It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• what's a addrenal crisis like?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
    KFXrider88
    (male)

KFXrider88 HB User
    what's a addrenal crisis like?

hey, i was wondering if someone here can explain to me what a addrenal crisis is like? What it feels like to go through one. i'm pretty sure I have a addrenal problem and I think I may have been through addrenal crissis' before and would be really interested in knowing what a confirmed addrenal crisis feels like. thanks for any info!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
    kjos
    (female)

kjos HB User
    Re: what's a addrenal crisis like?

ive had addisons for 13 years and so i take two "cortisones" to help maintain adrenal function . what i call an adrenal crisis is when my electrolytes go out of the normal range , which they used to do quite often . to me it feels like my veins are slowly filliing with lead. its hard to breathe and pretty painful. its also paralyzing , because of the high potassium. it ususally happens because i dont have enough cortisone in my system ... the early warning signs 2 look for are dark patches in the corners of your mouth and on your elbows ... tiredness and weakness. and mood swings.. i hope this helped u out and if not what kind of adrenal crisis do u mean.. take care

Old 06-07-2006, 04:42 AM   #3
    KFXrider88
    (male)

KFXrider88 HB User

Hey Kjos, thanks for replying. What I thought was a addrenal crisis was when I black out. If I get a sudden shock or severe pain, about 10 seconds after that I get really really nautious and then I get tunnel vision, and my ears start ringing so bad I can't hear anything, and If I don't sit down right when this begins, I'll completely collapse if I try to keep moving. Once I sit down for a few minutes, It'll clear up. I thought this may have been what a addrenal crisis was. Iv'e got low normal cortisol levels, and I have the symptoms of low addrenals, so I was trying to figure out what's going on

Old 06-07-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
    WandaB
    Inactive

WandaB HB User

This may help you a bit. Copied from another site.

Symptoms
    The symptoms of adrenal insufficiency usually begin gradually. Chronic, worsening fatigue and muscle weakness, loss of appetite, and weight loss are characteristic of the disease. Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea occur in about 50 percent of cases. Blood pressure is low and falls further when standing, causing dizziness or fainting. Skin changes also are common in Addison's disease, with areas of hyperpigmentation, or dark tanning, covering exposed and nonexposed parts of the body. This darkening of the skin is most visible on scars; skin folds; pressure points such as the elbows, knees, knuckles, and toes; lips; and mucous membranes.

Addison's disease can cause irritability and depression. Because of salt loss, a craving for salty foods also is common. Hypoglycemia, or low blood glucose, is more severe in children than in adults. In women, menstrual periods may become irregular or stop.

Because the symptoms progress slowly, they are usually ignored until a stressful event like an illness or an accident causes them to become worse. This is called an addisonian crisis, or acute adrenal insufficiency. In most cases, symptoms are severe enough that patients seek medical treatment before a crisis occurs. However, in about 25 percent of patients, symptoms first appear during an addisonian crisis.

Symptoms of an addisonian crisis include sudden penetrating pain in the lower back, abdomen, or legs; severe vomiting and diarrhea, followed by dehydration; low blood pressure; and loss of consciousness. Left untreated, an addisonian crisis can be fatal.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
    fernan1
    (male)

fernan1 HB User

i experienced two addison crisis, the first one i experienced severe pain on my abdomen and was nauseated. the second one was the gradual type in that i lost energy and was passing out everytime i stood up. the lost of energy was quite noticeable. it took everything i could muster just to perform simple everyday tasks, for example walking from my bed to any where in the house became a "do i really want to go there" type of scenario. the weakness i felt was nothing like i have ever felt before.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #6
    KFXrider88
    (male)

KFXrider88 HB User

Hey, thanks for all the replys! I really appreciate it. did any of you experience the tunnel vission and ringing ears? I'm assuming that is caused by low blood presure, and since cortisol maintains blood presure I'm going to assume that the ringing ears and tunnel vision can be attributed to cortisol.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
    WandaB
    Inactive

WandaB HB User

Could your blood sugar be low?

Old 06-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #8
    KFXrider88
    (male)

KFXrider88 HB User

my blood sugars have tested out ok. My doc is sending me to a neurologist because he thinks my hypothalamus is not responding to the situation it needs to react to, such as when to correct blood pressure and avoid shock. I'm hoping it's just low cortisol though

Old 06-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #9
    k_c_lady
    (female)

k_c_lady HB User

fernan1:

"It took everything i could muster just to perform simple everyday tasks, for example walking from my bed to any where in the house became a "do i really want to go there" type of scenario. the weakness i felt was nothing like i have ever felt before."

I feel ya there! The last one, I had to watch my two year old during the day (before I could go to the hospital after my husband got off work), that was really hard to do!!!

I have had far too many to count. I would have to go to the ER monthly when I was prego for IV's (before i found out). I have had to stay in the hopspital 4 times(last Aug was the worst!) It's like going to the bathroom from your bedroom is a strugle. It feels like there are 30 brick on your chest and you can't even breathe in. And then there is the Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea (i have never gotten diarrhea with a crisis before) Once I start with the Vomiting, I have to go to the hospital. It's just an automatic for me now. It won't stop for me until I go.

I have noticed that I wil retain water, and the muscle cramps will start. And then the Abdomial pain(it hurt so bad in Aug, the hospital gave me liquid Morphine), and the never ending toliet hugging!

I hope things look up for ya! A crisis sucks for everyone! You just have to hope you make it though!

(Has anyone noticed how many ppl have no clue what Addisons even is?)

Closed Thread