It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• My dad has Addison's and is in the hospital...can someone help with my questions??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2005, 08:24 PM   #1
    thenique
    (female)

thenique HB User
    My dad has Addison's and is in the hospital...can someone help with my questions??

My dad has Addison's and is vomiting all the time. He went into the ER on Friday night walking sideways, not seeing well, and not really knowing anyone. He has water on the brain and has to have surgery on Wednesday.

IS THIS NORMAL???

Someone said that his vomiting all the time means he is in the final stages of the disease? Is that true? What does "final stages" mean? How long does he have?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

~Thanks~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 11:07 PM   #2
    sadie-mae
    Inactive
    (female)

sadie-mae HB User
    Re: My dad has Addison's and is in the hospital...can someone help with my questions??

Wow! How incredibly frightening for you and your family to see your father so sick. I hope that they are successsfully stabilizing him and he is feeling better.

If he has brain swelling (is that what you mean by water on the brain?) it could be from severe electrolyte abnormalities-probably very low sodium is causing the swelling. Potassium levels can also become very high. (Both are very serious issues). These problems are caused by a lack of a hormone called aldosterone. Aldosterone works to keep your electrolytes and water balance normal. If the adrenal glands have failed-they usually also stop making this hormone.

Sometimes when people are diagnosed with Addison's, they are placed on steroid but no one addresses the aldosterone issue so their electrolyte problems continue to make them sick (vomiting would be very common if this is the issue). Do you know what drugs your father was taking when he got sick? Florinef is the name of the drug that acts like aldosterone. Cortef, hydrocortisone, prednisone and dexamethasone are all names of different possible steroid replacement drugs he could take.

It could be that he is vomiting for other reasons unrelated to Addison's (like the flu) and isn't able to keep his medicines down long enough for them to absorb-that will just exacerbate things also.

I hope that his doctors are good communicators and can help figure out what is wrong with your father so he will feel better soon. I am so sorry for the horrible time you are all having right now. You'll get thru this, I know you will and there will be healthier days ahead.

Take care,
    Sadie

Old 03-14-2005, 11:12 PM   #3
    sadie-mae
    Inactive
    (female)

sadie-mae HB User
    Re: My dad has Addison's and is in the hospital...can someone help with my questions??

By the way--Addison's is not a considered fatal disease if treated with the appropriate medications. I can tell he is very sick right now because of the brain swelling but if they can stabilize him (and it sure sounds like they are working hard to) then he should recover and be fine as long as he takes his medicines. The "final stages" in my interpretation, is when his adrenal glands just can't do anything anymore. Some people have some adrenal function left in the earlier stages. He is getting aggressive medical attention now and that is exactly what he needs to get better.

My heart goes out to you and you will be in my thoughts,
    Sadie

Old 03-16-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
    thenique
    (female)

thenique HB User

Thank you so much for taking time to reply. He has surger tomorrow morning to have a shunt placed inside him. They say there is a 50/50 chance of survival and there is a chance that the will be completely fine or something could be affected, like his sight or use of a limb or anything really. THere is also a chance he will be in a vegetable stage inwhich we will need to feed him and do everything else. We are hoping for the best. Thanks again!

Old 03-19-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
    thenique
    (female)

thenique HB User

I just wanted to let you know that my dad made it through surgey just fine. He was able to call me on his own. Thanks again for your support. Greatly appreciated!

Old 03-19-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
    sadie-mae
    Inactive
    (female)

sadie-mae HB User

Thank God,

I have been thinking about you and hping things were okay. It is so wonderful that you let us know your Dad is going to be okay!! I really hope he has a smooth recovery and that they can help get him set with his medicines so he never has to experience something this serious again!

Take care and good health!
    sadie

Old 03-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #7
    heb12
    (female)

heb12 HB User

So glad to hear he's okay! What a scary experience for you and your family. I wish your Dad all the best for a speedy recovery! Same as above...thanks for letting us know!
    HB

Closed Thread