It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Prolactin Test ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2005, 08:54 PM   #1
    van7771
    (male)

van7771 HB User
    Prolactin Test ?

I just got the following tests back, help me understand what they say.

Prolactin: 37.2 (2.0-18)

Any advice would help, l have also had problems with high ACTH tests and Aldosterone.

VAN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2005, 11:27 PM   #2
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
    Re: Prolactin Test ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by van7771
    I just got the following tests back, help me understand what they say.

Prolactin: 37.2 (2.0-18)

Any advice would help, l have also had problems with high ACTH tests and Aldosterone.

VAN
    Slightly elevated prolactin may be a sign of a pitutiary tumor which cuts off the blood supply to the pituitary and slowly destroys it. You should have an MRI done asap to determine the nature of your situation. Normally these tumors are not cancerous and are slow growing however they are in a very vital location and can cause many problems.

Old 08-27-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
    tea'
    (female)

tea' HB User
    Smile Re: Prolactin Test ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by orion
    Slightly elevated prolactin may be a sign of a pitutiary tumor which cuts off the blood supply to the pituitary and slowly destroys it. You should have an MRI done asap to determine the nature of your situation. Normally these tumors are not cancerous and are slow growing however they are in a very vital location and can cause many problems.

Hi I went to the doctor having infection in sinuses, stomach gotten bigger and have headaches. Prolactin showed 33 . Doctor sending me for mri with injection. Is there cause for alarm, he really scared me because this has been going on for 3 years. Also, had widsom tooth pulled yeaqrs ago, damage done to nerves wondering if mediation taken to sedate the nerves from acting up might be the reason i have high blood pressure and that number in porlactin. Trying to stay postive, Tea'.

Old 08-28-2005, 07:22 PM   #4
    van7771
    (male)

van7771 HB User

Thanks for your reply, let me know what your doctor finds, l have done alot of reading and talked with several doctors and they day that unless your prolactin levels are above 200 you dont have a tumor. I would imagine that your doctor is doing an MRI of the brain to see if you have a pituitary tumor. I had an MRI of my Pituitary for that same reason and it came back normal. I would still like to know why my Prolactin is still elevated. LEt me konw what happens.
    VAN

Old 08-29-2005, 01:44 PM   #5
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by van7771
    Thanks for your reply, let me know what your doctor finds, l have done alot of reading and talked with several doctors and they day that unless your prolactin levels are above 200 you dont have a tumor.
    Actually my prolactin level was never above 50 but I still had a 3cm tumor. Over 200 simply says you have a prolactin producing tumor. But in the majority of cases these tumors don't produce prolactin they simply cut off the blood supply to the pituitary causing the prolactin levels to become slightly elevated.

In a man, anything over 15 is definitely suspicious, and over 30 is almost certaintly a tumor.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tea'
    Is there cause for alarm, he really scared me because this has been going on for 3 years. Also, had widsom tooth pulled yeaqrs ago, damage done to nerves wondering if mediation taken to sedate the nerves from acting up might be the reason i have high blood pressure and that number in porlactin. Trying to stay postive, Tea'.
    Yes it is serious, potentially very serious. Yes several medications can cause elevated prolactin. Use the Net to look up your drugs and see if they affect prolactin. Normally antidepressants do it.

Stay positive, because these things can be fixed up pretty well. If you have a tumor please find the Pituitary Network because those people know the right doctors and the right things to do.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:13 PM   #7
    van7771
    (male)

van7771 HB User

Orion:

Where was your tumor found, l assume it was in the Pituitary.
    Did you have an MRI, that showed the tumor.
    What were your symptoms and how did they fix your problem.
    This is my point precisely, l have levels of 37.2 and have had two endos say dont worry about it there is no way you can have a tumor unless its above 200. What do you have to do to get some attention with Doctors. I had an MRI and it came back normal, could there still be a tumor in the Pituitary?

VAN

Closed Thread