It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Binge drinking, but only vodka

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-11-2002, 03:39 PM   #1
    KIDINSANITY
    (female)

KIDINSANITY HB User
    Post Binge drinking, but only vodka

OK, here goes.............When I drink, my DOC (drink of choice) is vodka straight. (Ketel 1, or SKyy only.) My situation is this: When there is alcohol other than vodka in the house, I don't even give it a second thought. However, when there is vodka in the house, it's always in the back of my mind,waiting till I give in and do a shot or two. Weekends for the past year have been spent with my hubby and I going through one of those 1.75 liter bottles between Friday 10pm- Sunday. I know that's a lot, and it has caused other problems in our life as well. I know it has become a problem for both of us. This week and past weekend has been vodka-less, though. We finally decided it was time to give it up for the sake of our 3 kids.

My question is this: With binge drinking, is it unusual to only do it with one particular form of alcohol? I haven't fond too much info on binging, other than how it affects college students. (I'm 37)
    Anything other than vodka can sit there and rot for ages, but the vodka gets inhaled. I've read that it's because of carb cravings, but then why not any other type?

ALso, what is this "Detox" I've read on this BB about? Is it a supplement? I've heard of Antabuse, but you need a prescription for that.

Thanks for any input...I appreciate any comments.

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2002, 05:38 AM   #2
    Jemah
    Inactive

Jemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB User
    Good morning Sue,

I applaud you and your husbands decision. Your children will ever be so thankful to you all for quitting.

My DOC was beer or wine. I'd let vodka, whiskey, rum, etc sit and rot. Wouldn't touch them. I only drank wine at home because I would get so drunk I couldn't function in public but I drink gallons of beer and maintain most of the night. I also primarily drank on weekends. Might have a few throughout the week but I got drunk on weekends. Not an attractive site.

I'v been sober for a year and half and let me tell you my life has never been better. I realize now that I didn't need the alcohol, I just thought I did.

I don't know anything about "Detox" but I know some in recovery that used Antibuse. I didn't use anything but God. Actually, wasn't even offered anything. I have heard that Kudza (kud-zoo)tea is a natural form of Anitbuse. I was going to try that but got though it without.

I wish you the very best and please do whatever it takes to stop. We will be here to support you.

Take care,
    Jeannie

[This message has been edited by Jemah (edited 11-12-2002).]

Old 11-12-2002, 07:08 AM   #3
    KIDINSANITY
    (female)

KIDINSANITY HB User
    Hi Jeannie, thanks for the input. I actually have the Kudzu (caplets) that I bought before, but only took it for a few days. I think, at the time, I was looking for a "miracle cure" that doesn't exist. Originally, because we too drank mostly on the weekends, we didn't think it was that much of a problem...just needed a little curtailing. Then, after the third time this year, spending the latter part of SUnday out cold, later not even remembering most of the day, I realized it was time......no matter what.

So far, it doesn't seem that bad. We made it through one weekend....heading toward the next, but we can do it. I think I'll try the Kudzu again, for that extra help.......

Old 11-12-2002, 09:22 AM   #4
    BlueSkies

BlueSkies HB User
    Congratulations on making it thru one weekend, I figure every time I want to drink and don't, that is an accomplishment.

I think most people have one or two drinks that they binge on. For me, it's beer. There is plenty or other hard liquor at my house, but I would even thinking of touching it. But bring a case of beer in the door and it will be gone before you know it. Last week there was leftover been in the fridge and it just TORTURED me, knowing it was in there. I ended up drinking it this weekend, and so far this week I've had an easier time not thinking about it. So definately keep the vodka OUT of the house.

Old 11-13-2002, 05:52 AM   #5
    Jemah
    Inactive

Jemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB User
    Hello Kid, you've made a wise decision and its good that you quit before a bad habit becomes a lifestyle. It's going to be difficult with the holidays coming up and all the parties but I have learned to just sit back a watch (and secretly be so thankful that I don't act like that anymore).

I am everyone's designated drive so they have to leave when I do. I still hang out with friends who drink but they are really supportive and don't put pressure on me, actually they compliment me on my discipline. I have a great time and can still be the life of the party!

Hang in there and don't go around temptation before you're ready.

Take care,
    Jeannie

Old 11-18-2002, 08:12 PM   #6
    padro
    Inactive

padro HB User
    Wink

hi sue, my name is sue aswell, i was just reading your story and i wanted to inlighten you on the term
    *detox*it means to detoxify your system no drugs no alcohol nothing nothing to help those nasty hangovers cold turkey you might want to say.i am 36 and i am and alcoholic i have been sober for 17 months and i cant remember ever feeling this good. without the liqour i can finally use the sense god gave me and that i am greatful for before it was to late .please i dont want to give the wrong impression i didnt drink everyday or for days on end but omg when i did look out i am so imbarresed of the way i acted and the things i would do is disgusting oh and every time i did i beat someone up .everytime omg now when i look back i hate my own guts.but threw the grace of god i woke up in day sick as a dog well i was sick for 3 days from one night of being a liqour pig because thats exactly what i was anyway i looked one day at myself and said thats it sue your done your gonna end up killing someone in those rages i would have or someones going to really hurt me out of fear.not to mention i am a mother of a beautiful 15 year old daughter and i was sick of seeing disgust and pain in those big blue eyes of hers she is very grateful i woke up and stopped the insanity in our lifes when i think of it now i thank god its over now when i see people drinking to get drunk it repulses me i can honestly say i will never do that to myself or my precious girl again .anyway sorry for blabbling on maybe i just needed to say it and get it off my chest. thank you oh by the way i did it without AA but i know that AA is awsome program i was lucky thank you god

Old 11-18-2002, 08:16 PM   #7
    padro
    Inactive

padro HB User
    Wink

hi sue, my name is sue aswell, i was just reading your story and i wanted to inlighten you on the term
    *detox*it means to detoxify your system no drugs no alcohol nothing nothing to help those nasty hangovers cold turkey you might want to say.i am 36 and i am and alcoholic i have been sober for 17 months and i cant remember ever feeling this good. without the liqour i can finally use the sense god gave me and that i am greatful for before it was to late .please i dont want to give the wrong impression i didnt drink everyday or for days on end but omg when i did look out i am so imbarresed of the way i acted and the things i would do is disgusting oh and every time i did i beat someone up .everytime omg now when i look back i hate my own guts.but threw the grace of god i woke up in day sick as a dog well i was sick for 3 days from one night of being a liqour pig because thats exactly what i was anyway i looked one day at myself and said thats it sue your done your gonna end up killing someone in those rages i would have or someones going to really hurt me out of fear.not to mention i am a mother of a beautiful 15 year old daughter and i was sick of seeing disgust and pain in those big blue eyes of hers she is very grateful i woke up and stopped the insanity in our lifes when i think of it now i thank god its over now when i see people drinking to get drunk it repulses me i can honestly say i will never do that to myself or my precious girl again .anyway sorry for blabbling on maybe i just needed to say it and get it off my chest. thank you oh by the way i did it without AA but i know that AA is awsome program i was lucky thank you god

------------------
    susan hamilton

Old 11-19-2002, 09:03 AM   #8
    KIDINSANITY
    (female)

KIDINSANITY HB User
    Thanks for your responding, everyone. I feel like I have people behind me giving me encouragement. Due to a job transfer a couple of years ago, we live upstairs from my mom, who is as anti-alcohol as one can get. She will use guilt and say or do ANYTHING to get anyone not to drink. She is s very controlling person, and has to be in our business 24/7. She even uses our kids against us to get her desired results. I know she means well, but her guilt turned us in the wrong direction. It added more stress and got us to the point where we would have to hide the evidence. Even though it was primarily on Saturday night/ SUnday , she would yell at us like we were 16.

For the most part, we had a good weekend, but did have a slip up. Hubby came home with a small bottle and we had 3 martinis each.....all weekend. It could have been worse. Now we just try again.
    Thanks for caring.
    Sue

Old 11-19-2002, 08:26 PM   #9
    padro
    Inactive

padro HB User
    Cool

hi sue ,i know where your comming from with your mom always in your business ,but you know what mine did the same thing as a matter of fact she didnt even care for me much ,and i used to think mind your damm business woman im grown i'll do as i like and of corse when your active in your own deniel everyone in the world is wrong and were right .i want to ask you a question did your mom ever tell you to drive your bike when you were a kid up the middle of the street or on the side walk? ok then you know most of our mothers who have there heads on strait that is, want no harm to there little girls and the truley know whats best for us even sometimes when we are grown ourselves.i didnt like my mom when i was drinking because of deniel and thats what it is deniel because now that i am sober i have a completely different out look on everything and as much as i hate to admitt it she was right .now we get along better then we ever did and i thank her for not giving up on me because we all need our mommys im 36 and when i get sick thats the first place i want to be is home with my mom and dad i lost that bond with her while i was drinking and now i have found it again and i love her that much more for having faith in me and not throwing me to the dogs i wish you all the luck and i will wait for you to come to this side you will be much happier her god bless you and all the best finding your self once again i love me now then i hated me xxxx

------------------
    susan hamilton

Old 11-20-2002, 06:08 AM   #10
    Jemah
    Inactive

Kid-I hate to tell you this but you sound like a rebellious 16 year old and you're going to drink no matter what your mommy says.

Girl, I'm just gonna talk straight to you. Don't blame your mom, all kinds of people get on our nerves and it no excuse to drink. Its called DENIAL.

Your husband doesn't sound to serious about his sobriety and you didn't have to drink with him. It would have been better for you to say "no" and let him drink alone. Nobody likes that but how hard did he have to persuade you? 3 martini's is a good buzz so don't call it "3...all weekend". You still got your desired results.

Did your kids see you drinking again? I hope you didn't get their hopes up by telling them you both were going to try and quit.

I'm not ragging on you I just think sugar coating only prolongs an alcoholic's denial. Just face the problem and admit you are powerless. Seek help and don't let pride stand in your way.

Honey, a lot of us have been down this same path.

Take good care,
    Jeannie

[This message has been edited by Jemah (edited 11-20-2002).]

Old 11-20-2002, 06:40 AM   #11
    KIDINSANITY
    (female)

KIDINSANITY HB User
    Boy, that was a big slap in the face, although a much needed one, I admit. I have to also admit, I didn't try as hard as I could have. We haven't told the kids that we are going to quit, so at least they're not disappointed.

As for the Mom situation, I guess I do sound kinda like a teenager, but the problems with Mom started LONG before I started drinking. She has always overridden my parental authority, even when we didn't live upstairs from her. She's the type of person that demands respect from everyone, but gets to treat everyone else any way she wants to. She has even said that she doesn't owe me any respect at all because I am "just her daughter."

It's not that I am determined to drink with or without her permission.....I'm actually determined to quit, so I need to try harder because I know I can do it. I guess the added stress from mom seems to make it easy to form an excuse and crumble.

As for the 3 martini buzz, I didn't look at as the same thing, because it was 3 all weekend, instead of 3 in an hour, which was the norm before.

Thanks for listening, you guys.
    Sue

Old 11-20-2002, 03:47 PM   #12
    Jemah
    Inactive

Sorry Sue, I didn't mean to come off so gruff. Maybe I am a little like your mom.

Everyone deserves respect not matter what they do and I apologize again because I don't know the situation with your mom.

I shoot my mouth off a lot and boy oh boy does it ever keep me in constant trouble.

I hope you'll forgive me and I truely want to see you succeed in your quest for sobriety. Hope we can stay pals

Take care,
    Jeannie

Old 11-20-2002, 04:20 PM   #13
    KIDINSANITY
    (female)

KIDINSANITY HB User
    Jeannie, I wasn't mad or upset at your post. I think you're right, and it was a well needed proverbial slap. Unfortunately, it took me a long time to get to this point where it's time to stop. Because it was mostly on the weekends, I was looking at it as a "social thing" and not a real problem. Now, I know it's a problem, and it's up to me to do something about it. I just have to work through the extra stressful times (which seem to be more and more these days.) I know I can do it.
    Don't worry about shooting off your mouth. There are times when things just need to be said. Sorry if I came off as a spoiled brat.

Thanks
    Sue

Old 11-21-2002, 07:18 AM   #14
    rebecarooni
    Veteran

rebecarooni HB User
    AA. Go to AA. As for detox, bulk up on your B vitamins as they will help with cravings. The alcoholism is more than a physical thing so you have to back up not drinking with somesort of cognitive or behavioral modification. Drink lots of water and help your body flush the crap out of your system. It takes three to five days to get all the yuckies out and after flushing your body, you have to flush your mind. Good Luck.

Old 11-21-2002, 07:36 AM   #15
    KIDINSANITY
    (female)

KIDINSANITY HB User
    Thanks for responding. For me, I think the physical aspect is not so much of a problem. It's the mental one. I tend to be a stress drinker, which is what started it for me in the first place. We got transferred to another state the very day I had my daughter. I had to worry about packing up a ten room house, taking care of 2 children, one a newborn, I had to find a home for our dog because we couldn't take her with us. My husband was in the other state working 80 hours a week, trying to find housing for us, and travelling back on Sat night to pack up the truck to leave on Sunday with our stuff. I was stuck in a place I didn't want to be, probably with postpartum depression on top of everything.

These aren't excuses, but the overwhelming stress just took over after a while. when we got transferred back, we had a week to find a place to live and pack it all up again. At that point, it just became routine to have a few to unwind at night. For the past year, it has mostly Saturday night/Sunday. Now I have to undo all that routine, but I can do it.

Closed Thread