HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Addison's Disease (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/addisons-disease/)
-   -   help me figure out what this is!! (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/addisons-disease/11778-help-me-figure-out-what.html)

hello2u 04-07-2003 12:49 PM

help me figure out what this is!!

Alright. This is my fourth post on this topic. I am in my freshman year of highschool and for a couple years now ive been sick. Its not constant but it when it comes, i get really bad.
my symptoms are:
-nausea(feel like im going to throw up but never do)
- weak/sore body all over
-tired all the time, never feel rested when i sleep
-my hair is falling out, mostly when i take a shower i get a good amount.
-trouble concentrating on one thing
-my eyes bounce around from time to time when i look at something for too long.
-ive gained 10-20 pds every year since 3rd grade
-my eyes burn and get tired easily
-constant mood swings.
Those are my main symptoms but someone told me to look into cushings syndrome and i have these extra things
-round face
-intoleration of the heat/cold
-purple/pinkish lines on my stomach, i always thought these were stretch marks, and they very well could be but its just a thought.
-weight seems to be just around stomach down to my thighs.
Those are pretty much it. I have posted under thyroid problems and some other categories. I was told to post here so ill see what i get. Anyways i went to the doctor about this and i was tested for thyroid problems and before i was tested for diabetes but my blood was normal. The doctor and my parents think its all in my head and want me to go to a phsycologist but i know its not that and i dont want to go.Im kinda lost on what this could be so any comments would help a bunch! Thanks!

hello2u 04-13-2003 09:49 AM

please guys if you know anything about what this could be, it would be such a big help! another thing i left out was, when my last period came, it lasted for half a day and it never came back. im not sexually active and i know im not pregnant. please help!!!

PVS 04-13-2003 11:36 AM

Hi Hello-

I've honestly got to say that although some of your symptoms sound like addisons- many of them don't and are actually contrary (like gaining weight- with addisons, you lose weight). Many of us have been to the point you may be at.... nothing seems to show up and a shrink is the next suggestion. Happens to the best of us (myself included). I can tell you that I finally WENT to the psych. doctor- mostly to try to prove my point that that wasn't the problem! No harm done in trying. Actually- I was willing to try ANYTHING at that point. So I guess- what have you got to lose? If nothing else it will eliminate another possibility and diagnosing the more difficult type problems many times are done by finding out what it is NOT rather that finding out what it IS. Hang in there and keep searching. PVS

hello2u 04-14-2003 11:54 AM

thanks for your help. i just wanted to clarify a bit. someone told me to post under here for cushings syndrome. i know its not addisons i was wondering if it could be cushings. but thanks for your comment, it did help.

siucra 04-17-2003 12:26 PM

Hello Hello,

I sympathise with you and what you are going through, been there, done that etc...

I ran myself into the ground trying to get my doctor to understand what was happening to me, he didn't and still doesn't, I felt like I was banging my head off a brick wall to no avail. I had "it" figured to be a thyroid problem, seemed logical to me - all the symtoms, everything.

I did a lot of searches on the internet under *hypothyroidism* and found a wonderful endocrinologist who I made an appointment with, who listened to all my self-diagnosis but looked beyond that and eventually found what WAS wrong with me.

I live in Europe so my search info will be useless to someone in the US, but you should look for SOMEBODY, a doctor or whoever, who will help you - what you need is help. The diagnosis that you are trying to do is impossible without the various tests that they run. So many symtoms of the various illnesses and dis-orders criss-cross, it's impossible to tell from reading your list.

As I say, I do know how you feel, it has taken me so long to get here, and I'm only *here* 9 days, so I'm no expert coz it's quite a learning curve.

I want to wish you the best of luck with your search, it's painful and frustrating, and when you feel as crap as you do mentally and physically, it's a battle.

Siucra

HeyThere 04-17-2003 10:35 PM

Looks like your not getting enough info- it is not in your head unless you think you have every disease that is mentioned or come across (hypochodriac).

Now from what you said in the other post vs. this one go full force on Cushings -

I have a nursing book on maternity and childhood it is about 8 inches thick. I am not a nurse or doctor- My mom got it for me when I was preg. and I am a research junkie when it involves me or my family.

anywho-did you research Aspartame/Nutrasweet ? Get a copy of your medical record it is always nice to have it usually runs $25. Get your hormone levels documented with bloodwork - the doctor will prob say your homones are still balancing out so there is no purpose but it is your body and your choice.

I pulled up cushings on a search on healthboards go to the "open to all subjects forum" it should have 4/18/2003 as the date I re posted it so you could pull it up with out searching.

[This message has been edited by HeyThere (edited 04-18-2003).]

sueadams 04-25-2003 02:55 PM

I was fortunate, my doctor ordered blood tests immediately. I have both Addisons disease and Addisons anemia and I have to tell you I have gained weight steadily over the last couple of years (before treatment. I thought I was just tired and lazy!)so although weight loss can be a symptom it isn't necessarily indicative.
My best friend has been suffering from some of the symptoms you suggest and she recently found out she has polycystic ovary syndrome (hope you are a female and I haven't offended you)
Anyway Good Luck! And hope you have a diagnosis soon.

janamy 06-02-2003 11:17 AM

GO TO: [url="http://www.pituitarydisorder.net/id48.htm"]http://www.pituitarydisorder.net/id48.htm[/url] for more information on Cushing's disease. Print this information and take it to your doctor. You should be getting better by now!!!

Symptoms of Cushing's disease

The symptoms caused by excessive cortisol secretion may vary from person to person. Many of the symptoms listed below can be attributed to numerous other diseases if viewed separately. However, several of these symptoms seen together could suggest testing for Cushing's disease.

Moon Face - The face becomes round and may look flushed.

High Blood Pressure- Almost all patients with Cushing's have high blood pressure because of complex actions of cortisol in the kidney and on blood vessels.

High Cholesterol - The high blood pressure interacts with high cholesterol levels that are often seen in patients with Cushing's to increase the risk of
atherosclerosis.

High Blood Sugar - Diabetes is common in patients with Cushing's. As many as 3% of uncontrolled diabetics may actually have Cushing's. The disorder is due to the effects of cortisol on insulin action and handling of glucose.

Truncal Obesity - An accumulation of fat around the abdomen, neck and collar bone.

Muscle Weakness - Legs and arms lose muscle mass and appear thin in comparison to trunk.

Backaches - Pain in neck shoulders and back are common in Cushing's.

Buffalo Hump - Fat can accumulate at the back of the neck and between the shoulder blades.

Skin Changes - Skin may become thin, fragile and easily bruised. Acne may develop in all ages.

Straie - Bluish-red stretch marks may form on abdomen, breast, thighs, upper arms and buttocks.

Weak Immune System - Poor wound healing and increased chances of infections.

Menstrual Periods - Periods may be irregular or cease.

Labedo - Lack of sexual desire for men & women. Men may have difficulty maintaining an erection.

Hirsutism - Abnormal hair growth on face.

Balding - Hair at temples and on the scalp may become thin.

Emotional Disturbances - Mood swings, depression, irritability, confusion, and poor memory.

Extreme Fatigue - Weakness and fatigue during the day and difficulty sleeping at night.

Osteoporosis - Fragile thinning bones. Bones loose their density and may fracture or break.

Kidney Stones These are often the first manifestation of Cushing's syndrome. The calcium that comes from the bones leaks through the kidneys into the urine and can crystallize causing calcium stones.

Some patients have sustained high cortisol levels without the symptoms of Cushing’s syndrome or disease. These high cortisol levels may be compensating for the body’s resistance to cortisol’s effects. This rare syndrome of cortisol resistance is a genetic condition that causes hypertension and chronic androgen excess.

Polycystic ovarian syndrome is another condition that may share some of the same symptoms as Cushing’s. Patients with polycystic ovarian syndrome have menstrual disturbances, facial hair, weight gain, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Polycystic ovarian syndrome does not cause abnormally high cortisol levels.

hello2u 06-02-2003 12:31 PM

thank you very much for that information. i was wondering how i should approach my doctor. i went for some tests and am going back in a few days. if nothing shows up i would like to ask for a test for that. i was also wondering what the test is. if you could get back to me really really soon on this i would greatly appreciate it

InSolitude 06-02-2003 07:49 PM

Hey, hang in there and keep trying to find out what's wrong. And don't trust doctors, get second oppinions and third oppinions if need be. Some of the least intelligent people I have met, have been doctors. It sounds like you have a thyroid problem though, Try researching wilson's thyroid condition. I do not know all that much about it, but the it treats people who have the symptoms of thyroid problems, but have normal blood test results. But my best oppinion is keep trying to find the problem, and use every option available, which includes psychiatric help, it could be in your head, or maybe not. It doesn't hurt to give it a try. Best of luck

HeyThere 06-02-2003 11:52 PM

Hey- go to the open to all subjects forum again -Cushings from MotorMouth new posters after you replied with new info.

I wanted to tell you-this may seem silly but it does happen-people who wear those low risers jeans sometimes get their hip artery or vein all messed up and they cause weird sensations or lack there of-I heard about this on the news in houston that doctors were seeing an increase in young girls with the same symptoms- anyway these jeans along with bad posture while sitting if you are slightly overweight and they are tight can cause your excess amounts to one position and put pressure on the skin to expand therefore red straie on the tummy.

hello2u 06-03-2003 11:52 AM

thanks for your help again guys. i will ask about the wilsons thyroid thing. i think i got tested for something that sounds like that. dont know if they have a test but i will sure ask again. about the stretchmarks or whatever, ive had them since i was quite little actually. i got them when i wasnt overweight so i dont know. they are abnormally colored so my doctor took notice so thats all good. well i think thats it. thanks for helping. keep it up.

HemaS 09-20-2004 08:28 AM

Re: help me figure out what this is!!

Hey Hello!

Came across your post while I was trying to browse for some information on Addison's that my mother has recently been diagonized with. One or two things I thot it may help to know -
1/ Have your doctor refer you to a good endocrinologist - they are the people who can best handle this kind of problem.
2/ If your exploring the possibility of Cushing's do not rule out Addison's or atleast watch out for it - Cushing's affects the adrenal glands and this may in turn cause Addison's - read this for more info -
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Addison's_disease?open

Hope that helps & take care!
H