It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Help! A mini-crisis??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2005, 11:10 AM   #1
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
    Question Help! A mini-crisis??

As some of you know, I'm quite sure that I have adrenal insufficiency. I even have the skin darkening, at least lately, and yesterday I woke up with pains where my adrenals would be. I just made appointments to see doctors as I JUST got health insurance. Anyway, yesterday I had a busy day. I woke up in a great mood, feeling energetic and alive and ready to go. I had a doctor's appointment I had to go to (not adrenal related) and that stressed me out a little bit. I have some social anxiety due to everything that has happened to me, because I HAVE passed out numerous times in public and have had severe low blood sugar episoes, and I do have a bit of a fear that this will happen again. Anyway, so I had some anxiety at the doctor's office, which bothered me, because usually when I get ANY anxiety whatsoever, I can't function well for the rest of the day and am exhausted and feel extremely ill. So the doctor's appointment went okay, and I was actually quite keyed up and excitable from the anxiety. When I got home, I decided to go to the mall. At this point, I was hyperactive, yet with no anxious feelings, and felt as if I couldn't stop moving. Almost manic, like in a bipolar state. So, I go to the mall, and I feel like I'm so incredibly shaky and so hyper that I felt kind of out of control. I kept telling myself that it was probably anxiety, I brushed it off and continued shopping. A half an hour went by and I started to feel really icky. I felt confused, disoriented, weak, tired, slightly innerly trembly, spacy, and altogether sick. I also started to feel quite nauseous. Again, I figured that it was the toll the anxiety took on my body, and tried to ignore it. It only worsened, though. I was seeing "trails" when I moved my hand, the lights were blurry, and I felt like I couldn't see well, and I felt even more confused, so I drove home. Driving home I barely had any coordination. Since last night, I have had extreme confusion, a feeling like my head is floating way above my body, worsening of my dark circles and an increase in the color of my face (tan), adrenal pain, irritability, disoriented, a pressurized feeling in my forehead, and altogether really sick and really strange. I also have loss of appetite and some nausea. I thought all of what was going on last night was anxiety, but I have been struggling (and controlling successfully) my anxiety for years, and it doesn't feel like anxiety at all, and I know myself better than that. Something else is going on. Does this sound like it has something to do with my adrenals? Did the stress bring on a mini-crisis?
    Thanks,
    Katalina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
    sadie-mae
    Inactive
    (female)

sadie-mae HB User
    Re: Help! A mini-crisis??

Hi Katalina,

What you describe sounds so much like what happens to me if I do too much. And, just like you, emotional stuff sets me off more than physical sometimes. I think going to the doctor's isn't a big deal but then once I'm there I can feel myself getting amped up and upset. I also tend to get hyperactive, talk fast and feel like I can't sit still. Maybe it is adrenaline kicking in where cortisol is lacking. And then, no matter how I think I can handle it all...I crash. I also get the adrenal pain you describe-it is awful sometimes and usually just on the left side. I get dizzy, weak, disoriented and feel like time is moving in slow motion. It is somehow reassuring to know we are not alone in what we feel.

I am not diagnosed yet, either, so I am of little help to you, except to say I understand and empathize. I don't appear to have electrolyte problems, so I have never needed a visit to the hospital. As awful as I feel, I know rest and gutting it out works for me. But for so many-that isn't enough. Please listen to your body and do what it tells you to do!

Now that you have insurance, you will have to decide about a trip to the emergency room, letting them know you are supposed to be evaluated for Addison's soon. They should run electrolytes and baseline cortisol levels on you at the least and offer IV hydration to help you out. Who knows, maybe they would even diagnose you! If they don't do proper testing (like an ACTH stimulation test) make sure if they supplement you with steroids that wont interfere with testing in the future. That would include hydrocortisone (cortef)-which is very short acting or dexamethasone-which can still suppress your cortisol function but doesn't cross react with the blood tests for cortisol levels.

If you are really feeling sick...you should go to the ER. I know that is a tough call to make...do you have any local family or friends who could help you to decide? In the meantime, try to drink as much water or fluids as you can keep down. Some even recommend a teaspoonful of salt to help with electrolyte issues. (That would make me nauseous for sure!!)

I am so happy for you that you have insurance...because you really need it! Good Luck and let us know how you are and how your doctor visits go.
    Sadie

Old 03-05-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
    Re: Help! A mini-crisis??

sadie-mae,

I'm so glad someone has experienced something similar. It really does seem like emotional stress sets me off quite often. And it's a cycle, too, because I'll be stressed, then I'll get sick, and then I'll get even more stressed and worried because I'm sick, and so on. I sometimes get "adrenaline rushes", or at least that's what it feels like, and my heart will race and I'll get tremors and nauseous, and that's often followed by extreme fatigue. I can't believe you said that you feel like time is moving in slow motion. That's a pefect way to describe it, and it frightens me. I'm 20 and still live at home, and luckily, both of my parents are really supportive when it comes to my health problems, and allow me to rest (and complain! ) and often calm me down. I feel a LITTLE better than last night and earlier today, but not much. I don't feel as confused and disoriented, but definitely dizzy, floaty, and rather dark and depressed. I still feel like my head is in the clouds. I actually just got my insurance cards in the mail today, and if I'm not significantly better my tonight, I might just go to the ER. I've also started developing harder "inner tremors." Thank you for writing and letting me know I'm not alone in this, and I'll keep you updated on what's going on. Once again, thanks for the support.
    ~Katalina

Closed Thread