It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

How long for Dx? Neurological Symptoms?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2016, 06:12 AM   #1
glmccready
(male)

glmccready HB User
How long for Dx? Neurological Symptoms?

Hello all,
I started having symptoms, just after a bout with Mono (EBV) when I was 20. I remitted and relapsed for 29 years before I was diagnosed (10 years ago).

Q2: Anyone else have problems with double vision, nystagmus, vertigo, tremors, tics, and extreme flu-like feeling (total body ache)??

I have to take alot of extra prednisone to help with these neurological symptoms, which sometimes last for months...40-50 mg.
Although it has been 15 years since I've been brain tested, all my scans, and spinal taps were normal. I think these other odd symptoms (besides the horrible fatigue) are really the reason my AD diagnosis took so long. My electrolytes have been a bit off many times, but nothing dramatic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #2
Diefen
(male)

Diefen HB User
Re: How long for Dx? Neurological Symptoms?

I can't say that sounds familiar, but I can tell you that a sodium deficiency can really mess up your brain. Fortunately, some or all of the time the effects go away when your electrolytes are back on track.

Good luck.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #3
glmccready
(male)

glmccready HB User

My electrolytes and BP both seem to be fine. I read about a case with autoimmune encephalopathy associated with Addisons. Usually a very rare side effect of Hashimoto's thyroiditis.
The good news is I respond quickly to steroids, 50-60mgs of prednisone, instead of my usual 10.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-20-2016 at 01:36 PM.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
Dragonfly Wings
Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
Hello all,
I started having symptoms, just after a bout with Mono (EBV) when I was 20. I remitted and relapsed for 29 years before I was diagnosed (10 years ago).

Q2: Anyone else have problems with double vision, nystagmus, vertigo, tremors, tics, and extreme flu-like feeling (total body ache)??

I have to take alot of extra prednisone to help with these neurological symptoms, which sometimes last for months...40-50 mg.
Although it has been 15 years since I've been brain tested, all my scans, and spinal taps were normal. I think these other odd symptoms (besides the horrible fatigue) are really the reason my AD diagnosis took so long. My electrolytes have been a bit off many times, but nothing dramatic.
Hey there, I am newly diagnosed - under two months..... but it has taken in my opinion at least 10yrs of mis-diagnosis blaming mental health for everything that has pointed to Addison's Even my doctor has said the same thing, but that's a complaint for a different day LOL.

I do occasionally get some of the things you mentioned, tremors, vertigo, body ache, extreme fatigue, to name a few. Some other weird things is I get something kin to carpal tunnel syndrome and numb fingers/hands even though it has been ruled out from being CT, I get a weird numb sensation in my head, daily headaches, restless legs.... it's no fun is it?

I am still getting my medication and everything under control though so I'm assuming a lot of these things will settle down once things level out a bit

Cheers,
K.

Reply Reply