It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• low cortisol (saliva) - Addison's or Adrenal Fatigue?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
    Elektrykeye
    (female)

Elektrykeye HB User
    Question low cortisol (saliva) - Addison's or Adrenal Fatigue?

I recently had my adrenals tested (saliva) and the results indicated low levels of cortisol and borderline DHEA level. My question is basically how low is too low? I mean, at what point do they begin to suspect Addison's as opposed to Adrenal Fatigue? Here are the actual results:

ASI (cortisol):
    AM: 8 depressed (13-24 normal)
    Noon: 3 depressed (5-10 normal)
    PM: 1 depressed (3-8 normal)
    Midnight: <1 depressed (1-4 normal)
    cortisol burden: 13 depressed (23-42 normal)

DHEA pooled value: 3 borderline (3-10 normal)
    Insulin fasting: <3 normal (3-12 normal)
    Insulinpost-prandial: <3 depressed (5-20 optimal)
    Progesterone: 81 normal (22-100 optimal)
    Total salivary SIgA: <5 depressed (25-60 normal)

I also recently had bloodwork done (testing other hormones... not adrenal function). Estradiol level came back extremely low and testosterone level was somewhat low. Thyroid function, FSH, etc. were ok.

What do you think about the saliva test results? They scare me and at the same time, they make me wonder if the test is really accurate. I have a lot of the symptoms of addison's, but no noticable weight loss, certainly no loss of appetite (I pig out on sweets and salty foods), and I haven't noticed any weird brown spots. Still, I have felt like I was very ill and haven't been able to physically function very well in a while.

Would Addison's levels be much lower than mine? I have spent hours searching and found nothing on the internet about specific saliva cortisol levels that indicate Addison's... maybe someone here can help me with this?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 06:37 PM   #2
    NJO
    (female)

NJO HB User
    Re: low cortisol (saliva) - Addison's or Adrenal Fatigue?

There are other tests that will be more definative for AD. Have you discussed this with your doctor? But it is imperative that these tests be done before any steroid treatment is started or you will always be questioned because testing while on steroids is nearly impossible, not impossible but more complicate.

Closed Thread