It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• MRSA - can it cause Addison's disease?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2004, 07:38 AM   #1
    SFG

SFG HB User
    Unhappy MRSA - can it cause Addison's disease?

Hello Everyone - my mother contracted MRSA 18 months ago and nearly died. She never got better and six months ago, fatigue set in. Hair falling out, depression, nausia, etc. etc. On Monday she was diagnosed with Addison's. She is 79.

Does anyone have any idea where I might go on the interest to ascertain if MRSA and Addison's are linked?

Thank you one and all for your assistance - you only have one Mum and mine is fading rapidly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2004, 11:39 AM   #2
    Keraly
    Veteran
    (female)

Keraly HB User
    Re: MRSA - can it cause Addison's disease?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SFG
    Hello Everyone - my mother contracted MRSA 18 months ago and nearly died. She never got better and six months ago, fatigue set in. Hair falling out, depression, nausia, etc. etc. On Monday she was diagnosed with Addison's. She is 79.

Does anyone have any idea where I might go on the interest to ascertain if MRSA and Addison's are linked?

Thank you one and all for your assistance - you only have one Mum and mine is fading rapidly.
    I'm sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you, BUT...did want you to know I was suspecting the same thing myself. We have had some strange things going on around our abode as of Sept. Three from our family contracted staph infections, usually not satisfactorily dianosed (sometimes told to be brown recluse, other times empentigo). I got on the internet and researched staph. Saw the articles about MRSA. Some linked it to some of the flu deaths in otherwise healthy children this past Winter. My youngest was suddenly and shockingly (with no family history or prior symptoms) diagnosed after only 3 days of apparent symptoms, with Diabetes, Type I. At the same time, our teen aged son was ill with staph sores and fatigue and weakness. The young one (prior to the diagnosis of diabetes) seemed to get that terrible flu. He had an unrelenting real high fever for three days and began to spit up some blood tinged flem. We had him looked at for that, and he was given an antibiotic for bronchitis. But we still haven't been able to get our teen ager diagnosed, and he seems to have Addison-like symptoms, though the doctors we've spoken to have "poo-pooed" it. I just feel these are too coincidental (both endocrine-like illnesses) to dismiss the correlation with the staph. One sore on my teen's leg I asked to have cultured for staph after the doc said it was a spider bite. It came back positive for Staph aureas! But the doctor claimed he had some way of determining (by looking at the antibiotics the lab sheet recommended to treat such a staph infection of it's kind) that this was NOT MRSA, as I wondered.
    Here is a site I recently stumbled upon which tells of various causes for Addison's Disease, other than auto-immune problems. I found it VERY interesting and disconcerting. It talks about bacterial, mycrobacterial, fungal agents, and viral agents that can cause Addison's. I was wondering if they might also cause diabetes (for my little one, 10 yrs. old). But can find nothing yet. Here is that site. Hope it will help you. Though it doesn't implicate MRSA, it sounds to me as though it should be able to cause this, as it DOES mention Group A Streptococcus. I'm always hearing about the similarities of Strep and Staph. Go to this site, if you wish:

[url]http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/462327_2[/url]

I surely hope your mum will feel better soon. The seventies are a fragile age. I'm sure you are both discouraged and frightened. Best to you both.
    ~ Tracy

Closed Thread