It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• thyroid adrenal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2006, 07:51 AM   #16
    ImTheLucky1
    (female)

ImTheLucky1 HB User
    Re: thyroid adrenal?

OK guys... At this point I'm seeing a neurologist for my symptoms (see "Questions" thread). So I am assuming I really need to be seeing my endo instead, right? Well, if the EEG and MRI are OK.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #17
    sonyamom
    (female)

sonyamom HB User
    Unhappy Re: thyroid adrenal?

I have Addisons Disease (diagnosed by having a full blown crisis that put me in a coma) and I was treated for Graves disease 20 years ago, which means I now have low thyroid. Both of mine were autoimmune and I take 50mcg of synthroid, 30 mg of cortef, 1 florinef tab a day. This is just a friendly warning for all of you out there to be sure and get lots of calcium, take actonel or fosamax if they put you on it and be sure to follow directions by your endocrinologist as close as possible. We are still having a hard time regulating my thyroid even though they gave me radioactive iodine 20 years ago to kill it out. It just slowed it down and I still can't take medicines like cold medicines or it causes heart palpitations. I have osteopenia and I am typing with two broken bones in my left arm due to the steroids we take. I am by no means saying I am a pro, but if you have doubts, always ask to be taken to an endocrinologist because they understand these interactions best of all. Good luck and if you have any questions please write me. I will try to help any way I can. This stuff is NO FUN!

Old 03-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #18
    Divermon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Divermon HB User

Thanks for your comments Van, I'll follow those tests, and see what the Endo runs. I often order my own tests as well, so I can augment if need be (unless it a reactionary test, of course).

When I was looking at your thyroid post a couple of weeks back, I had searched on you, and read a number of your previous posts. You sure have something going on there, and have been through a lot. I hope you find some answers too.

I went to my GP, who is usually hard to get in to see, and saw his Nurse Practitioner instead. I wanted to see if it was a good idea to try some Cortef for a couple of weeks, and see how I did. Unfortunately, she knew nothing about that, or thyroid (is a TSH-worshiper), and just passed me on to the Endo..... 3 month waiting time. I have an excellent endo though, so... guess I'll just suffer for another 1/4 year.

I was considering cautiously trying something mild, just as an experiment - not sure I want to do that. Are these adrenal extracts you mention, available from common sources (health food stores)? And what ingredient do you look for that makes one brand Cortisol-increasing, versus just a "support" supplement?

Sonya - Are you saying that the Cortef/Florinef can cause osteo? Ghee, that sounds fun. My wife is on Actonel. Judging by her reaction, I'd be in trouble taking that stuff. Sorry about your bones - both in general, and specifically to the two in mention.

Old 03-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #19
    Divermon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Divermon HB User

Karen - I'm going to start a thread in the Thyroid forum on this heat thing - hope you drop by.

Lucky - I'm going to go over to your "Questions" thread.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:33 AM   #20
    ImTheLucky1
    (female)

ImTheLucky1 HB User

Thanks Divermom. I've got a lot going on. I'm also posting in the Lyme Disease board and getting some information. Any thing you have to offer is helpful.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:39 AM   #21
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

i hope you can help me im on 25 of levothyroxine excuse me im from england !! and she wants me to get up to 50 wich will take time! as i get bad palps from them,
    iv had this for about 3 years tshof 8... and the doc didnt tell me i was that for 3 years! as he said it was boderline nno warning for the future nothing! anyway im very low on iron and i cant seem to make it up and now they said im low cortisol! ive listened to your boards but i dont make any of it.
    does this mean i could have addisons! and if so is it treatable without your bones crumbling! im new to this im seeing an endo in 4 weeks but id like some info if anyone can help me im proper lost in this! also my periods are v.heavy and she said my protien is high lots of love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xx i.s.h.t. !!!!

Closed Thread