It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• New and hoping to find support and advice with alcohol abuse

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #1
    BoyMom3
    (female)

BoyMom3 HB User
    New and hoping to find support and advice with alcohol abuse

Hi!

I am new and just looking to make some connections with others who have the same struggles. After having some physical health issues concerning my heart, I decided to see my Dr. At the supporting nudge of my husband, I also shared with my Dr my secret of 10 years of alcohol abuse. I will be having some testing and blood work done this week concerning the heart issues, but as you can imagine, and which I knew already, I need to stop drinking. The only time that I have ever stopped for a few days at a time is when I have been pregnant. Other then that, I drink every single night, usually 3-5 glasses of wine each night. We have managed to keep this secret to ourselves and my husband is very supportive. After my drs visit yesterday, I know I need to stop, drank my wine last night and poured the rest of the bottle out. The problem is, I have been here before, tried to stop, do good for a few days, let myself have a "treat" on the weekends for not drinking for a few days, but then don't stop again.

He also feels like I may have some depression. Although not sure if it causes the heavy drinking, or the heavy drinking has caused it. He prescribed me Effexor to start taking, although I am a bit hesitant, but will ask more about it on the depression board.

He also wants me to see a counselor. I have not called her yet, but I am almost certain that we would not be able to afford that for long.

I am a very busy mom of 3 young boys. My life is overwhelming at times and if I am brutally honest, I look forward to the kids' bedtime every night when I can pour that first glass. Thinking about not having that makes me anxious.

I guess my question is if anyone has any advice to offer as far as steps to take to make the process easier. I do not want to go to any meetings or anything and I do not plan to discuss this with any of our family/friends at this time because I do not want people checking on/nagging me about it.

Also, has anyone else started using an anti depressant while stopping alcohol and find that it helped?

Thank y'alll so much!

The following user gives a hug of support to BoyMom3:
    Phoenix (03-26-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2015, 04:07 AM   #2
    Phoenix
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
    Re: New and hoping to find support and advice with alcohol abuse

Hello BoyMom3 and welcome.

As drinking has become part of your daily routine,try rewarding yourself at the end of the evening,(once the children are put to bed) with a favorite piece of cake and either tea or hot cocoa.

After all,you put in the hours and deserve a treat at the end of the day,as a "thank-you" for yourself.

Think the day through,as you're sipping that tea/cocoa (the good and trying times) and be thankful that you can now take off that cape that says "supermom" on it and can relax to a state of being mild-mannered mom.

There are times where an underlying condition,such as depression,may lead to the desire to drink.

This can be explored with a therapist,in conjunction with taking the mood stabilizer your physician has prescribed.

Maybe there's a sliding scale payment system setup within the therapists payment structure.

If you would like to learn more,please feel free to contact us anytime;as we're here to provide support and advice,in a non-judgemental atmosphere.

Respectfully
    Phoenix

Old 03-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #3
    BoyMom3
    (female)

BoyMom3 HB User
    Re: New and hoping to find support and advice with alcohol abuse

Thank you for your words of encouragement Phoenix. I am happy to say that today makes day 7 that I have not had a drink. This is probably the longest I've gone in 10 years (unless pregnant, I quit cold turkey for the duration of my pregnancies).

I have my 1st appt with a therapist on Tuesday. I have not started the Effexor yet because I have read too many terrifying things about it online. I plan to talk about the medication with the therapist. I also had some tests and blood work this week. I hope to get those results back soon.

I hope to find much encouragement here. Thanks again for your reply!

Reply Reply