It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• how to overcome opiate withdrawal

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #1
    anewlife33
    (female)

anewlife33 HB User
    how to overcome opiate withdrawal

hello everyone! I wanted to share my experience in the hope of helping Others. I have taken painkillers off and on for years. I've gone thru withdraws many many times. I finally overcame my addiction by realizing why I stared abusing them and research research reaserch...I've tried the Thomas recipe, etc. My biggest issues are anxiety, irritability, and insomnia. Without getting into everything and making whoever is reading this bored, I'll jump right in. This is how I did it, cold turkey. I went to the Dr and told him I had sCiatica. Anyone addicted to opiates I'm sure k ows how to Google an ailment, go to the Dr and complain. Tell the Dr you read about the medication gabapentin and want to try it. Tell him that you also have mild anxiety and read that gabapentin. May help with thag. If yout throw things in like, "I've tried prescription pa in meds And things like Xanax but they just make me loopy so after reading about this medication, I got really excited and would like to try it." Ok, so after you get it, also go to a health food store and get L-tyrosine, Source of Life vitamins and of course, immodium. The best way to do this, the most effect way, is to take about 600-900mg of the gabapentin right before you go to bed on the LAST day that you use opiates. It will help you sleep And feel good the next day. Upon waking, take 1000mg of the L-TYROSINE, your vitamins and your immodium, and another 300mg of the gabapentin. 2 hrs later take another 300mg of the gabapentin. It's better absorbed if you drink a glass if orange juice or tale an ibuprofen. I should've said that 1st. So take an aleve Or advil With it. That would help with any aches and pains. Halfway thru your day, take another 300mg of the gabapentin and 500mg of the ltyrosine. Do this every day for a week. It will get you thru the roughest part. I absolutely swear by this. Of course you're still going to want the drugs and kinda crave then but I promise you, you will feel fine physically and mentally. I read a while back that major depressive disorder sometimes is caused by a gaba defiencency. Major depressive disorder can cause anxiety, aggresion, etc. I researched and tried everything. Then I read about these meds And gabapentin Is used for seizures, insomnia, alcohol withdraw, etc. I have quit cold turkey and thought I was gonna shoot myself in the head because of the physical and emotional hell it caused. Coming off of roxys,oxys, methadone is no easy task. But I swear to you, if you do this, you won't have to suffer. You will feel good. Feel fine. Skeep, eat, take a shower and not feel like it's an overwhelming chore. No sweats. No stomach pain. No anxiety. No aggresion. I hope someone reads this, tries it and posts back. Maybe the hell I've been thru will mean something. If I can even just help one person than it was all worth it. Thanks for reading and I hope beyond hope that this helps whoever er is reading this. I can't stress enough that it WILL!!

The following user gives a hug of support to anewlife33:
    Phoenix (02-08-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2015, 06:25 AM   #2
    Phoenix
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
    Re: how to overcome opiate withdrawal

"Upon waking, take 1000mg of the L-TYROSINE, your vitamins and your immodium, and another 300mg of the gabapentin. 2 hrs later take another 300mg of the gabapentin. It's better absorbed if you drink a glass if orange juice or tale an ibuprofen. I should've said that 1st. So take an aleve Or advil With it. That would help with any aches and pains. Halfway thru your day, take another 300mg of the gabapentin and 500mg of the ltyrosine. Do this every day for a week."

With all due respect,there are some who may be either allergic to,or are already taking other meds which may interact with your particular regimen.

I would suggest an individual go to their primary care physician and have a full physical (including blood work)....

At that point,using your regimen can be discussed,by the very individual that is aware of ones complete medical history.

Respectfully
    Phoenix

Old 02-19-2015, 10:52 AM   #3
    anewlife33
    (female)

anewlife33 HB User

You are right, ppl could have an allergy to these medications. However, most (not all) ppl struggling with addiction try and keep it a secret. Of course the smartest thing to do would be to go to your dr or any Dr for that matter. But most ppl wOnt. Out of shame or protectioN of their struggle. It's embarrassing to have an addiction. It has taken me YEARS to admit even to myself that I'm an ssict. I wrote this post in the hop that someone who is fighting this struggle alone, in secret, could maybe get thru it easier. This is just my story. Or part of my story. The best is absolutely yet to come. Or maybe the worst. It's a rocky road. A gigantic struggle. I just wanted to share and maybe help.

The Following User Says Thank You to anewlife33 For This Useful Post:
    trucktires (03-26-2015)
    Old 03-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #4
    oxygirl
    Veteran
    (female)

oxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB User

It sounds great! I love to read about different things that help people. Of course Phoenix is right about the other possible interactions. However, like you said addiction is shameful and most of us do try to not let everyone know our "dirty little secret". It is bad to have an addiction due to pain and it is a terrible cycle to go through and people make you feel like trash and in all actuality you just want to be normal and feel good. Sometimes things just get out of hand and what we think helps us actually harms us more than anything. You end up dealing with 2 demons. the pain and the pain from the addiction. If you get gabapentin, hopefully your doc knows of all the other stuff you are taking so to avoid interactions. I have some gabapentin. I haven't been taking it and didn't really give it much a chance. I read some bad things about it which is true with any medication i suppose. I have a lot of legitimate pain and anxiety along with depression. I let stupid things bring me down and I worry entirely to much about things that may or may not happen. I may research some of the other things you mentioned and see how they interact with some of my other medications. I have a lot of problem with low energy level and stamina. I have had blood work done to rule out other potential health issues. I do have a low vitamin d level which has increased but not enough to be therapeutic yet. I am fine with all my other blood work. All I want to do is be able to wake up and feel refreshed and not hurt and not want an opiate and wow i guess i want to feel 20 again instead of almost 50! lol. I am a work in progress. I do not blame anyone for any of my addiction issues. I become addicted to opiates after seeing a doctor and getting put on oxycodone for pain and remaining on it for 8 years. It is a tough battle to wage. medicated pain/unmedicated pain...... like I said sometimes u deal with 2 demons. One other thing I heard that is also good for withdrawls is clonidine. I myself have wondered and should ask for it from my other doctor but he isn't aware i had an addiction issue and I am not trying to get any narcotics from him so I sort of just want to keep that to myself.

sometimes just getting on here and posting your frustrations and listening to others also helps a lot. good luck to you

Reply Reply