It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• getting off Percocet

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
    Cowboy in sky
    Inactive
    (male)

Cowboy in sky HB User
    Cool getting off Percocet

Quick Bio: 37 male, competitive athlete(or at least was) Ironworker from NYC
    Married to beautiful wife and 20 month old beautiful girl.
    I first tried Percocets when I was hit by a car in NYC while in my way to a bicycle race. I was weened off and had no problems but remember it taking away all my little pains here and there. One day at work I saw a guy pop something he offered I accepted and was on and off for about a year and a half. Thought I could quit anytime which I did then became sick around Easter in which I checked in to the ER thinking I was gojbg to die. Back pain so I though it was my kidneys, chest pain so I though I had a heart attack or was close to one, had a headache( which I never get) so I definitely new there was something wrong. Well after 2 weeks I kind of felt better. I would drink a beer here and there when I wanted to take the edge off.
    I am shy naturally and on Percs I just transformed into a social butterfly hahaha. I remember crying thinking I was going to die and leave my family fending for themselves. Anyway I had quit and started cycling again and being active. Fast forward a few months I end up getting hurt at work. They prescribed percocet a and it was open season since I had an injury. I kept it in moderation till it was time for fiesta BBq's,thanksgiving, Christmas etc. I managed to do all my therapy and some gym up to The surgery date.
    Well I got the procedure done and kept on the percs, it went from 1- 10/325 every 4 hours to cutting it down to 2 a day. Then last couple of months went back to 2 in the morning, 1 at lunch then 1 at home. Last month I decided to start weening off so I won't get hit so hard with WD. I started taking 1 in the morning and one at night for about a week and already started feeling sluggish. I started to take more pre work out drinks to fight the lethargic crap and just kept cutting down the percs till where I was down to only half a pill .5 mg in the mornings and yes still felt like crap. I finally stopped last Monday and it was horrible. Wensday had to call in sick and I had all the symptoms of the flu except fever. Maybe a slight fever but not crazy. Lots of night sweats though.
    I didn't think it was going to be this tough being that I weened off pretty good and not so fast.
    So, day 6! NO PILLS! Been at the gym last 4 days. Still get a bit of headaches, back pain(again thinking my kidneys though I know it's not) and sometimes a bit of loss of appetite with the state of foggyness. What and how long did you guys feel? Just trying to figure out when I will become a competitive,cocky athlete again hahahaha!!! Few months I will be repairin my shoulder and I told my wife I will NOT be doing narcotics! Btw, I told her I was quitting, she just doesn't know how seriously I needed them things.
    Thanks for your help guys! Hopefully I can help others here as well! OH, exercising absolutely helps my depression/anxiety attacks or at least I think it does!
    Anyone's take on this would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
    lenvegas
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
    re: getting off Percocet

Hi, good that you have exercise to pump up your endorphin levels to get you through the nightmare of pain killer withdrawal. May I suggest a good wide spectrum amino acid supplement. Myself and other body builders take this supplement not only to build muscle but is also a great mood lifter. Amino acid therapy is the natural way to treat depression also so for you as an athlete and if you are going through a withdrawal it is certainly worthy your consideration. Good luck to you....

Old 01-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #3
    Cowboy in sky
    Inactive
    (male)

Cowboy in sky HB User

Duuuuude, thanks for the info bro!! I'll be picking it up tomorrow. Just did a nice chest routine and I'm pumped! All the good feels are coming around. They're weren't around all day until I hit the gym.
    Thanks for the tip, I'm on it!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:22 AM   #4
    Cowboy in sky
    Inactive
    (male)

Cowboy in sky HB User

Day 8, feel good except for some slight headaches bit of depression,concentrating is a little tough and the feeling of not being able to catch a satisfying breathe. Anyone experience this? I feel pretty good otherwise but I'm a little concerned on the respites part. Thanks for your reply.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
    Cowboy in sky
    Inactive
    (male)

Cowboy in sky HB User
    Cool getting off Percocet

So I'm on my 5th week completely off the perks! I feel like I have a bit of my life back. I am totally conscious of everything I do which before was just a fog like experience. I don't crave the Percocet not one bit. Actually I got a script and have them to a friend (yes I spoke to him about quitting but he does not want to). I really don't know why I ever started that crap. It is a nice high at first but omg once you start building tolerance it's all downhill.
    Well everything is almost fine. I'm still having issues with feeling lethargic. I have energy but sometimes all of a sudden I don't feel like doing crap! I keep tellin myself it's probably depression from the percocet withdraw but not sure. If you read my other post I had done a full taper. Down to .5 mg a day for a week then came off. Another issue is the pain! I have incredible back pain and neck pain. I keep telling myself it's the whole withdraw thing where the body is trying to trick the mind. Hopefully that's true cause I'm in pain!! I also got my SEX DRIVE BACK!! Omg!! I never thought it was going to happen!!

I just finally learned about Ltyrosine. I hope it's as good as they say. I'll be trying it tomorrow morning.
    I know that there is hope for all of you! You have to WANT to stop. Roll ip your sleeves and tackle it! Exact words I told my buddy! Shame he said "I don't want to" lol. He's a nut!!
    Anyone with tips or experiencing what I am please let me know and if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask! I would love to pay back to this community!!
    Cowboy in the sky, YEAH!

Last edited by Administrator; 02-02-2015 at 07:09 PM.

Reply Reply