It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• adrenal masses

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2004, 07:00 PM   #1
    whenwillitend

whenwillitend HB User
    adrenal masses

hello, i'm new to this board and have little to no knowledge on this subject.
    last wk i had a ct scan for ibs........when the results came back there was an adrenal mass on the left........my gyn of all docs has sent me to a surgeron. does anyone know anything about adrenal masses?
    thank you i should mention that i have had 2 surgeris 3 months apart..(female and bladder problems) a hysterectomy, and panic anixity disorder and i'm very swollen (tummy) and in alot of pain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2004, 01:32 AM   #2
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    Re: adrenal masses

Aren't these the glands that are in the area of the kidneys? And you say you have bladder problems & female organ problems & anxiety attacks?

A lot of these things could be part of a body's response to solvent exposure. Do either you or your husband have exposure to ethylene glycol monobutyl ether (2-butoxyethanol)? It is in LOTS of products, even hobby craft products, but especially in cleaning and degreaser products. Painters are especially affected. So are those who work in the plastics and dry cleaning business.

It causes endocrine disruption, and the adrenal glands would be part of that system; this chemical especially targets the kidneys and liver and the bladder problem might go along with that. It causes reproductive harm: enlarged uterus, twisted reproductive organs possible, cists on ovaries. It particularly targets the testes. (Not your problem... but) In the last 50 years ... about the same time this chemical has been around, sperm counts have dropped and quality of sperm, too

The best way to tell if you are affected by the chemical is to have more checked in your blood than doctors usually check ... the 'RETIC ratio' for one thing; look at red blood cells & comment; take kidney and liver function tests when blood work is done, too. You would also have an odd assortment of other symptoms. See what 'Gulf War Syndrome' symptoms are ... that's about what this chemical does; and, by the way, troops were exposed to it.

Do you have fatigue (tired all the time?) ... depression? difficulty concentrating? ... joints hurting? Rapid heart rate? ...to name a few.

Old 02-01-2004, 04:25 PM   #3
    whenwillitend

whenwillitend HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dear Maggie
    Aren't these the glands that are in the area of the kidneys? And you say you have bladder problems & female organ problems & anxiety attacks?

A lot of these things could be part of a body's response to solvent exposure. Do either you or your husband have exposure to ethylene glycol monobutyl ether (2-butoxyethanol)? It is in LOTS of products, even hobby craft products, but especially in cleaning and degreaser products. Painters are especially affected. So are those who work in the plastics and dry cleaning business.

It causes endocrine disruption, and the adrenal glands would be part of that system; this chemical especially targets the kidneys and liver and the bladder problem might go along with that. It causes reproductive harm: enlarged uterus, twisted reproductive organs possible, cists on ovaries. It particularly targets the testes. (Not your problem... but) In the last 50 years ... about the same time this chemical has been around, sperm counts have dropped and quality of sperm, too

The best way to tell if you are affected by the chemical is to have more checked in your blood than doctors usually check ... the 'RETIC ratio' for one thing; look at red blood cells & comment; take kidney and liver function tests when blood work is done, too. You would also have an odd assortment of other symptoms. See what 'Gulf War Syndrome' symptoms are ... that's about what this chemical does; and, by the way, troops were exposed to it.

Do you have fatigue (tired all the time?) ... depression? difficulty concentrating? ... joints hurting? Rapid heart rate? ...to name a few.
    Hi Dear Maggie,
    Yes they are the glands that are on the top of the kidney.........no neither of us has come in contact with any chemicals that i'm aware of.yes i have had surgery on my bladder and you might as well say 2 hysterectomies....dr had to go back in to finsih the process not quite 2 yrs after the first surgery,,
    my gyn sent me to a gastro dr because he was worried about all the swelling i'm having, he though it might be IBS, she ordered a ct scan and it showed that there is a mass on my adrenal gland........this is one are i know nothing about and i'm hoping that someone out will know something.....i have an appt with a surgeron on the 10th of feb.....seems like such a long time to wait even though i know it isnt........i go back to the gastro dr this wk and will more then likely have a colonoscopy scheduled.......cant say i'm looking forward to it, but i am looking to getting well and pain free......thanks for answering my post.....i was beginning to wonder if anyone ever would.
    whenwillitend

Old 02-02-2004, 12:53 PM   #4
    HeatherW

HeatherW HB User

Hi,
    I know of two types of masses found on the adrenals. Some produce cushings disease by producing an excess of cortisol. Swelling is one of the side effects. Others produce excesses of aldosterone. Aldosterone producing masses cause hypertention, sometimes severe. As well as hypokalemia, or loss of potassium, which leads to severe dehydration.. Neither one of these kinds of masses are usually cancerous. Cancer of the adrenals is very rare. I hope that helps some. HeatherW.

Old 02-02-2004, 09:18 PM   #5
    whenwillitend

whenwillitend HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HeatherW
    Hi,
    I know of two types of masses found on the adrenals. Some produce cushings disease by producing an excess of cortisol. Swelling is one of the side effects. Others produce excesses of aldosterone. Aldosterone producing masses cause hypertention, sometimes severe. As well as hypokalemia, or loss of potassium, which leads to severe dehydration.. Neither one of these kinds of masses are usually cancerous. Cancer of the adrenals is very rare. I hope that helps some. HeatherW.
    Hi and thanks for answering
    are these conditions treated with medication or surgery do you happen to know.

Old 02-03-2004, 05:55 AM   #6
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    All the swelling you're having?

Swelling of organs is common place with the chemical I'm talking about. Such as gall bladder, spleen, pancreas, reproductive organs, even heart chambers. It causes endocrine disruption; it causes harm to kidney/liver; it causes harm to the central nervous system; it causes harm to skin, sinuses, eyes especially, etc, etc

Most people in our country have exposure ... just in the home cleaning products, hobby craft products, automotive products, paint ... get the picture?

Do you remember a time when your eyes were burning and watering and your urine turned dark and you immediately felt an extreme exhaustion? That is a sign of a strong exposure. This chemical, 2-butoxyethanol (also known as ethylene glycol monobutyl ether) is in Lysol Tub 'n Tile (not safe - it has a registered EPA pesticide #); it is in 409 cleaner ... for example

Look at my other posts & there are specialty tests in the blood that can find if you are affected, but this chemical gets away with harm without notice ... the secondary symptoms show up & doctors only look at the regular stuff in the blood & don't look further, even for those who KNOW they have exposure to this chemical. Check the retic ratio at least; and have a lab tech comment on the red blood cells. Do you have that already in your medical file?

One woman who worked on the Exxon Valdez oil spill cleanup (working with this chemical inn Inipol EAPP 22) described her need of a hysterectomy ... cists on ovaries; uterus double size and growing into itself ...

Old 02-03-2004, 06:52 AM   #7
    HeatherW

HeatherW HB User

Adrenal Masses usually have to be operated on to remove them. Usually the entire gland will be removed at the same time, as regrowth is common. Heather W.

Old 02-06-2004, 06:26 PM   #8
    whenwillitend

whenwillitend HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HeatherW
    Adrenal Masses usually have to be operated on to remove them. Usually the entire gland will be removed at the same time, as regrowth is common. Heather W.
    Thanks for the info Heather, i'm going to find out on tues the 10th and then have a colonoscopy on the 11th,docs have decided to be aggressive in finding out whats the matter with me finally

Old 02-10-2004, 12:08 PM   #9
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    Some of these things indicative of chemical exposure

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whenwillitend
    ... will have a colonoscopy on the 11th,docs have decided to be aggressive in finding out whats the matter with me finally
    Could you ask the doctors to get the retic ratio while they're at it - next time they are doing blood work?

I know of someone with a low red blood cell anemia who had a colonoscopy & the docs found no internal bleeding, only a rash in his stomach. In his case he was an Exxon Valdez oil spill bioremediation worker, so he was exposed to a lot of 2-butoxyethanol; neither he nor the doctors gave it any thought at the time. (There will be fragility of red blood cells; & regular blood work doesn't tell the whole story) Comments of the lab tech is helpful, too.

Old 02-13-2004, 04:40 PM   #10
    whenwillitend

whenwillitend HB User

Hi Maggie and Heather,
    I had the scope on weds as planned, internal hemorrids as well as a polyp where found. the polyp was removed as were several other random samples.....even though they gave me medication so i wouldnt feel or remember the scope i'm one those people that it didnt work for as i remember the entire thing........and yes it did hurt.........
    dr also confirmed ibs and put me on a lactose free diet for 2 weeks.......looks as if i have to learn a whole new way of eating........
    now to the adrenal mass. i did see the surgeron......he wants to wait until the results are back from the scope before he does a needle biosopy(ms). he said that if he thouth that the mass was the cause of all of my pain and swelling he would have operated the day after i first saw him......which would have been thurs(yesterday). i go back to see him in 3 weeks.......he called to ask me to come in so i dont know if the gastro dr called him or just what is going on......at this point i'm willing to do anything to get rid of the pain and swelling and get back to a normal life..........i will ask for my blood to be checked as you suggested Maggie.....thanks for all the info. many thanks to you and Heather.
    whenwillitend..........(jeanie)

Old 02-26-2004, 07:20 PM   #11
    donnab
    (female)

donnab HB User

I too had a CT scan done (for suspected appendicitis) and it turned up bilateral adrenal mass.

It turns out that I have pheochromocytoma. Doesn't sound like you could have this as you've not mentioned high blood pressure or spiking blood pressure. The main symptoms of pheochromocytoma is High or Spiking Blood Pressure, Anxiety Attacks, Heart Palpitations and Sweating. There are several other symptoms but those 4 seem to be common with just about everyone.

Before you have a needle biopsy done, I would make sure that the doctor has ruled out pheochromocytoma. A needle biopsy on that type of tumor could have disasterous results.

Hopefully you were referred to an Endocrinologist who would be able to determine the type of adrenal mass you have.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 02-27-2004, 03:42 AM   #12
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    Do you have other symptoms, like fatigue?

There are some chemical exposures that do the same thing; and adrenal masses would not be uncommon, nor the other symptoms you mention. Check how common 2-butoxyethanol (ethylene glycol monobutyl ether) is and what it does ... damage blood, central nervous system ... & more ... so depression and all-the-time tired, plus endocrine disruption. Adrenal glands are part of the endocrine system.

I would also call this 'package of symptoms' Gulf War Syndrome symptoms.
    Also affected workers of the Exxon Valdez oil spill cleanup; affects painters, ship yard workers, printers, auto mechanics, military, especially in war-time, household cleaners are often too strong in this chemical.

Old 02-28-2004, 06:40 PM   #13
    whenwillitend

whenwillitend HB User
    Re: Do you have other symptoms, like fatigue?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dear Maggie
    There are some chemical exposures that do the same thing; and adrenal masses would not be uncommon, nor the other symptoms you mention. Check how common 2-butoxyethanol (ethylene glycol monobutyl ether) is and what it does ... damage blood, central nervous system ... & more ... so depression and all-the-time tired, plus endocrine disruption. Adrenal glands are part of the endocrine system.

I would also call this 'package of symptoms' Gulf War Syndrome symptoms.
    Also affected workers of the Exxon Valdez oil spill cleanup; affects painters, ship yard workers, printers, auto mechanics, military, especially in war-time, household cleaners are often too strong in this chemical.
    Hi Maggie,
    yes there is some fatigue, my dr's say thats common as i've had this swollen belly and pain for quite sometime........the colonoscopy results came back with ibs, no cancer of the poylp and the random samples where unremarkable...........so my dr had a mri done..........i get the results on monday until then i just have to bear it........and take my pain meds......i sure am hoping that something will be done very soon.........

Old 02-29-2004, 05:32 AM   #14
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    What is swollen?

Do you know what is swollen? ... in the 'tummy' area? Is the pancreas normal sized? Swelling of organs/glands is common place with the chemical, 2-butoxyethanol and it is in many, many products you could use - so don't dismiss it until you check into this a little more. Swelling I have heard of
    • knees swelling up to double normal size (Did this Vietnam soldier crawl thru the agent orange sprayed jungle? Jet fuel was mixed with Dioxin to make it adhere to the folage - 2-butoxyethanol may be a jet fuel additive in #s3,4,5,6)
    • enlarged heart (3 of 4 heart chambers double their normal size),
    • enlarged, ulcerated gall bladder,
    • enlarged spleen,
    • enlarged testes, uterus ...
    • enlarged thyroid
    • pancreas?
    and these irregularities:
    • Growth gland upset - gain weight - or abnormal growth
    • Low thyroid - can cause extreme fatigue all by itself
    • abnormal blood sugar levels (high or low)
    • change from 'normal' blood pressure possible
    • Abscess on pancreas
    • Cysts on ovaries
    • adrenals?
    • headaches may be in area of pituitary gland

2-butoxyethanol & diethylene glycol monobutyl ether are in lots and lots of home, hobby, cleaning, painting products ... probably hundreds of products and the harm they do is so serious. Check this website [url]http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/ingredients.htm[/url] and put in the CAS numbers of 111-76-2 and then try 112-34-5 & you will see what I mean

It might be in products and not disclosed, except for the warning signs of 'defatted' skin, & to uses goggles and gloves for repeated use; have ventilation equivalent to outdoors. I suspect the military is at risk for repetitive cleaning of weapons in war time - as the warnings are there; and the solvents are not named.

Look up the symptoms for 'gulf war syndrome' and see if you have more odd symptoms. Those you mention do fit the pattern, but there would have to be more, as well. Do you have all the time tired? ...constant depression? ... difficulty concentrating? ... or any of the other symptoms? (With this chemical fatigue is blood damage to the red blood cells - they are low functioning and a 'RETIC' ratio might indicate that more should be looked into, if it is out of normal range)

Old 03-28-2004, 12:36 PM   #15
    blueskies1224

blueskies1224 HB User

Hi I also have adrenal masses on both of my adrenal glands. It is called pheochromocytoma. It is treatable with surgery. I had to urinate in a bottle for 24 hrs. then when the results came back with high somrthings, they sent me for an MRI. It showed up on the MRI. I hope this helps a little.

Closed Thread