It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• low cortisol levels and weight gain??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2004, 02:47 PM   #1
    KBT's mom

KBT's mom HB User
    Question low cortisol levels and weight gain??

I don't know a lot about the adrenals and the cortisol levles, but from my reading I get the impression that someone that has low cortisol levles would be losing weight-not gaining it. Is this right? I have posted on here before about my daughter's low cortisol levels but weight gain has been a problem for her. She has started some supplements and I am now nervous that it might make her gain more weight and thats not what we want to happen. She does also have some thyroid problems (I assumed that was the cause of the weight problem). Any advice??
    Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 03:35 PM   #2
    TAEMom

TAEMom HB User
    Re: low cortisol levels and weight gain??

You are absolutely right that weight loss seems to come with low cortisol. To be honest, I have never come across anyone that has gained weight before treatment with replacement steroids. Instead, most people seem to lose *a lot* of weight before diagnosis. My 7 yr. old son looked like a skeleton, weighing in at only 37lbs.

I am not sure what would happen to one's weight if low cortisol comes along with hypothyroid though. I know that untreated hypothyroid patients tend to gain weight, so I don't know whether that would cancel out the effects from the low cortisol. There are people on this board with both problems though, so hopefully they can be of more help. Jill

Closed Thread