It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• sleepless in Ontario - recently diagnosed reply

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2001, 06:34 AM   #1
    Teeny

Teeny HB User
    Lightbulb sleepless in Ontario - recently diagnosed reply

Hi! I was also diagnosed with Addison's recently (a month ago) and I feel exactly the same way. Sleeplessness, wired and then extreme fatigue. I didn't sleep for 3 days. Count them - three! I found that when I decreased my hydrocortisone to 5mg-7.5mg in the afternoon, and I take it earlier in the pm (4:30pm), I don't feel the extreme fatigue at 5 and I sleep better (instead I feel it at about 9, but it goes away in about 1/2 hr). I'm still sleepless sometimes, but I'm getting better. The world is an interesting place at 4am.
    I went for a long bike ride yesterday and I'm beginning to feel better and better every day. I'm just starting the florinef and I don't know how much to take. The endocrinologist I went to was a real idiot, who'd never seen an Addisonian and WAY over-prescribed everything she could, including thyroid medicine I don't yet need. Tisk, tisk. Needless to say, I'll be switching doctors soon. My health is now up to me. My body will tell me how I'm feeling and short of a "crisis", doctors be damned if you'll pump me full of chemicals because you're ignorant of the correct dosages!
    I'd love to hear your stories about your recovery and so forth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2001, 04:54 PM   #2
    Lyndell
    (female)

Lyndell HB User
    I've had Addison's for 9 years. I take hydrocortisone, 20 mg. in the morning and 10 mg. with dinner. My endocrinologist says I don't need florinef, just eat salt if I feel like I need it. I have found that in the last several months (I am also going through perimenopause), the 10 mg. does not seem to hold me over until breakfast (7:30am). I am real sluggish and tired in the morning and it takes me until noon to really feel very good. Any thoughts on Addison's and menopause?

As far as sleeping, when I first diagnosed with Addison's I didn't sleep that well, but it got better. I also do not take my medication too close to bedtime.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Lyndell (edited 08-04-2001).]

Closed Thread