It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Help. Do I have Addison's?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-27-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
    Abigail0240
    (female)

Abigail0240 HB User
    Help. Do I have Addison's?

Hi
    I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what may be going on in terms of my health. I am a 15 year old female high school student who has dealt with various illnesses over the past 7 to 8 years. It all started when I began to gain a large amount of weight at the age of 8 without changing my diet or amount of exercise. I was diagnosed that year with hypothyroidism and was put on medication that resolved that issue over the course of about 4 years. My levels were spot on as well as my weight and growth develpment. I lived life as a normal happy kid until my seventh grade year. It was during the duration of my winter break that I got a common throat and ear infection. Unfortunately, this infection did not go away for three weeks and I began vomiting several times throughout the day. I had a scope to observe the structure of my stomach and everything was fine. It was later determined that I have gastroparesis. I learned to manage this disease over the next couple years but I had always felt run down and fatigued. While this was going on, my thyroid levels had been tested numerous times only to find out that they were okay. It wasn't until labor day of last year (my sophmore year) that I began to have real issues. I experienced occasional syncope and developed orthostatic hypotension. Some days I could not sit up nor stand up without vomiting or flashes of tunnel vision. I have adjusted my diet and drank plently of fluids as well as salt but nothing has worked. During this time I've had minor weight loss as well as a slight loss of apetite. I've had new mood swings that are often uncontrollable. I often wonder if this is just an age thing and becoming a teenager but they are effecting my daily functionality severely. In addition, I've always had unexplained anxiety since my hypothyroid diagnosis as well as constipation. I'm experiencing cold intolerance and overall weakness. I'm looking for thoughts on whether or not you think this could be addisons. I have about 80% of symptoms excluding the hyperpigmentation. I have incredibly pale skin due to me not feeling well. The only signs of hyperpigmentation is probably on my legs. I often get unexplained bruises and scars that darken significantly.

I am currently waiting for ATCH test results to come back. I have seen every other doctor there is to see. All have said there may be something going on but could do nothing to help in their department.

I am curious to see what all of you think.

What kind of symptoms did you guys experience before being diagnosed?

I apologize for the long post. Thank you for reading and responding! I appreciate it more than you know

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #2
    Abigail0240
    (female)

Abigail0240 HB User
    Re: Help. Do I have Addison's?

Hello!
    So glad to here from someone in regards to figuring out this crazy thing called chronic illness. It has been a few months since I have posted to this forum and I'm glad to say that we have found a correct diagnosis for me. Initially we thought Addison's, hence the reason I was here. However, with a few more doctors visits it was determined as pots syndrome. This explains the fainting and brain fog I had been experiencing frequently. Since then, I have gotten back on my feet a little; however, I'm still homeschooling. I hope that you can come to some sort of conclusion about your illness. I know how frustrating it can be to just not feel well for so incredibly long. I wish you all the best and would love to here if you figure something out. Best wishes.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
    Abigail0240
    (female)

Abigail0240 HB User
    Re: Help. Do I have Addison's?

I'm so very glad to here that the hydrocortisone seems to be improving your condition. Getting back to your question, my has certainly improved in recent time. Despite not taking any medications (since they didn't work and were expensive) ,I have been able to return to some of my daily activities. It is certainly still a bit of a rollercoaster at times, but I haven't felt this great in months. Currently, I'm on a low dose of birth control to help regulate some hormones, which is proving to be very beneficial for regulating mood swings and all that craziness. Anywho, I'm so glad to hear your response and I too love listening to other's stories. It's great to know I'm not alone.

Reply Reply

Tags
    addisons disease, anxiety, gastroparesis, orthostatic hypotension