It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Sleepless- Please help only 5 days clean

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2002, 08:17 PM   #1
    BillScript

BillScript HB User
    Post Sleepless- Please help only 5 days clean

I have been reading all the posts and after 2 months I thought it was time for me to get advice. I have been on perscription drugs for 10 years. I have taken percosets, lorcets, vics, soma, ambien and anything that I could get off on. It started with my first back surgery and now I have had a total of 5, 10 teeth pulled, sinus surgery. I have been in and out of 5 detox only to get out and pick back up. I am so tired of this disease and why I was so blessed to have it.
    Just recently my addiction took me to doctor hopping, buying them off the street, stealing them from anyone who had them. I have been taking 40-50 lorcet 10/650, 30 soma, 6-8 xanax, 3-4 ambien a day and 5 days ago after being caught by my daughter I made a decision that I was a dog chasing it's tail. I have had it! The first 2 days I had anxiety, craps, didn't sleep, and just wanted to die. Today is the end of the 5th day and I still have the cravings (about 1 hour 4x a day), skaey hands, and the worst one is no, to very little sleep. I feel like I am losing my mind when it's time for bed.
    I am going to a great counselor, 2 NA meetinga a week and to church. God is my higher power and I know that without Him I could not have gotten through the past 5 days, but God I need some sleep.
    Well I'm, sorry if this doesn't make much sense, nor do I know if I have any sense but can anybody give me some advice and how long does the sleeplessness last? I have enjoyed Woody, Danny, and Hope's posts all you guys are great!!
    Thanks,
    Bill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2002, 12:56 AM   #2
    Hope12

Hope12 HB User
    Bill,
    Hang tough, you're almost there!!!The sleeplessness does get better.In detox, they give you Ambien for sleep, but I'm thinking since you're already taking it, it probably does little more than take the edge off your withdrawal.When I would try to detox at home, the Ambien wouldn't put me to sleep, but when I was in the hospital, they put me on Catapress,tranxene(like Valium) Bentyl,Quinine and then Ambien, and it worked.Even though it sounds like spit in the ocean, melatonin might help relax you also,but get the 3mg.It may not put you to sleep, but I found it took the edge off, and sometimes I would eventually fall asleep.At times I would even take two 3mg, but that was me,and it did help.You can start with just the 3mg, and see how it is for you. When someone told me to try it, I didn't think it would work for me because I had such a high tolerance,but it actually did have an effect.I, too was taking outrageously high doses of opiates,and my tolerance was out of this world, so I do know where your at.But 5 days? You're almost home free.Another thing I did, even when I was in the hospital, was take super hot baths, especially when I got the chills and shakes.Surprisingly, they did help and had more therapeutic value than I thought they would.This is tough for you to do this at home, and you might consider contacting one of your doctors and being honest with them.It's a difficult step to take, but if you did and got some meds to help ease the withdrawal,you'd probably feel like you had the world lifted off your shoulders.I found that the Catapress, even though it really is just a blood pressure med, really reduced the withdrawal symptoms dramatically.Once again, that was just me,everybody is different(but I stand behind it,because I felt like if I would of had it at home, I would of been able to detox at home).Catapress is also called Clonidine if you didn't know already, and it's something you could ask your doctor about if you should decide to call.But I really think you're getting near the end of withdrawal,and you've come this far,so STAY STRONG!!It must of been a real kick in the butt to have your daughter catch you, I know that feeling, too, and I was totally disgusted with myself.What a reality check. Speaking of reality, when I finally came back to it, I found that it wasn't so bad, and I was much stronger clean than I was when I was under the influence of about 45 Ultrams and 30 vicodenES's.Oh, just a suggestion, I've also been loading myself up with B-complex(liquid, sublingual best route)to help get my nervous system back on track so it can start producing Seretonin again(at least somewhat)and I am also taking the anti-depressant Amitryptiline(Elavil).Really helps me sleep at night,too.I've also thrown in some L-Tyrosine(helps increase those happy chemicals,too) and D,L Phenylalinine(does same thing).But I also stay concious of the fact that I'm taking a prescribed antidepressant,and watch for any potential interactions or side effects.So far, no problem.I hope you hang in there,and I really do think it would be great if you got some help from a doctor, because sometimes it can be dangerous stopping all that cold turkey.Plus the honesty ends up feeling really great!!!It's definitely going to take a while to get sleep patterns back to normal, but it is so worth it. (Wow, I never thought I would ever say that),the sense of freedom you get is awesome.Keep praying,take extra care of yoursself during this period, and you will make it.Have faith in yoursself and God,and when this burden is lifted,your potential will be unlimited.Keep posting,keep going to meetings,keep going to church,and you will find the strength you need to beat this demon!!!Keep us posted with your progress, because you're also an inspiration for others trying to fight this disease alone!!I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers, and look forward to hearing from you again.God Bless...

Old 12-28-2002, 05:49 AM   #3
    BillScript

BillScript HB User
    Thanks Hope
    I really appreciate the help. When my daughter caught me 5 oh now its 6 days ago we dumped everything I had so I guess I could say that I am really going cold turkey! My wife (God love her) is a health nut so I have all those vitamins and will try them, 3 days ago I started taking St. John's Wart and I am waiting for that to start to work.
    I will try the hot bath and showers. At this point I will try anything. I am scared to death to ask my doc. for anything because I know that it will start my merry-go-round. I have already told him that I have a problem and all he has ever said is that he does not know how to treat addicts but he won't give me anything that is addicting anymore.
    This disease will kick your butt and I don't have much left in my tank. I have enjoyed reading all the posts and I will just keep reading. All of you are special people. Hope you have to hell and back so keep it up I will continue to pray for all of us.
    Bill

Old 12-28-2002, 07:27 PM   #4
    Hope12

Hope12 HB User
    Bill,
    Wow, That took a lot of strength to toss everything you had,but it shows how determined you are.Ask your wife also, about 5HTP,it also acts as a seretonin precursor and is also used to treat insomnia.As far as the St. John's wort, the only thing bad about that at this point is that it can be stimulating,and can increase the raciness you feel while withdrawing.Another GREAT thing to try, and your wife probably knows about this,too, is SAM-e,it's kind of expensive, but has been found very effective for opiate withdrawal.They did studies using 1600 mg.(it comes in 200 and 400mg strength)a day, and I forgot to mention that earlier.It also helps repair the liver and has also been used as an antidepressant(and an effective one).Since this is something that our body produces (but not enough of),there are really no side effects and it's pretty hard to take too much of this stuff.In the case that you do try this, get the SAM-e that is enteric coated,which is very important,because it is then absorbed through the intestine and is 6-times more effective than if it is absorbed through the stomach.Stay strong, and it's great that you have your wife to support you through this.If your interested in the 5HTP and SAM-e, there is tons of information on the internet about these,and can help you decide if you'd want to try it.Hang in there, it'll all be worth the effort!!

Old 12-28-2002, 11:04 PM   #5
    celesteloveage

celesteloveage HB User
    Bill,

You give others like myself hope that I can and will make it through this horrible process of detoxing from prescription pain meds.
    Just thought I would ask if you have tried taking any milk thistle extract? Milk thistle helps to aid your liver in detoxifying itself also the rest of your body too. I've found that the gel caps work best. As for the St. Johns Wort I personally don't feel it works but I do recommend the 5-htp it does and also helps promote sleep.

Happy, healthy New Year to you!

Kindly,
    lori

Old 01-14-2003, 07:52 AM   #6
    drajem

drajem HB User
    KEEP up the strenght. I been using pain meds for a serious neck injury for 10 yrs now. From vics oxys hydro to morphine sulfate. MORE AND more increases and increases... well i had enough... In christmas this year i was reminded by family and friends what i have done to myself. At forty two i was taking three 100 mg of morphine and uncounted numbers of hydrocortone in between. SOUNDS horrible... well it is. On Jan. 7 i cold turkeyed the morphine..... LIVING hell but haven't turned back... Still i am taking two or three hydro a day but on the road to losing that also.. LOTS OF WILL POWER and LOVE is how i am coping. SYSTEMS>>>> shakes bad.. muscle reflexes, high bp, nausea, alussinations, you name it... the worse i say is the leg, back and stomach pain.... it is much worse the the pain i originally started taking the meds for. GOD HELP us who have to detox and i pray for you and wish you luck. GOD BLESS

Closed Thread