It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Flourinef alternatives

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2003, 11:13 AM   #1
    israelda

israelda HB User
    Post Flourinef alternatives

I recently was diagnosed with aldosterone deficiency (causing me to get dehydrated often with need of intravenous saline). Doc. prescribed Flourinef which worked great but gave me severe headaches and bluffy vision (even at tiny doses).
    Anyone have a good alternative - I suggested licorice root but he said that was dangerous as it can't be properly dosed and can cause potassium loss.

Many thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2003, 06:34 PM   #2
    itskt2u
    (female)

itskt2u HB User
    My son and I each take 2 grams per day of solid licorice extract which is imported from Italy. Our naturopath prescribes this to many of his adrenal patients. I am also on hydrocortisone (Cortef) prescribed by my endocrinologist. I tried using the Cortef without the licorice, but my symptoms got worse when I did. Regular 'licorice root' from a health food store isn't the same as the solid extract. It is the glycyrrhizin content of licorice which has this aldosterone-like effect. Licorice was used to treat Addison's disease many years ago. Dr Riccardo Baschetti from Italy has written medical journal articles (published in several countries) about the modern use of licorice extract in Addisons/adrenal insufficiency. Licorice extends the life of ones own cortisol, or supplemental hydrocortisone, in the body (you will need less HC if you take it).
    -Katie

Old 07-24-2003, 01:18 PM   #3
    israelda

israelda HB User
    Katie-
    Thank you so much for your reply. Do you know the name of the licorice you take and/or the company who makes it so I can try and purchase it here in NY.

David

Old 07-25-2003, 02:35 AM   #4
    itskt2u
    (female)

itskt2u HB User
    David-

I will be happy to give you that info

[This message has been edited by itskt2u (edited 07-30-2003).]

Old 08-07-2003, 08:19 PM   #5
    CSGJ

CSGJ HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by itskt2u:
    David-

[This message has been edited by itskt2u (edited 07-30-2003).]

Old 08-07-2003, 08:21 PM   #6
    CSGJ

CSGJ HB User
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by itskt2u:
    [B]David-

I would also like info where to get the licorice because I have adrenal problems

Old 08-08-2003, 08:53 AM   #7
    itskt2u
    (female)

itskt2u HB User
    baschetti licorice
    on google result #1 when I tried that
    let me know if that works for you or if you need more info
    -K

Old 08-10-2003, 06:07 AM   #8
    itskt2u
    (female)

itskt2u HB User
    CSGJ-

Did you find the info you needed on the Baschetti licorice? My son and I take 2 grams per day in the AM. If you need further help, let me know-

K

Old 08-14-2003, 11:36 AM   #9
    CSGJ

CSGJ HB User
    Quote:
    CSGJ-

Did you find the info you needed on the Baschetti licorice? My son and I take 2 grams per day in the AM. If you need further help, let me know-

K
    How do you mix it in the milk? How long does it take to get an effect? How much hydrocortisone are you taking with it?

Old 08-14-2003, 06:34 PM   #10
    itskt2u
    (female)

itskt2u HB User
    Actually, my son and I drink the milk separately (as a whey protein shake in the AM) and take the licorice along with it, off a spoon (we take 1 1/2 teaspoons which is apprx. 2 grams); it comes with directions on how to mix it with the milk, but we thought it was easier this way. I am taking 5mg to 7.5mg hydrocortisone and my son is taking 2.5mg hydrocortisone(HC) per day in the AM. One needs less HC because the licorice extends the half-life of HC. Some people who take higher doses of licorice don't seem to need more than 2.5mg per day HC. Licorice also acts as an aldosterone replacement. You would probably notice the difference from the first day you take it; we did! Please let us know how it works for you-
    KT

Old 08-14-2003, 06:59 PM   #11
    CSGJ

CSGJ HB User
    Thanks I ordered some.
    What were you diagnosed with? Usually with adrenal shut down they prescribed about 15-20mg of hydrocortisone

Old 08-15-2003, 04:44 AM   #12
    itskt2u
    (female)

itskt2u HB User
    We both have adrenal insufficiency, and I was prescribed 20mg/day of hydrocortisone, but as I mentioned, the active component of licorice, glycyrrhizin or glycyrrhizic acid, reduces the action of 11-BHOD liver enzyme; this is the enzyme that inactivates cortisol in your body. Thus, the active life of your natural cortisol or supplemental hydrocortisone is extended, and you will need LESS supplementation to attain the same level than you would if you were not taking licorice. My endo is not familiar with using licorice; it's prescribed by my naturopath, so we are pretty much on our own to determine how much less HC is optimal for us.
    -KT

Old 08-16-2003, 11:04 AM   #13
    CSGJ

CSGJ HB User
    Quote:
    We both have adrenal insufficiency, and I was prescribed 20mg/day of hydrocortisone, but as I mentioned, the active component of licorice, glycyrrhizin or glycyrrhizic acid, reduces the action of 11-BHOD liver enzyme; this is the enzyme that inactivates cortisol in your body. Thus, the active life of your natural cortisol or supplemental hydrocortisone is extended, and you will need LESS supplementation to attain the same level than you would if you were not taking licorice. My endo is not familiar with using licorice; it's prescribed by my naturopath, so we are pretty much on our own to determine how much less HC is optimal for us.
    -KT
    Wow, that's great. Has your Naturopath had good results with other people? What's his name? Is he from the Clymer website? Were you diagnosed with primary or secondary adrenal insuffienciey by your endo? How low were your levels?

Old 08-16-2003, 03:44 PM   #14
    CSGJ

CSGJ HB User
    Sorry another question...If you were on 20mg of HC, how did you go down to your present level with the licorice root?
    Thanks

Old 08-17-2003, 11:12 AM   #15
    itskt2u
    (female)

itskt2u HB User
    Yes, our naturopaths are Dr Poesnecker and Dr Nevill from Clymer Healing Research Center (which is nonprofit and in PA). Dr Poesnecker died in June; he was in his 70s and had been treating adrenal patients for about 45 years. They do treat people who have had an ASI (adrenal stress index test) by email/phone (which my son and I did before we were inpatients there for a couple weeks last Jan). I was originally Dx with adrenal insufficiency by a family Dr back in 1989, by way of cortrosyn stimuation test. I was inadequately treated, then not treated at all for years until a couple years ago my adrenals just crashed pretty much. Now been treated naturopathically almost one year, and recently been seen by a new endocrinologist who put me on hydrocortisone when she saw my 1989 test results (she is not sure whether primary or secondary at this point and I am having more tests run, ACTH etc, but I do find I must have mineralocorticoid- am taking licorice for that instead of florinef). When I started the HC I was already on licorice, so I started very low on HC, only 1mg and gradually upped the dose to 20mg, during which time I was off the licorice for 10 days. It became clear by then that I could not do well off the licorice, as I was having orthostatic hypotension and other symptoms (even while taking 20mg HC). So, I started the licorice up again, and reduced the HC to 2.5, then up to 5... tried 7.5mg but that seems to give me insomnia after a few days, so am back down to 5mg; we'll see how it goes on this dose.
    -Katie

[This message has been edited by itskt2u (edited 08-17-2003).]

Closed Thread