It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Need to talk to someone addicted to Ultram, fioricet or both

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2003, 03:43 PM   #1
    Carri37

Carri37 HB User
    Cool Need to talk to someone addicted to Ultram, fioricet or both

Hello
    I am a Ultram ( about 30 to 35 a day) and Fioricet (about 20 a day) addict. I would like to hear from someone that has been through the same thing. Even a pain pill addiction would be fine. I just need a support system.

I am going into detox tomorrow for the second time. I went about this time last year. I was only allowed to stay in rehab for 48 hrs and I saw my doc 2 times and for no more then 3 min. each time. It was awful and as happy as I was when the doc relased me to go home, I soon realized that I was not ready. I still had physical detox symptoms. It took about 1 week to get myself feeling fairly decent. I felt a bit better4 days later. When i went home I was sent home with no meds to help me and when I called my doctor I found out he was on vacation. I now think that he relased me so that he would not have to worry about any patients while he was on vacation. That or my insurance would not pay.

Is anyone out there addicted to the same thing? I take 8 Ultram and 4 Fioricet about 3 times a day and add a few pills of each through out the day. I have a 3 year old and am tired and sick all the time. I know I have to kick this probelm right now. My husband is just mad at me, and he has every right but someome to talk to would be so nice.

So if you have or have had ANY kind of pill addiction I would love some advice on what to tell the detox docs tomorrow. Most of the docs and nurses act like Ultram and Fioricet are not truly addictive and many have never heard of either drug.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2003, 07:58 AM   #2
    Jerri1

Jerri1 HB User
    Jil,I posted to you on coming off vics,& percs.Please read it.I hadnt read this post yet though.You be careful and dont try it by yourself cause the ferocet has barbituits sp.in it and can cause seizures.Ultram and ferocet are just as additing as anything.I dont understand why they sent you home so soon though!When I was in/house I was there for 29 days.I wanted to come home but I learned alot.And was surround by others who understood what I was going through and that helps alot.Most people dont realize what we go through both mentaly&physicaly.One min.were laughing the next crying and the next wanting to bite someones head off!!Make sure you read my other post to you. Take care sweetie and remember Im here for you. Jerri

Old 02-19-2003, 11:48 PM   #3
    dchc OI

dchc OI HB User
    I've never had psychological addiction but I understand withdrawal from morphine. One time we forgot to get the refill and I got seriously ill.

Old 02-21-2003, 08:10 AM   #4
    JillyM

JillyM HB User
    Smile

Wow....your message brings back memories. I was addicted to Fiorcet for MANY years and went into detox in October 2000. They had no clue how to detox me and had to look it up in the medical books to see what kind of a drug it was and what to give me to prevent seizures. I was given phenobarb? I think, because Fiorcet is a barbituate and I was in detox for 4-5 days. When I got out the hard part began when I had to face life without the drugs as a crutch. I have been clean and sober ever since...it has been very hard at times, but I don't want to go back to a life of misery, depression, lying, stealing, etc....Best of luck to you...

Old 02-28-2003, 09:59 AM   #5
    Lieutenant Lorcet

Lieutenant Lorcet HB User
    Wow, that is a ton of ultram. I can't fathom taking that much.

Honestly, Ultram is my pain med of choice. That seems to kill my arthritis pain like no other pain med I have tried. I gladly take it over vicodin or lortab any day. It also seems to last a lot longer than lorcet does on my pain.

Old 02-28-2003, 12:18 PM   #6
    Risky Business
    Veteran

Risky Business HB User
    Ultram: I remember back about 5 years ago I when I was first starting taking pain meds...most all the docs wanted to rx ultram.

Way back then and even now I think there may be a perception that because Ultram is not classified as scheduled or a narcotic that it is not an addictive medication.

I have read mixed reviews and though Ultram never seemed to help me...I have seen several CPP saying how addictive that ultram is.

I would advise all to be aware that ultram is as most any medication because of phycological/physical dependence. Carri, we are all here to support you. I do think based on what you have said you do need a 30 day evaluation and detox. Just my opinion--I am no doctor.

Sometimes you have to make a stand with detoxing and the type program that may be best for you. I wish you the best.

I only say this because I am concerned. I know I also need all the resources and support possible. Please take care and keep us posted.

Sincerely,

Risky Business

Old 02-28-2003, 07:27 PM   #7
    woodstock

woodstock HB User
    Hi Carrie,

I'm really quite concerned about you and your thread.

As I'm sure you know, you are taking a very high amount of both medications. To try to stop taking one of them in 48 hours is not only ridiculous, but in the case of Fioricet at least, it is very dangerous.

Fioricet has a barbituate (butalbital) in it and when you just can't stop taking it cold turkey without constant medical supervision.

I would be on the warpath if you were a member of my family and I heard about this. How long have you had this wonderful Dr. that is on vacation? Did he even know that you were going into detox?

I would imagine that for you trying to taper off of these medications would be impossible. I'm sure that you have tried it before even with your husband holding your meds. and doling them out to you.

I really think that you need something inpatient (and inpatient for more than 30 days) and you need to find yourself a Dr. that can monitor you and maybe even try to taper the amount of meds. that you use down. I just really cannot imagine going cold turkey off of that amount of medication!

How are you doing now? Are you getting your meds. Rx or from 'friends'?

Good luck//Woody

Old 02-28-2003, 10:20 PM   #8
    Jerri1

Jerri1 HB User
    Carrie,What happened to you am very worried?Hope your ok.Please post if your still around.. Jerri

Old 03-02-2003, 09:22 AM   #9
    Eyes of Prey

Eyes of Prey HB User
    Carrie, why does your Doctor prescribe the drugs for you and what is the strength the Ultram. I am confused on the number of pills you take of both drugs. I have taken Ultram and I took two 50mg once and I was so dizzy I had to stay in bed all day.

Ultram the maximun dose is 8 X 50 mg 400mg after that serziures set in that can result in death. This is from the Ultram Web site. Also You stated you took Fioricet (about 20 a day) on the Fioricet web page toxicity dose for an adult is 1g or 20 tabelets. They only come 50mg strenght. After 20 tabelets death occurs.

Just maybe it is not the Doctors that are not doing their job. You would be grave yard dead sweetie if you took all those pills.

Detox is not what you need it my humble suggestion you get to a counslor right away.

Please let me hear from you.

------------------
    love angel

Closed Thread