It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• L-Phenylalanine addictive? vs. Adderall? help please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-14-2002, 01:01 AM   #1
    tpower9s

tpower9s HB User
    Question L-Phenylalanine addictive? vs. Adderall? help please

I have taken Adderall before for ADD symtoms with success and never abused it past the normal dosage, but I discovered this legal substance available cheaply at a local pharmacy after surfing the web for dopamine boosting alternatives. Caps are 500mg l-phenylalanine by GNC Labs. I've seen dosing recommendations of up to 1,500mgs oral in a day. I found that snorting the white fine powder from just 1 cap of l-phenylalanine (literally no burn but lots of drip requiring smaller lines) gave me and some friends an intoxicating VERY dopamine buzz equaling some coke or railed ritalin. To think, I was skeptical it could even come close to 30mgs Adderall (oral) in any way, considering what Adderall is! I read its non-addictive and doesn't build tolerance, however I somehow doubt this, at least if they are bumped. Anyone have any experience or knowlege as to long-term usage of this stuff. I can't find any information regarding recreational uses of the "natural" substance, or reliable as to using in place of Adderall over a long term oral-use basis for ADD. I've used it once orally and bumped it once thus far, and orally felt much like Adderall. Most of my experience is with Adderall, which I know consistently works with 30mg daily w/out any side-effects or bad withdrawal, but i dont have a prescription for it. Don't know if phenylalanine withdraws...I'm still tweaked high as a kite

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2002, 08:45 PM   #2
    janedoe1301

janedoe1301 HB User
    I do know that phenylalanine is used to treat depression and also used as an appetite suppressant. Some more basic info from Health Notes:

"L-phenylalanine (LPA) serves as a building block for the various proteins that are produced in the body. LPA can be converted to L-tyrosine (another amino acid) and subsequently to L-dopa, norepinephrine, and epinephrine. LPA can also be converted (through a separate pathway) to phenylethylamine, a substance that occurs naturally in the brain and appears to elevate mood.

LPA has been used in amounts up to 3.5 grams per day. For best results, phenylalanine should be taken between meals, because the protein present in food can interfere with the uptake of phenylalanine into the brain, potentially reducing its effect.

The maximum amount of LPA that is safe is unknown. However, consistent toxicity in healthy people has not been reported with 1,500 mg per day or less of LPA, except for occasional nausea, heartburn, or transient headaches.

When 100 mg of LPA per 2.2 pounds body weight or more was given to animals, a variety of complex problems occurred, leading two researchers to have concerns about potential toxicity of high amounts in humans. Although no serious adverse effects have been reported in humans taking phenylalanine, amounts greater than 1,500 mg per day should be supervised by a doctor.

People with phenylketonuria must not supplement with phenylalanine.

Some research suggests that people with tardive dyskinesia may process phenylalanine abnormally. Until more is known, it makes sense for people with this condition to avoid phenylalanine supplementation."

More info from Herbal Advisor:
    "POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
    Occasional nausea, heartburn and transient headaches

OVERDOSE
    Acute Overdose: None
    Chronic Overdose: Overuse of phenylalanine supplements can cause anxiety, headaches and hypertension.
    What to do: For an acute overdose, call your doctor, emergency medical services (EMS), or the nearest poison control center immediately. For symptoms of chronic overdose, contact your doctor.

CAUTION
    Phenylalanine should not be taken by pregnant woman,
    Individuals who suffer from anxiety attacks, high blood pressure, Phenylketonuria (PKU), or
    preexisting pigmented melanoma, a type of skin cancer should not take phenylalanine.
    It should not be consumed with protein-containing foods.
    Individuals taking prescription or over-the-counter medications should consult a nutritionally oriented physician before taking DLPA.
    If you are taking antipsychotic medications, do not use phenylalanine."

Old 12-16-2002, 02:27 PM   #3
    Jemah
    Inactive

Jemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB UserJemah HB User
    Are you using this to get high? Or for your ADD.

Reminds me of huffers and spray paint. Anything to cop a buzz.

Telling this stuff on this particular message board strikes me as a little off.(addition and recovery board). We are skating on thin ice as it is and I would hate to see someone try this pretending a "legal" high is ok. Look at booze.

I know, I know, "nobody puts a gun to your head to make you try it" so I said before someone else could.

Just seems odd, that kind of info in here. My observation only.

Jeannie

Old 12-16-2002, 10:26 PM   #4
    tpower9s

tpower9s HB User
    I didn't even intend to get "high" originally, however I posted here just in case getting high from this stuff could pose an addiction problem. It was a friday night and me and some other friends who were already drunk (I wasn't doing anything other than phenylalalnine) were going to a party and I figured, why not try it since it looked as unpainful as it was to bump. The first oral dose I could feel a tiny bit. I've never bumped coke or ritalin, but they both had and said it felt about the same (extreme motivation etc). I gave them each just 1 for the next day and one already got back to me saying it worked again. I haven't bumped it since, but taken just 2-3 orally daily in the last couple days showed little discernable effect at all indicating it was absorbed MUCH MORE inefficiently than railing it, more difference than with most other substances I've encountered for sure. I don't want to get addicted. I've been addicted to legal substances before, such as caffiene, and don't find it fun when it starts happening. I don't want phenylalanine to withdraw badly and curiously wonder if getting it into the bloodstream immediately and effectively (ie snorting it) differs significantly in dosage/dependence from the slow inefficient absorbtion of orally, supposedly being even worse mixed with a full stomach, as is anything. If its not bad, im pretty sure occasionally bumping in the right amount (not enough to tweak) would be like taking Adderall orally without it mattering what I ate since its not entering via the digestive tract. Last thing I need is diet limitations and Adderall generally doesn't care, just differs in how quickly it kicks in.

Closed Thread