It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Anxiety, anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2003, 10:47 AM   #1
    nate930
    Inactive

nate930 HB User
    Question Anxiety, anyone?

Anyone here with Addison's suffer from anxiety? I have it really bad. Not the attacks, but just this constant underlying feeling something bad is going to happen. I hate it. My brain is working overtime being afraid of things.

This is a symptom of Addison's isn't it? For those who have dealt with it, did it go away with your treatments? I am on glandulars now, among other things. I just hope this goes away soon. I don't want doctors putting me on some anti-anxiety drug. I can't handle medications very well.

Thanks!
    nate

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 11:34 AM   #2
    PVS

PVS HB User
    Hi Nate-

Yes- Anxiety has been a problem in varying degrees for me. Depression is a bigger problem. After several years of problems that got to be to "interference" level I am now on anti-depressants. They have helped tremendously. Anxiety is minimal most of the time.

If you are proceeding down the "natural" path for treatment - I'm sure there is something available to help your anxiety?

It does seem to be part of this whole adrenal insufficiency problem though.

Best of luck-
    PVS

Old 08-02-2003, 08:31 PM   #3
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

I certainly had anxiety before I was diagnosed. It was so bad I commented to a guy at work that I felt like I was going to give an important speach, but I was just sitting in my office.

However, I was also hypothyroid and I always felt it was my thyroid that caused the anxiety because the symptoms cleared up after I started synthroid and before I was given hydrocortisone.

What is the cause of your adrenal insufficiency and have you had your thyroid checked?

Old 08-03-2003, 06:41 AM   #4
    itskt2u
    (female)

itskt2u HB User
    Adrenal support measures (mostly from my naturopathic doc) for about the past year, has nearly eliminated what used to be daily anxiety and an inability to handle any stressors; I take pregnenolone, licorice extract, adrenal glandular (and more recently, hydrocortisone). I also took Holy Basil herb for about a month. Conventional docs in the past seemed quick to dispense antidepressants, but I had side effects from them and it didn't seem to get at the root problem.
    -K

Old 08-03-2003, 12:13 PM   #5
    nate930
    Inactive

nate930 HB User
    Talking

Hey everyone!

Thank you for your responses and help. I have had my thyroid checked numerous times and it's just fine. I had an MRI on my brain and my pituitary looked ok. We're still not sure what caused my adrenal problems. My doctor just recently tested to see if it is an autoimmune problem.

For itskt2u, how long after taking your meds did you start to feel better? I am on glandulars and siberian ginseng right now, but my new dr. wants to test my DHEA and pregnenolone. I've been on the glandulars for about two weeks and I am still exhausted and have high anxiety. I've noticed my anxiety levels are affected by how tired or fatigued I am. Did you suffer from spaciness and brain fog when you were dealing with the anxiety?

Thank you!!
    nate

Old 08-03-2003, 03:32 PM   #6
    itskt2u
    (female)

itskt2u HB User
    Nate-

It's taken about a year to get to this point (stress/anxiety is rare now; daily before) since I started pregnenolone/licorice/glandular etc last summer; I still have spaciness/brain fog every day, just to a greater or lesser degree but it's always there; I also recently learned that some discs in my neck are pressing on my spinal cord (cervical disc degeneration), and the orthopedic doc thinks it could contribute to that spacey thing, too, so that confuses the issue also. The spaciness I have also described as feeling like I am never awake, or never 'real', maybe would trip over my feet since I am sleepwalking (!) all the time. That symptom is improving some since I recently started hydrocortisone, but I was/am really hoping it will one day disappear and I can have some sort of normalcy (whatever that is! been sick too long to remember it); I have heard that repairing adrenals is a slow process. Sounds like you are spiking cortisol at the least provocation, your hypothalamus overreacting to perceived stress (this was the case with me, too; I can relate completely to the description of your symptoms); my naturopath uses a supplement called Seriphos as a 'governor' in that case; I researched a lot and ended up also taking Holy Basil and that seemed to do the trick. I was on Seriphos several months; Holy Basil about a month; now ok without them. My son has this illness too. Recently we have both started taking GABA to help improve sleep (it also is supposed to increase growth hormone output by the body, too); GABA might be something to try for anxiety, also.
    -K

[This message has been edited by itskt2u (edited 08-03-2003).]

[This message has been edited by itskt2u (edited 08-03-2003).]

Old 08-03-2003, 05:15 PM   #7
    nate930
    Inactive

nate930 HB User
    Talking

Dear itskt2u,

How very interesting that you have a spinal issue. During my testing for a culprit to my odd symptoms my doctor did an MRI on my spine and found a herniated disc at C5 and C6. We initially thought this was the reason I felt so badly, but I really can tell that this is more of a hormone problem. I can tell when I having a heated discussion with my husband and I may be getting stressed out, that my spacy symptoms get worse. Or during PMS, I feel so tired and spaced out. Driving makes it worse too. But I completely know what you're feeling and I am sorry that you still deal with it. I feel drunk and slow all of the time, like I'm not in reality. The world doesn't look the same. I used to be pretty quick in my thoughts, it really depresses me because I don't have that lust for life I once had. And even though I don't have anxiety attacks, it's looming over me all of the time. I can't wait to feel better!!!!!

Thank you for your information and help. It means so much to me!

nate

Old 08-04-2003, 12:14 PM   #8
    itskt2u
    (female)

itskt2u HB User
    hi nate-

my neck disc problems are in the same area; had to have an mri to show what was going on with those

according to Dr Lee's books, pms is associated with high cortisol levels (cortisol competes with progesterone at the receptor level, making you progesterone deficient); am pleased to tell you that I no longer have pms either! miraculous, since I used to have it so severely I wanted to kill myself every time... since august 2002 I have also been on progesterone creme (Dr Peat's formulation called Progest-E; this is an OTC item); this combined with the adaptogenic properties of Holy Basil/Seriphos seems to have fixed that problem.

a heated argument would spike your cortisol level, further stressing your adrenals and using up more raw materials in the process

-K

Closed Thread