It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Juss been diagnosed.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2004, 05:33 PM   #1
    DrummerGirl

DrummerGirl HB User
    Juss been diagnosed.

Hey all. My names Eryn. I'm 14, in Wisconsin. I've recently (2 weeks ago or so) been diagnosed with Primary Addisons. All this testing is juss, so much fun :P Nah, its not horible, but, the tubes in the arm (think they called them IV's) I could do without. I really cant stand needles. Or even being in a docters office. I get totaly lightheaded. Which, is actually what started my testing and led to my new diagnose :P Really, am not good at all with swallowing pills either. Really thankful mine aren't too big.

Anyway. I know I'll have more questions and prolly will post em, but all thats coming to mind right now is, what do I eat? Like, I've heard alot of talk about salt. Not to shure what the deal is with that yet. And some papers my dad gave me said to have a balanced diet. That mean I actually have to eat vegetables? :P And drinks too, my dads really been telling me to drink alot more. And I have been. But I'm really not too shure how much to be drinking exactly. And is anything better than the next? Like, water over juices or somthin?

Thanks
    God bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2004, 10:04 AM   #2
    pheesao
    (female)

pheesao HB User
    Re: Juss been diagnosed.

Welcome. I have Primary Addison's also. To be perfectly honest, the only thing I ever changed about my diet was my fluid intake and adding salty/sour foods. People with Addison's tend to dehydrate easier than other people. Especially teenagers. Drink lot's of fluids. As an adult, I'm supposed to tell you to make it water. The truth is, anything wet goin down the hatch will keep you hydrated. Be aware of the warning signs of dehydration and do go there. Lot's of IV's involved and a whole lot of other unpleasant things happen then. Eat the foods you like, unless the doctor tells you specifically that you can or can not eat something. Most Addison's people crave sour and salty tastes, so don't panic when you feel like you want to lick the salt cellar or eat a lemon whole. You should tell the doctor about the salt craving so he or she can start you on Florinef,(or something similiar) if necessary. There's a lot of technical stuff that you will learn over time. The important thing now, is to never miss your medication, to keep hydrated, and to take care of any cuts, scratches, cold, or infections right away. You won't heal as well as you used to, or as fast, and you can get infected a lot easier than before. Read a lot of stuff about Addison's. The more you know, the healthier you will stay. I find the British do a lot more research and have a lot better information on Addison's, so you might want to search the UK sites. Good luck, stay heathy and again, welcome to the club. Terri

Old 04-22-2004, 11:47 AM   #3
    DrummerGirl

DrummerGirl HB User
    Re: Juss been diagnosed.

Thanks. Yea, I was pretty dehydrated when I first went to the docter (about my wrist, back then we never expected anything like this) But am doing better now. Been making myself drink alot. I actually cant remember craving to much salt or sour stuff. I was put on florinef (I think anyway :P ) last week. Kinda weird, having to figure out my own doseage intake O_o

I remember reading somwhere that it takes longer to heal from colds and stuff. I know last year I had a cold that lasted prolly over a month. And I think I've come down with a small cold right now. Anything I should do to treat it differently?

My dad gave me the UK's Addisons support website. Havn't looked at too much of it yet tho.

Again, thanks.
    God bless

Closed Thread