It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• When Your Hatred is Destroying You...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2003, 05:02 PM   #1
    James123

James123 HB User
    Post When Your Hatred is Destroying You...

Whenever we hate somebody they occupy all of our thoughts, while we are asleep and awake. They consume our beings. We run the same tape over and over about what this person did to us or what they said about us, etc. Well, I've figured out how to stop the tape, how to get the person out of your system, how to stop this hate from hurting us anymore!

When we hate it's not because somebody did something, it's because we are FEELING hate about what they did. I'm not saying to stop the hatred or get rid of it. Allow yourself to continue to hate (it's too exhausting to try and stop yourself from any emotion anyway). But, while you continue your hatred try this: find a couple or maybe just ONE quality about the person you hate in which you can say they are a good person for this one quality. Zero in on it and tell yourself how much you admire the quality. Remind yourself (even if it KILLS you) that God doesn't love this person any less than He loves you.

What will this do? By focusing on even one quality that you admire, your brain will be, in effect, brainwashed into thinking that this person is NOT someone to hate (how can we possibly hate someone when we find something about them we admire or like?). Then, whenever you are tempted to think about why you hate this person, your brain will remember why you like them too! This will almost negate your hate for them. It will perhaps allow yourself to automatically purge the obsessive hate over the person.

I know that I was OBSESSING over how this person wronged me and how much I HATED them for it. Well, ever since I focused on two qualities about them that I liked, my brain, when introduced to the idea of the person, no longer starts the hate tape. I've already programmed my brain that this person has some qualities that I like, so my brain STOPS THE HATE!

Try it. If you are in the boat that I was in I am SOOOOOOOOOO very much behind you. I know the anguish, the kicked in the stomach feeling, the anxiety, the heartbreak, the rage, the obsessing over how you want to get even or end this pain. And I am feeling very good right now! If I can free myself from the clutches of hate then so can you.

Hey, here's a good reminder for you: (I'm paraphrasing here: Hatred does more damage to the vessel in which it is stored than to the vessel on which it is poured.

Peace my friends! Eliminate your hate by adding some love.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2003, 09:11 PM   #2
    Zoeyoe
    Inactive

Zoeyoe HB User
    Nice post. Thanks!

Closed Thread