It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Binge drinking, but only vodka

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2002, 02:12 PM   #16
    Jemah
    Inactive

Jemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB User
    Hi Sue!!!

The weekend is here and I will be praying for you and your husband.

Getcha a big 'ol diet coke from the 7-11 and drink that up!!! You crave them after a while

Have a great sober weekend!
    Jeannie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2002, 05:05 PM   #17
    KIDINSANITY
    (female)

KIDINSANITY HB User
    Well, I'm here for an update...unfortunately, not a totally positive one. Had a sober weekend two weeks ago, then this weekend we blew it. Not as bad as we used to, but still blew it.

Gonna keep trying, though, because I know I can do it. I'm also looking around for an AA meeting to try, but it's hard getting someone to watch my 3 kids. Could go while the older two are in school, but don't want to bring my 1 yr old to a meeting.

I promise to keep trying, you guys! (ginger ale helps, but the carb cravings are killing me....that's another part of the story.)

Sue

Old 12-07-2002, 04:54 AM   #18
    KIDINSANITY
    (female)

KIDINSANITY HB User
    Made it through Friday night with only Ginger ale......actually slept pretty well too. Gotta get some more ginger ale for tonight....

Old 12-09-2002, 07:17 AM   #19
    BlueSkies

BlueSkies HB User
    Hi Kid,
    I hope you made it through the whole weekend - keep up the good work!

I did it all weekend too, it was the longest weekend of my entire life but hopefully it will get better from here.

Old 12-09-2002, 07:26 AM   #20
    KIDINSANITY
    (female)

KIDINSANITY HB User
    Yeah, it was a long weekend!! Gotta replenish my ginger ale and tonic water.

Thanks!

Old 12-09-2002, 09:26 AM   #21
    hzebo

hzebo HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by KIDINSANITY:
    Well, I'm here for an update...unfortunately, not a totally positive one.
    When you use after being abstinent, you don't have to refer to it as "negative" or "bad". That is what keeps you in low slef-esteem. It isn't positive or negative, "it just is". Then you move on. "Okay, just for one hour, I will not consume, or just for today, I won't consume, I will do it tomorrow, then when tomorrow comes, again, say I won't jsut for today, and pretty soon you have racked up days in a row, because you just focused on this moment here and now.

AA meeting to try, but it's hard getting someone to watch my 3 kids.
    [/QUOTE] Did you drink with your kids around? If you did , then why can't you go to a meeting?

I promise to keep trying, you guys! (ginger ale helps, but the carb cravings are killing me....that's another part of the story.)[/QUOTE]

Don't make any promises Sue, cause then you will feel like s***. That is what also makes you lose hope that you can do this thing. You promise and then fall short and then say "oh screw it anyway, might as well go all the way, I already messed up anyway." So dont' make any promises.

All this I am saying with experience. It will be okay, and if you try it for one day at a time. (that's wher that catchy phrase came from, but it works). Or one weekend at a time, pretty soon it will add up.
    Does that make sense?

Old 12-09-2002, 12:59 PM   #22
    Joanne_C
    (female)

Joanne_C HB User
    Some AA meetings have babysitting. Call your local AA hotline (listed in the phone book). Some AA districts have websites with the meetings listed, too.

If you want to stay sober, there is no better way than AA. I haven't had a drink in 13 years now, and I don't have cravings for booze either.

I found when I was giving up the booze, total abstinence was the only way to overcome the cravings for it.

Good luck, and remember that you don't need to stay sober for the rest of your life -- just for the rest of today!

Old 12-09-2002, 01:07 PM   #23
    Mongo

Mongo HB User
    When I went through my self-detox I did an internet search of alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Following the suggestions I found, I've been taking B-complex, vitamin C, and Milk Thistle. I have yet to have a craving, and don't know if the vitamins have helped or not.
    Mongo

Old 12-09-2002, 03:10 PM   #24
    KIDINSANITY
    (female)

KIDINSANITY HB User
    Thanks for all the info and advice you guys. I'll check into the babysitting for AA in my area (I'll keep my fingers crossed too.)

Doing it one day at a time seems like it might be easier than not doing it at all. I'll see how that works.....it does make sense.

As for the carb cravings, I was dealing with them long before I started drinking. I'm insulin resistant, so I'm sure the cravings for sugar/alcohol don't help. Tried the Kudzu, but it didn't seem to help.

Thanks everyone

Tomorrow is another day...........

Old 12-10-2002, 01:53 PM   #25
    Jemah
    Inactive

Jemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB User
    Hi Kid,

Just checking in and see that you are still determined. Good for you!!!!

I had a rough week, my dad had a heart attack and its still not looking good.

I slipped and drank a glass of wine and had a 1/2 shot of whiskey in eggnog (don't even like the stuff) but I am not going back to where I was. That one little taste made me crave booze all week and I could just crawl out of skin. I am strong and I won't give in but I could chew through concrete right now for a drink

I am so glad the Lord is with me cuz I just couldn't do it by myself!!!

Take care,
    Jeannie

Old 12-10-2002, 02:45 PM   #26
    KIDINSANITY
    (female)

KIDINSANITY HB User
    Sorry to hear about your Dad, Jeannie. I definitely know how stress can make you cave. I just lost my uncle over the weekend. We weren't close, but he was my mom's twin, so it's been hard for her.

Even though I have times when I cave, I can honestly say that I will keep trying. Eventually, it's gotta work, and maybe it'll get easier once my stress level goes down......still waiting for that to happen.
    Thanks for the encouragement

Closed Thread