It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Addisons diease and Weight Loss Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
    seawynd
    (female)

seawynd HB User
    Smile Addisons diease and Weight Loss Surgery

Hi I am New to the List i have had addisons now for 1 1/2 but probably at least 10 years before that. I am on 20 mgs of cortef a day. I have gained alot of weight due to having addisons diease and am in the planning stages of having weight loss surgery . What i was wondering if anybody has had the surgery and have addisons diease . Thanks for all your help.

Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 09:55 AM   #2
    tdot
    (female)

tdot HB User
    Re: Addisons diease and Weight Loss Surgery

Hi Kathy,

I was diagnosed with primary Addison's disease 5 years ago at the age of 20. Once diagnosed, my endo put me on 30 mg of Cortef/day. I gained ~70 lbs in about 9 months! After being big for about another 9 months I decided that I'd had enough. I was eating the same, excersicing the same, but the weight wouldn't budge. I slowly (with the watchful eye of my endo) reduced my Cortef to 10 mg/day. I have been on 10 mg for about 3.5 years now with no problems, crises etc. I do sometimes take an extra 5 mg if I'm going to be doing strenuous excersise (example: I did a triathlon last fall and took extra Cortef). As soon as I reduced my Cortef to 10 mg, I lost of the weight. With eating healthy, being active (I play and coach soccer, volleyball in the summer and work out in the winter) and a healthy outlook on life, I have been able to maintain my weight very easily. I never diet and though I eat healthy, eat a lot of food. I know I am only 25 and have never had kids, but I trully believe that if I try my weight will always be in a good range.

Have you asked your endo about reducing your Cortef? Do you eat healthy and are you active? These are questions you should ask yourself before having surgery. I'm sure you already know this as I know the surgeons who do these surgeries don't take candidates who have not tried to lose weight with diet and exercise.

Good luck in your ventures.

Last edited by tdot; 06-14-2005 at 10:01 AM.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
    ruffneck
    (male)

ruffneck HB User

I'm new to the board, but not Addisons. I was diagnosed when I was 10 years old. I was diagnosed with Addisons, ALD, AMN, and X-ALD. I don't know if this will help you. After I was diagnosed I was given the option to go to Kennedy Krieger Institute for an experiment. The drug was Lorenzo's Oil. I too was gaining weight after being on cortef but as soon as I was on Lorenzo's Oil it all went away. Take care.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:29 PM   #4
    bagua
    (male)

bagua HB User

I too have had Addisson's for 10 years diagnosed, probably for years prior.

I am 6'5" and weigh 182 NOW, when I took what the first (hospital doc,) prescribed I gained massive weight, puffy weight, and went up to 225lbs!!
    I found a good endo, who explained that many endos just go with what the book says....HE on the other hand believes that it is up to the patient to adjust the doses down until an appropriate level is found.

My dosage is 5mg of prednisone, ans as with 'tdot' I adjust to 7.5 or 10mg when I am going to do a long duration endurance sport (sparring, tennis, mountain biking, ocean swimming).

I have never heard of what 'ruffneck' advises taking.....if there is an alt. med. for addisson's I would like to know more though........

Hope this helps you,

bagua

Old 08-24-2005, 12:27 PM   #5
    thomas3000
    Inactive
    (male)

thomas3000 HB User

I think all of you with Addison's need a second opinion. Have you ever found out WHY you have it? Addison's has cause/causes. Food intolerances/allergies/nutrient deficiencies/malabsorption/yeast overgrowth/parasitic infections and so on. Just taking a drug is certainly not the answer. Good glycemic control/diet, removing chronic stressors on the body, mostly hidden stressors like unseen infections. Sometimes changing fillings can help tremendously since you might have underlying infections. There's lots that can be done here...

Old 08-24-2005, 09:44 PM   #6
    ruffneck
    (male)

ruffneck HB User

Lorenzo's Oil is now being used to test carriers of the disease as well. The tests are at John Hopkins in Baltimore. Basically what Lorenzo's Oil does is breaks down the VLCFA's (very long chain fatty acids) in your brain. The only problem with it is you are put on a very low saturated fat diet and you put the oil on everything. I don't know if it's changed since I was on it back in 1991. You could always ask your doctor about it.

Closed Thread