It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

Addison's disease?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
leyash33
(female)

leyash33 HB User
Addison's disease?

I suffer from panic disorder, so let me go ahead and throw that out there.

I had blood work done about 9 weeks ago (CBC, LMP, lipid panel)... everything came back normal, except my "good" cholesterol was a couple points low. Doctor said it's likely because I smoke, and don't eat the best diet... :/

Then I had vitamin testing two weeks ago (D, B12, ferratin, and folic acid). Again, everything came back within normal range.

Pretty sure I had a panic attack about two weeks ago. Since then, I've been having intermittent symptoms.

Shakiness at various parts of the day
Loss of appetite (not fully, but 90% of the time I force myself to eat)
No vomiting/diarrhea at all
Slightly dizzy... but can still balance on one foot, just feels "weird" in my head, if that makes sense.
No fatigue... wake up around 8-9am (often kind of shaky, though), and don't fall asleep before around 11pm-12am, no naps needed.
Lost a bit of weight over the last 9 months (about 40 lbs, due to being on the run with my job constantly), but have gained 6 of that back the last 2 weeks.

That's about it. I'm trying not to research TOO much into Addison's, but when I mentioned I had a panic attack (I've had a panic disorder/health anxiety for 15 years), a friend of mine mentioned that she had a panic attack and then found out she had Addison's... so I'm kind of freaking out.

Should I really push my doctor for a test, or does this not really sound like Addison's?

Forgot to mention - blood pressure at doctor's 2 weeks ago was 119/78. However, the other day when my aunt took it, she SAID it was 120/52. I had been laying down/resting a few minutes before she took it. I don't know that I believe that, because she said about 20 minutes later it was 130/90. So I think she was just trying to keep me from freaking out, lol.

Also, blood sugar when I took it about 8 days ago (at some random point) was 99.

Last edited by leyash33; 08-01-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
Dragonfly Wings
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User
Re: Addison's disease?

Hey there,

I suffer from adrenal insufficiency/addison's and it doesn't appear you have anything to worry about with it being this. You would be incredibly unwell, especially in the fatigue department, this was one of my tell tale signs for my doctor to have me tested. Some days simply having a shower and getting dressed is so exhausting that I physically cannot do anything else all day. It's terrible Lucky it is quite a rare thing to have though so I do hope this is not it for you.

From what you are describing, it sounds more like an anxiety issue as a follow on from your panic attack, though I am no doctor of course. I just suffer from generalised anxiety disorder and understand just how much of a physical impact it can have on you.

Wishing you all the best!
DW.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
leyash33
(female)

leyash33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly Wings View Post
Hey there,

I suffer from adrenal insufficiency/addison's and it doesn't appear you have anything to worry about with it being this. You would be incredibly unwell, especially in the fatigue department, this was one of my tell tale signs for my doctor to have me tested. Some days simply having a shower and getting dressed is so exhausting that I physically cannot do anything else all day. It's terrible Lucky it is quite a rare thing to have though so I do hope this is not it for you.

From what you are describing, it sounds more like an anxiety issue as a follow on from your panic attack, though I am no doctor of course. I just suffer from generalised anxiety disorder and understand just how much of a physical impact it can have on you.

Wishing you all the best!
DW.
You have no idea how comforting it is to hear that. I have been struggling bad lately. I have four kids and a full-time job, so things are stressful, but I keep up with things pretty well. Just today we had two dentist appointments, had to run to take my husband to get lunch, and I just got back from the grocery store... and now I'm working for a bit before going to get my husband from work.

I did go ahead and make an appointment for in the morning at the doctor. It's a fasting appointment, so I don't know if she will actually take blood or not, but at least going will put my mind at ease. I am also scheduled to start some anti-anxiety/depression meds this weekend, so it will be nice to get it out of the way and get a "fresh" start to all of this.

I did forget to mention that I seem to have some hypoglycemic episodes at times. I do pretty well eating every 2-3 hours, so I can keep things at bay... but with AD does the hypoglycemia hit regardless, or can AD sufferers keep it under control by eating right?

I don't have hyperpigmentation, but I have what I would call a "cafe au lait" spot (a little bigger than a quarter) on my right side, but I am pretty sure it's been there for years, so is that hyperpigmentation akin to AD? Or no? What exactly does the hyperpigmentation look like, and how many sufferers actually have the hyperpigmentation?

I am curious to know what's up with my blood pressure. It's always been very normal, around 120/80 (unless pregnant, then it's 140/90), so I don't have the high/low blood pressure, but when I get up in the mornings after laying down all night, I'm slightly unsteady for about 3-5 minutes... but I can't tell whether I'm being hyperaware, or if that's really a "problem" know what I mean?

Not asking for a diagnosis, but I definitely appreciate the input.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #4
Dragonfly Wings
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Good luck with your appointment!

Not everyone with AD/AI develops diabetes etc. It absolutely can happen, but it doesn't necessarily mean you will get it. If it does happen, it is usually a fair while in to treatment, caused by the steroids.

You have nothing to worry about with your spot. The pigmentation is like a tan you might get at a salon in the middle of winter.

No idea what is happening with your BP but if anything mine has become higher since this dreaded disease.

It would be great to know how you go with your doctor
All the best!
DW.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:40 AM   #5
leyash33
(female)

leyash33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly Wings View Post
Good luck with your appointment!

Not everyone with AD/AI develops diabetes etc. It absolutely can happen, but it doesn't necessarily mean you will get it. If it does happen, it is usually a fair while in to treatment, caused by the steroids.

You have nothing to worry about with your spot. The pigmentation is like a tan you might get at a salon in the middle of winter.

No idea what is happening with your BP but if anything mine has become higher since this dreaded disease.

It would be great to know how you go with your doctor
All the best!
DW.
Things at the doctor went great!

What I thought was a "hypoglycemic" episode, the doctor confirmed was actually a panic attack - lovely.

BP was 120/81. Perfect.

Fasted for 10 hours. If I was in fact hypoglycemic, fasting like that would have caused MAJOR issues, but it didn't... so looks like that's not the case afterall.

So yes... panic and anxiety. She prescribed some meds, and I am going to start taking them.

Other than that, we went over the symptoms of AD, and it looks like I have one symptom... panic. Which isn't even a universal symptom of AD, lol. So it definitely wouldn't appear that AD is the problem... just my overactive brain working against me!

Old 08-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
Dragonfly Wings
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am so happy for you! While not ideal, at least you are not struck with a lifelong illness that can potentially take your life <3

All the best for the future!
DW.

Reply Reply