as I look at my thread, today is exactly 8 weeks after I took my last Tramadol, and I've gotta tell you, from the outside looking in, the world is so much clearer, and a better place without those ****** pills.

I don't know about you, but by the end, they weren't doing anything for me outside of keeping my body from going through withdrawal. If I can do this, you can do this, I promise you!

So a few tips that I found helpful:

1) Immodium by the handfuls worked wonderfully. But you have to take a lot. They'll keep you from the stomach issues, but they also seemed to take away a lot of the other symptoms too.
    2) Advil Cold & Sinus was helpful in 2 ways; first off the ibupropin helped with the aches and pains, while the sinus part helped with my energy levels....another withdrawal symptom.
    3) Something to help you sleep. I used benedryl, but I'm sure there are several others that would work.
    4) Confidence that you will come through this dark worm hole. It does get better!

Good luck, you can do this!!! Please write any time, I'm more than happy to assist in any way I can!

Old 01-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
    Me2You51
    (female)

Me2You51 HB User

Thank you SO much for your fast reply! The fact is that my pain keeps me pretty homebound without the pain pills, but you know how it goes, you develop the tolerance and soon you're not sticking to the prescription anymore. So you're right, they end up not doing anything but keeping you from withdrawal. I'll find an alternative, just have to try harder.

I find the Imodium has helped me in the past without taking handfuls. I'm sure that's a matter of difference in peoples' chemistry. If I take a couple at a time, it's enough. Also, I'm one of the lucky ones for whom Unisom works. So this time around I can sleep. The first time I withdrew, I had NOTHING to help. Having done this before (ugh) I've learned a couple things. Just not enough to stay off tramadol in the first place, apparently.

I am so glad you are here for support. I really appreciate that - it'll help me stay off.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:20 AM   #10
    Me2You51
    (female)

Me2You51 HB User

OLO. .I'm so sorry, I failed to say CONGRATULATIONS for getting off and staying off the trams. This morning, I'm very pleased, because my OTC meds seem to be working on keeping my withdrawal symptoms to minimum. I feel like I got somewhat lucky this time around, and I don't have the slightest urge to find more tramadol. I really think the Imodium plays a large part. I'm only taking the minimum of them still. I'm still able to have a pooh every day (not that anyone asked haha) this way. What I'm wondering is: how many days did you take the Imodium, and then was there difficulty coming off that?

Closed Thread

Tags
    cold turkey, quitting, tramadol, ultram withdrawal, withdrawls