It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Differences in painkillers-An Intro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2002, 12:16 PM   #1
    texasmama

texasmama HB User
    Post Differences in painkillers-An Intro

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and I have some questions. About 6 weeks ago I cracked my tailbone *in* an orthopedic surgeon's office believe it or not. I was there for my son and I fell. Anyway, he prescribed me what I thought was Vicoden. I loved the euphoric feeling. Soon I was taking 2 every 4 hours. I have 2 small children and am a stay at home mom, so I had energy to play with the kids, clean house, etc.

My GP had switched me from Celexa (antidepressant) to Prozac just a few weeks before. Needless to say I was nauseous from the medication, Vicoden fixed that. I loved the way I felt on it, outgoing, happy, talkative. Then I started with the horrible mood swings when I wasn't on it. So I decided one day no more. I'm not in the best health, I am in alot of pain with headaches, tired due to sleep apnea and have horrible PMS. I miss the Vicoden, but it's on my counter and I've gone 2 weeks without it, and am pretty proud of myself.

Well, it's been 5 1/2 weeks on Prozac have not felt any less depressed, so I'm on .50mg of Xanax 2x per day. It's doing the job for anxiety which I started to experience. Does anyone think the anxiety could be from withdrawl of Vicoden, even if it's been 2 weeks? Is Xanax safe to take with Vicoden?

Now my original question is, what's the difference between Oxycontin, Vicoden and Hydrocodone? When I got my RX, it said Hydrocodone Acetemetaphine, substituted for Vicoden. Was I not even taking Vicoden at all?

I sat there and wondered why they don't prescribe painkillers for depression, if it makes you a happier person, why not? But then I read it can kill you. And that scared me!

Thank you all for listening.

Renee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2002, 02:54 PM   #2
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User
    Texas,
    What you got was the generic version of Vicoden or Lortab, or several others on the market. Much cheaper than paying for the brand name.

------------------
    Director

Old 10-10-2002, 10:58 PM   #3
    De Lou

De Lou HB User
    Hi-

Oxycontin is one of the strongest narcotics out there.Also the most abused on the street. People sell it and crush it and inject it like herion.

I know what you mean about the feeling of feeling good on the stuff. I take Darvocet not as strong and have been taking it and I am ashamed to say for about 2 years. I take it for pain with MS. But of course have to take it daily. I have never used more then I should in a day. I recently suffered a back injury and am now taking hydrocodone. I also take Adderall which is basically a speed type med. So as you can see I am what the normal person would call maybe a druggy. But as I said I never use more then the bottle says a day. And that is the 1st sign that you have a problem. I have been able to go a few days without the stuff also. Just because the stuff is perscribed does not mean anything. I come from a family of alcoholics. I do not drink often. But I take pills. Also keep in mind that hydrocodone conatins acetominphin (SP) which if you take any more then what is in that pill for along time you could damage your kidneys and liver faster.

But so can long term use of hydrocodone. So I did not help I went on and on as I do with all my posts.

I guess you can say I am a junky with MS...... But I have no pain!

Old 11-18-2002, 11:02 PM   #4
    SoulSearching

SoulSearching HB User
    Thumbs up

Renee,
    If you have Vicodin in your cabinet and have the strength not to take them, FLUSH THEM DOWN THE TOILET IMMEDIATELY!!!!

Vicodin, Lortab, Lorcet, Norco, (too many to name) all contain Hydrocodone. It's such a sick and destroying addiction. It controls you, makes you lie, cheat, and possible even steal to get that "happy feeling" again.
    Sounds as if you had mild withdrawls. Please stop now. Xanax are just and additive and so much harder to come off of. You will need medical treatment (inpatient) to safely kick Xanax and/or Lortab. Those are the only two drugs you can litteraly DIE from while withdrawling. I went through it with Valium.

Please focus on something else. It will ruin you and your family.

Someone who's been there and cares.
    DLG

------------------
    DLG

Old 11-19-2002, 08:18 AM   #5
    silvrcraze

silvrcraze HB User
    Question

This is for the reply about lortab and xanax withdrawl being deadly. How many do you have to be taking a day for the withdrawl to be deadly? My boyfriend used to take 15-20 a day and he kicked it cold turkey and is still alive. Where I live, people are hooked on pills all over the place and I haven't seen one person die because they quit without going into a treatment center. As a matter of fact, this lady down the street is withdrawling right now for day number 2 and she isn't dead yet and isn't about to die. Now, if someone can take more than 20 a day than they have a problem with their liver.

Old 11-30-2002, 10:26 AM   #6
    woodstock

woodstock HB User
    Hi Silvercraze

There are a few types of medications that have the potential to cause death if someone has been taking them daily for a while and stops 'cold turkey'.

Opiods - when you are dependant on them and/or addicted to them and stop taking them - make you feel pretty bad but won't kill you.

Benzos (Valium and that family of drugs) can cause death if one stops cold turkey.

Barbituates also can cause death if stopped cold turkey.

Just because it CAN cause death doesn't mean it WILL. Some people take 10 Ativan a day and drink all day long with no problems. There was one case of a person taking 1 Ativan and having a glass of wine and dying. So you just never know how your body is going to react.

You are right also about liver problems when taking large amounts of meds. in particular aceteminophen based meds.. They 'say' that you should never take more than 4000mgs. in one day, or, if using them every day, no more than 2000mgs. a day. But there are people taking much more than that that have had liver tests and not had problems. But you never know when your body is going to say enough of this.

I don't know that much about alchohol but I belive that if you are drinking alot every day and stop it also has the potential to kill.

I guess the best advice is to go and see your Dr. and take medications only as prescribed. And it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion if you are uncomfortable.

Good luck//Woody

Closed Thread