It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Adrenal fatigue may actually be secondary AD

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2005, 07:39 AM   #1
    mindy59
    (female)

mindy59 HB User
    Adrenal fatigue may actually be secondary AD

I Was just diagnosed, finally, with secondary Addisons.
    My ACTH has been normal in the past two tests and the new endo told me this was very normal for secondary AD. He said he rarely sees secondary patients wtih low ACTH stim test coritisol levels.
    He then checked blood for pituitary hormones and found my LH and FSH to be normal. Because I have had a hysterectomy these should have been high.
    That is how he came to the conclusion that the problem was the pituitary, not the adrenals, thus Secondary Addisons.
    Guess what I'm saying is even if the ACTH comes back normal a person could very well have secondary instead of adrenal fatigue.
    After suffering through adrenal crisis and coming near death I am learning
    that this is no condition to be playing around with so I would be very cautious of an adrenal fatigue diagnosis.
    I did try the dried bovine adrenals, licorice root, and massive amounts of vitamins before getting a diagnosis. They helped, but I was not able to be very active. I could barely walk around. Essentially, they kept me alive.
    I am hoping someday to get back to trying a natural treatment again, but for now, after being sick for a year, feel safer on the cortef.
    I have a question, how long can you take cortef before it starts to affect the adrenals?

mindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 08:47 AM   #2
    robinhy
    (female)

robinhy HB User
    Re: Adrenal fatigue may actually be secondary AD

Mindy, I'm hardly a pro at this stuff but I always thought that if you kept you dose below 30 mg/day or 40 mg/day tops you adrenals are surpressed but can easily recover if you stop the meds. However, I'm curious as well to see what the pros say.
    Robin

Closed Thread