It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Getting Drunk

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
    bond465
    (male)

bond465 HB User
    Getting Drunk

I have addisons disease and I heard that if I get drunk, I could go into a coma etc. But i was wondering if anyone can confirm if I can get drunk.

I know i can have a glass of wine here or there but can i get drunk?
    Is there a certain type of alcohol I would need to drink to get drunk?

thanks.
    kyle

The Following User Says Thank You to bond465 For This Useful Post:
    bhopal (07-24-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
    k_c_lady
    (female)

k_c_lady HB User
    Re: Getting Drunk

Kyle,

Hello, I also have Addison's. Last nov. I had way too many(like 5 shots & 4 beer) drinks & ended up in the hospital the next day. I talked to both my doc's (endo & family) and they both said that I could drink, but I had too make sure that I drank plenty of fluids before had. I didn't do that. I don't know about going into a coma. Are to wanting to drink? Just wondering? I don't drink more that two now. I just hate going to the ER & having them keep me for a few days. Good Luck! Kiesha

Old 04-25-2006, 05:39 AM   #3
    graphicalg
    (male)

graphicalg HB User

been there done that, Drinking alot (enough to get drunk) is a bad bad idea, it will seriously lower BP make you faint, weak basically make your body crappy. dont do it unless you love having to be great at controlling crisis like symptoms yourself or enjoy hospitals.

You can go into a coma but that is extreme, usually it will be like a crisis I>E Hospital for a few days with ER admittance for instant hydration.

previous poster is correct, xdrink plenty of regular fluids and know your limits, a beer or two is fine and you dont hav eto stop enjoying yourself.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
    ruffneck
    (male)

ruffneck HB User

As I was told, I am not to drink more than two drinks a night. I was told that at a young age. I was 10 when I was diagnosed and started getting really depressed around 13 and started drinking and using marijuana, that was 13 years ago. You should really watch what you do and don't do it too much or you could go into either a coma or adrenal crisis. Beer has a good amount of sodium in it, it's better if you do drink that you have more natural types of liquor. Now I'm not telling you to go out and drink but just be safe. Take care.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:57 AM   #5
    Daniel93
    (male)

Daniel93 HB User

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, so excuse me if I'm a bit out of the loop. I have yet to be diagnosed (officially) with Addison's but I have several of the classic symptoms.

I have had several experiences with alcohol since Halloween of last year that really scared me (before I knew about Addison's). I had one and a half mixed drinks and I started to feel *very* light-headed and very nauseated. I sat down and started to sweat profusely. I had NEVER had this reaction to alcohol before. All day the next day, my stomach was really upset. I had pretty bad nausea (no vomiting). Then, I had one beer several weeks later and the exact same thing happened! In one last attempt, I had 1/4 of a beer and it happened, just to a lesser extent! I couldn't believe it!

Has anyone else experienced this? Or is this something outside of Addison's?

Thanks!

Daniel

Old 05-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
    TheShrewMC
    (female)

TheShrewMC HB User

I can have max of 2 drinks a night and not end up in the hospital. I have never had a major crisis from drinking I just end up all crappy and out of whack the next day. My rule is for every drink two glasses of water and that seems to work plus you want to make sure you have a good base in your stomach.-Katie

Closed Thread