It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• morning cortisel test results; please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2004, 05:24 PM   #1
    eleni61

eleni61 HB User
    morning cortisel test results; please help

Hello ,

The doctor gave me a morning cortisel test. This is the result. 9 range(8-24)
    She said this was a normal range; but I asked her about taking the Stims test and she authorized it. I was wondering; does this look low enough to cause symptoms? i can't seem to tolerate any thyroid meds; they make me hyper. Yet without them I am hypo. I don't know what else to think.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2004, 05:18 AM   #2
    eleni61

eleni61 HB User
    Re: morning cortisel test results; please help

She isn't an endo; just a DO. I am seeing her cause I can't afford to go to Dr. sultan until January when I get new insurance. She dosen't know anything but is willing to give me tests that I request. I doubt she will prescribe any cortisol; so I will have to take something myself. I also ordered a DHEA Test myself over the internet. I need to start taking the thryoid meds soon as I can barely function. Will the STIM test show any more that the other test? Is there anything I can take over the counter that will help?
    Thanks.
    Ellen

Old 09-14-2004, 05:04 PM   #3
    eleni61

eleni61 HB User

Thanks alot. You have been more helpful than the Doctor.
    I still plan to go back to doctor Sultan in January. That's when my new insurance kicks in.
    Ellen

Old 09-24-2004, 04:18 PM   #4
    Gail M.

Gail M. HB User

I started seeing an Endocrinologist because my blood sugar was dropping real low every morning between breakfast and lunch. She did a 5 hour glucose tolerance test and found at the 3rd hour my blood sugar dropped real low. Then she tested my cortisol. I tested at 6. She said that was very low, that it should be highest in the morning. I was put on hydrocortisone and am now being weaned off over a few weeks. Then after being off it for a week my cortisol level will be tested again. I felt horrible when I first when to her. I was so tired and just didn't feel well. I am real sensitive to meds so she had me take a half pill in the morning, a half pill in the afternoon and a quarter in the evening. At first I was real jittery and couldn't sleep. (I wasn't sleeping well with the low cortisol either). I started feeling better with the meds, but I don't think I could just take something on my own. Good luck to you and hope you feel better soon.

Old 09-25-2004, 05:13 AM   #5
    eleni61

eleni61 HB User

Thank you. Actually I have been feeling better since I stopped the thyroid meds. I have trouble tolerating any medication so I know how you feel. I also have Hypoglycemia.

Closed Thread