It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Help, heart pounding, Vic withdrawal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2003, 11:17 AM   #1
    Selina90

Selina90 HB User
    Question Help, heart pounding, Vic withdrawal

Does anyone know how long I can expect to feel like my heart is beating out of my chest and palpating? Over an 18-month period I started taking a couple vicodin a day and eventually I was taking 5 to 6 Vicodin a day, then I tapered down to 2 and 3, then 1, and now I just take a couple of Ultram a day, but the heart thing is driving me nuts. I've been to the ER cuz I got so scared and my blood pressure and pulse were a little high, but that's it. I didn't tell them of my Vicodin use. Does anyone have any kind of history with this symptom??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2003, 11:31 AM   #2
    Anonymity
    Veteran

Anonymity HB User
    When my fiance, who was on similar doses, went through Vicodin withdrawal, he said the heart pounding lasted intensely for the first week or so, and then it was noticeable for the next week, and then it significantly decreased after that.

Just take it easy, recognize that the Vicodin is messing with your body, and if you get scared again, go back to a clinic or ER. If you do return, however, tell them about the Vicodin. Believe me, they have seen many, many people go through what you're going through, and they understand. Plus, they may be able to help you more and/or give you something to calm you if they know about the Vicodin. Finally, Vicodin withdrawal can be a dangerous thing. In order for the doctors to properly evaluate your symptoms and whether you're in any medical danger, they must know about the Vicodin.

In fact, you should be in constant contact with a doctor who knows that you're withdrawing. If you're not, I would highly encourage you to find a doctor who can help you through the rest of the withdrawals. Even your family doctor can be a great help. They will guide you, console you, prescribe any calming drugs that you might need, and oversee any medical care you might need. You will have a better chance of actually making it through your withdrawals without quitting and going back to the Vicodin if you have professional help and guidance.

Good luck, and know this, it does get better. At some points it will get worse before it gets better, but if you know and understand this, you will find it much easier to continue your withdrawal. Let us know how you do!

Closed Thread