It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• endocrine symptoms but blood tests normal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2005, 05:22 PM   #1
    sorrel2
    (female)

sorrel2 HB User
    endocrine symptoms but blood tests normal

Maybe someone can shed some light on this situation, as I am totally at a loss. For about 6 months I have had vague, gradually worsening symptoms, primarily loss of appetite and feeling cold. These both got so extreme that I actually stopped eating entirely for a couple of weeks, and I almost can't stand being outdoors at all because I can't deal with the cold. I used to spend practically all my time outdoors.

More recently I have started feeling lightheaded, nauseous, uncomfortably full (even when i haven't eaten or drunk liquids), and have developed a swollen face and abdomen. My skin has changed color (looks yellow to me, although some other people commented that I looked like I had a tan...also palm creases, scars and some other areas are a dark purple.) I've had diarrhea on and off for a few weeks.

The strangest thing is that even though I am barely eating, and have not eaten anywhere near a normal amount for months, I have gained weight. Even when I stopped eating for 2+ weeks, I did not lose weight.

I have always been kind of an "exercise fanatic," and I am still exercising, although not nearly so much now. My endurance is really bad now and exertion makes me nauseous.

I am craving salt, which is odd for me because usually I can't stand salty stuff. I am not eating salt, though, because I am worried it will make the swelling/weight gain/fluid retention thing worse.

Also, I have not menstruated for 4 years. I was originally told this was from exercising a lot.

I just had a bunch of blood tests (TSH, LH, FSH, electroolytes, CBC, liver enzymes) and everything was totally normal. Now my doctor is telling me it must be psychological, which I just don't buy. I am actually starting to think they mixed my blood up with someone else's. Any ideas? I know this doesn't fit with typical Addison's, but it definitely seems endocrine to me so I figured I'd post it here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2005, 02:27 PM   #2
    sorrel2
    (female)

sorrel2 HB User
    Re: endocrine symptoms but blood tests normal

Thanks for your quick reply. As soon as I get the test results, I'll post them. I have another appointment next week, so I will get the test results then. This is not an endo, just a GP, so I'll definitely look around for an endo.

In another post of yours you mentioned a medical textbook on endocrinology that you recommended. I can't find that post, so could you please re-post the author's name? Thanks.

Old 02-20-2005, 05:30 PM   #3
    sorrel2
    (female)

sorrel2 HB User

Thanks for the book list; that's very helpful!

Another symptom-related question. In the last few days I started having severe (drenching) night sweats. This is particularly strange since I always go to bed feeling very cold, and plus, I never sweat during waking hours. Literally never, even when I'm running or working out. Anyway, could this be related? It also seems endocrine. I'm 25, so it isn't menopause.

Old 02-25-2005, 05:15 PM   #4
    sorrel2
    (female)

sorrel2 HB User

Blood test results:

sodium 143 (133-145)
    potassium 4.4 (3.3-5.1)
    chloride 102 (96-108)

SGOT 36 (0-37)
    SGPT 41 (0-40)

prolactin 6.28 (3.4 - 24.1)
    TSH 1.84 (0.27 - 4.2)
    LH 2.4 (don't know what to make of this, since normal range depends of what part of the menstrual cycle you're in, and I haven't had a period in 4 years)

There were other tests that are probably not relevant and that seemed totally normal, except that in the CBC/differential, eosinophils were a little high (eosinophils = 6.8% where normal is 0-7.2%, and "eosinophil absolute" = 0.51, where normal is 0.01 - 0.50)

I don't know what impact diet has on electrolyte levels, but I was surprised that sodium and chloride were on the high side because I eat a totally unprocessed vegan diet, mostly raw fruits and vegetables, very skewed in favor of a high potassium-to-sodium ratio.

Old 04-06-2005, 06:13 PM   #5
    easydoesit
    (male)

easydoesit HB User

Go to an ENDO. Have him do a ACTH Stimulation Test. This is the most specific test for diagnosing Addison's disease - which your symptoms point to.

Closed Thread